Esteemed Contributor
On 1/16/2015 Lillyrose said:

You also need to have a doctor listen to your lungs and check for other diseases, like whooping cough and or mono. You might need a chest xray.

Stay hydrated and rest when you can. But be sure to see a doctor, you've had these symptoms too long.

I agree!

I know at least 5 people right now who are sick - sick enough that they're restricted to home. Bronchitis, respiratory infections, and pneumonia. None of them has the flu. There are a lot of illnesses out there, and it's best for each person to find out which one they have. Guessing and asking people on a home-shopping message board makes no sense to me. Small illnesses can become big ones if left untreated. And why would anyone suffer so long, not to mention run the very high risk of infecting other people?

Shortness of breath & wheezing should not be ignored! Neither should a persistent cough. The time for self-diagnosing is long past.

If I was sick with those kinds of symptoms for 2 months and my doctor wouldn't see me for 2-3 more weeks, I would find another doctor.

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/16/2015 Nightowlz said:

Wow cannot believe out of 54 views nobody has any answers???

Trusted Contributor
A person in my office has something like that she can't shake either. She's been taking antibiotics, but they haven't done anything. I told her I wondered if she is taking the correct antibiotic. She is taking amoxicillin. There is something called Levaquin which is the big daddy of antibiotics for respiratory infections, if that's what you have. It comes with certain risks of course, it can weaken tendons in your ankles and feet, I've never had a problem. But of course, see a doctor for a proper diagnosis. Mine will always see me if you press the issue and say you've been sick for so long. Otherwise I'd always go to an Urgent Care place, and if my insurance doesn't cover it, oh well. It's worth it to me to feel better faster! And btw, you said you don't like antibiotics, but for goodness sakes, take them if the doctor says so! What you have could turn into something much worse, and last even longer, if you don't!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
On 1/17/2015 lizzief said: A person in my office has something like that she can't shake either. She's been taking antibiotics, but they haven't done anything. I told her I wondered if she is taking the correct antibiotic. She is taking amoxicillin. There is something called Levaquin which is the big daddy of antibiotics for respiratory infections, if that's what you have. It comes with certain risks of course, it can weaken tendons in your ankles and feet, I've never had a problem. But of course, see a doctor for a proper diagnosis. Mine will always see me if you press the issue and say you've been sick for so long. Otherwise I'd always go to an Urgent Care place, and if my insurance doesn't cover it, oh well. It's worth it to me to feel better faster! And btw, you said you don't like antibiotics, but for goodness sakes, take them if the doctor says so! What you have could turn into something much worse, and last even longer, if you don't!

If I need an antibiotic for something bacterial I would take it. I'm just saying I don't want the doctor to prescribe one if it's a virus which it will not work for. I hate doctors that give out antibiotics for a virus just because the patient wants it or they are not sure what you have so they start with that. I decided to wait until Mon to call & ask to talk to the nurse to see if she will work me in. I think I need a chest x-ray & maybe some other tests to find out for sure what's going on. I want to make sure I don't have pneumonia, bronchitis or any other lung function type disease going on that needs to be addressed. I had an aunt & uncle die from lung cancer. So that's always in the back of my mind with a cough that does not go away.

Honored Contributor

WWebMD is a wonderful site and has a section that spells out the difference between a cold and the flu.

Here's a direct link to the page that lists those differences, you may have to scroll down a bit but you'll see the two columns:

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/flu-cold-symptoms?page=2

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor
On 1/17/2015 Nightowlz said:
On 1/17/2015 lizzief said: A person in my office has something like that she can't shake either. She's been taking antibiotics, but they haven't done anything. I told her I wondered if she is taking the correct antibiotic. She is taking amoxicillin. There is something called Levaquin which is the big daddy of antibiotics for respiratory infections, if that's what you have. It comes with certain risks of course, it can weaken tendons in your ankles and feet, I've never had a problem. But of course, see a doctor for a proper diagnosis. Mine will always see me if you press the issue and say you've been sick for so long. Otherwise I'd always go to an Urgent Care place, and if my insurance doesn't cover it, oh well. It's worth it to me to feel better faster! And btw, you said you don't like antibiotics, but for goodness sakes, take them if the doctor says so! What you have could turn into something much worse, and last even longer, if you don't!

If I need an antibiotic for something bacterial I would take it. I'm just saying I don't want the doctor to prescribe one if it's a virus which it will not work for. I hate doctors that give out antibiotics for a virus just because the patient wants it or they are not sure what you have so they start with that. I decided to wait until Mon to call & ask to talk to the nurse to see if she will work me in. I think I need a chest x-ray & maybe some other tests to find out for sure what's going on. I want to make sure I don't have pneumonia, bronchitis or any other lung function type disease going on that needs to be addressed. I had an aunt & uncle die from lung cancer. So that's always in the back of my mind with a cough that does not go away.

Hope you feel better soon!
Trusted Contributor

Seriously? After only 31 minutes you are posting this? While I sympathize, you have had this for a while, and you expect others to drop things they are doing and respond immediately?

Valued Contributor
I would definitely recommend that you get things checked out. You could get the chest x-ray at Urgent Care. Monday's are the busiest days at a doctor's office, and Monday is a holiday. Hope you feel better soon...
Esteemed Contributor
On 1/17/2015 KYToby said:

Seriously? After only 31 minutes you are posting this? While I sympathize, you have had this for a while, and you expect others to drop things they are doing and respond immediately?

Not only that, but nobody here has the "answers". Even a health care professional cannot possibly provide answers without examining the OP.

Someone with those symptoms (especially shortness of breath & wheezing!) for so long needs more help than she can get from a forum for a home-shopping channel. The answers should come from someone qualified to give them.

Honored Contributor
On 1/16/2015 annabella said: My experience with the flu was it came on REAL fast....within hours I felt BAD...high fever, sweats, aches and pains...body hurts...I also had chest bronchitis and a deep droopy cough. I felt real bad for two days....the third day I broke the fever....and started feeling better. I had no nausea, or vomiting with some flues....others I did have nausea and vomiting. I was Very weak. With a "bug" or cold it gradually comes on Over a few days....rarely a fever...lots of achy ness and runny nose, cough and usually a bad sore throat.....yuk!

This has been my experience too. One minute you feel fine and then bam!!...it hits you like a ton of bricks and you are real sick with high fever, chills, aches and pains. I've only had the real flu just a couple of times in my life.

However I have had plenty of very bad colds and other various viruses with many unpleasant symptoms but they tend to come on more gradually. You know that feeling that you are probably coming down with something? That's not the flu.