Honored Contributor

Re: This is a sort of delicate subject ... but here goes.

Yes, Smooth Move works and now they have a mint flavor which I prefer.  I would not use it on a continual basis, but in a crisis situation it will work.  (When I eat my high fiber plant based diet, I don't have issues.  But when I fast, it can become an issue.)

@wagirl wrote:

@patofl---when I was going thru chemo, I had those issues a few times. I drank a tea called Smooth Move, the evening before and was doing my thing the next a.m. It is an herbal tea that does have anise in it so if you don't like licorice, this may not be for you. I bought mine at my local grocery store at under $6 for many bags. I would steep it and let it cool and then drink it. I cannot tolerate the over the counter things that take 3 days to work---also took a stool softener too. Just the genericc kind that worked well too.

Regular Contributor

Re: Heavy duty depression. Didn't know where to post.

Went to  hospital 2 days ago due to light headedness headache and total body weakness. Well know hospital, did cat scans, blood work, urine, Bp wires all over my chest. They said it could be anxiety and/or dehydration. Not strong enought to drive, feel better lyong down on propped pillows.  Keep bursting into heavy, heavy sobs.Family not available due to something very important. A couple of dear friends want to take me to a hospital known around the country. I live near it. Any thoughts ? Thank you  Felinemom

Honored Contributor

I have a nightly cocktail of orange juice with a cap of Miralax and two heaping teaspoons of Metamucil.  Shake well to dissolve.  You will have a few months of gas from the Metamucil but once that subsides your life will be "regular," as they used to say.  

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@patofl wrote:

Those on pain meds for cronic painful health issues, how do you deal with the constpation that comes from the use of these drugs? I'm only on 50mg of Tramadol, which isn't too strong of a pain med. However, even though I can take up to 1 every 8 hours , I can actually only take one a day because if I take more I just get all bound up! For this reason I never take more than one pain med a day, and, of course, it doesn't last all day. My doctor recommended I take a pericolace with it, and I do. It seems to help some. He warned me it isn't a good idea to take daily laxatives as you can get dependant on them , and be unable to go without them. So I'm wondering what others do about this.

@patofl

I didn't see the source of your chronic pain issue. Personally, regardless of my pain level, the only pain med I can take that has anti-inflammatory properties is Zero, none. That leaves me with no other choice but a Tylenol type of OTC Med. I Will Not take an Opioid of any type for any pain level, temporary or chronic pain.

Many suggested food sources that promote cleaning the bowels, and were I in your position, I would try those remedies to start. My food program consists primarily of complex carbohydrates from fresh fruits/whole grains/100% fruit drinks, and lots of water.

That along with upping the amount of regular body movement(walking/swimming/skating/biking(recumbent or stationary if appropriate), any movement that increases ones Heart Rate. 

My nephew is an Anesthesiologist, and also owns 5 Pain Clinics. He has told me many times that some with "chronic pain issues" have more to do with their perception of their level of pain, than the reality. He has treated some with a Placebo, and they find their pain is gone, or greatly reduced.

He also said that he uses many other things besides Prescription Meds to successfully treat many of his Chronic Pain Patients. That's the best rundown I have to offer to you. Hopefully your are successful in finding relief.

hckynut

@hckynut- Can I ask why you refuse opiods?  Have you had a bad experience with them?  I know it's what they're going to start me on and all along I've been saying I'm afraid of them because I don't want to develop an addiction.  I have also heard to expect some very severe shoulder pain and incision site pain right after surgery, and the medical staff discourages toughing it out.  Normallly, I'm not one to take a lot pain medication except for once in a great while. This is a conundrum for sure.  I keep telling myself to limit the opiod to a few days and then switch to Tylenol.  I can usually tolerate pain pretty well so I wonder if I will really need the opiod at all but I also  believe the post-surgical pain will be like nothing I've ever experienced before.  I'd welcome any input.  

@JeanLouiseFinch

Sometimes a person NEEDS an opioid pain medication.  Post surgery is OFTEN one of those times.  All the demonization these days isn't right, in my personal and professional opinion.  Most surgical patients decrease their use as their pain situation improves.

There is no earthly reason to SUFFER after surgery, and pain medication often helps a person MOVE, which is also crucial after most surgeries.  Addiction is UNCOMMON in these situations.  I am sick of hearing how evil pain medication is when used properly.  Your doctor will know (due to experience) how long most people NEED it.  Go with his recommendation and realize there is no reason to suffer.

Hyacinth (RN)

Respected Contributor

Re: Heavy duty depression. Didn't know where to post.

@felinemom wrote:

Went to  hospital 2 days ago due to light headedness headache and total body weakness. Well know hospital, did cat scans, blood work, urine, Bp wires all over my chest. They said it could be anxiety and/or dehydration. Not strong enought to drive, feel better lyong down on propped pillows.  Keep bursting into heavy, heavy sobs.Family not available due to something very important. A couple of dear friends want to take me to a hospital known around the country. I live near it. Any thoughts ? Thank you  Felinemom

@felinemom

Hope you are doing better.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@patofl wrote:

Those on pain meds for cronic painful health issues, how do you deal with the constpation that comes from the use of these drugs? I'm only on 50mg of Tramadol, which isn't too strong of a pain med. However, even though I can take up to 1 every 8 hours , I can actually only take one a day because if I take more I just get all bound up! For this reason I never take more than one pain med a day, and, of course, it doesn't last all day. My doctor recommended I take a pericolace with it, and I do. It seems to help some. He warned me it isn't a good idea to take daily laxatives as you can get dependant on them , and be unable to go without them. So I'm wondering what others do about this.

@patofl

I didn't see the source of your chronic pain issue. Personally, regardless of my pain level, the only pain med I can take that has anti-inflammatory properties is Zero, none. That leaves me with no other choice but a Tylenol type of OTC Med. I Will Not take an Opioid of any type for any pain level, temporary or chronic pain.

Many suggested food sources that promote cleaning the bowels, and were I in your position, I would try those remedies to start. My food program consists primarily of complex carbohydrates from fresh fruits/whole grains/100% fruit drinks, and lots of water.

That along with upping the amount of regular body movement(walking/swimming/skating/biking(recumbent or stationary if appropriate), any movement that increases ones Heart Rate. 

My nephew is an Anesthesiologist, and also owns 5 Pain Clinics. He has told me many times that some with "chronic pain issues" have more to do with their perception of their level of pain, than the reality. He has treated some with a Placebo, and they find their pain is gone, or greatly reduced.

He also said that he uses many other things besides Prescription Meds to successfully treat many of his Chronic Pain Patients. That's the best rundown I have to offer to you. Hopefully your are successful in finding relief.

hckynut

@hckynut- Can I ask why you refuse opiods?  Have you had a bad experience with them?  I know it's what they're going to start me on and all along I've been saying I'm afraid of them because I don't want to develop an addiction.  I have also heard to expect some very severe shoulder pain and incision site pain right after surgery, and the medical staff discourages toughing it out.  Normallly, I'm not one to take a lot pain medication except for once in a great while. This is a conundrum for sure.  I keep telling myself to limit the opiod to a few days and then switch to Tylenol.  I can usually tolerate pain pretty well so I wonder if I will really need the opiod at all but I also  believe the post-surgical pain will be like nothing I've ever experienced before.  I'd welcome any input.  

@JeanLouiseFinch

Sometimes a person NEEDS an opioid pain medication.  Post surgery is OFTEN one of those times.  All the demonization these days isn't right, in my personal and professional opinion.  Most surgical patients decrease their use as their pain situation improves.

There is no earthly reason to SUFFER after surgery, and pain medication often helps a person MOVE, which is also crucial after most surgeries.  Addiction is UNCOMMON in these situations.  I am sick of hearing how evil pain medication is when used properly.  Your doctor will know (due to experience) how long most people NEED it.  Go with his recommendation and realize there is no reason to suffer.

Hyacinth (RN)

Thank you, @hyacinth003, I found that out.  Whew!!  I had C5/6 ACDF surgery last week and OMG the pain across my shoulders after surgery was quite intense immediately afterwards.  Believe me, I was happy to have the medication!  I stayed on the full dose for several days at home, then went to half doses.   I cut myself off at 1 week post op and went with extra strength Tylenol. My pain and spasms seemed to increase after doing that for a day so I went back on the prescribed pain medication and muscle relaxer, and will stay on both a little longer.  You’re right, there’s no need to suffer or prove anything to anyone.  I trust my doctor and I have confidence in myself to follow his plan for the best outcome.