Trusted Contributor

My hair isn't thinning but it has become more fine over the years. I have noticed that I have a lot of new hair growth lately and my hair hasn't been breaking as much. So here's what I've been doing since I have no idea for sure what's been working.

Nature's Bounty Biotin 10,000 mcg. I like this brand because I started at 5000 and noticed that some sparse spots in my eyelashes filled in. Bumped it up and I'm thinking that's the biggest thing behind the hair growth.

Once a week use a deep conditioner for five minutes. When it's still wet apply Garnier Marvelous oil. The one I use is discontinued so I'll switch to the new one at some point.

Daily: Herbal Essence Bio Renew Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner.

Super Contributor

Thank you for your feedback and products that help.  I heard that biotin helps with healthy hair so I've been taking a woman's multi-vitamin with biotin for a few weeks and hoping that helps.  I'll pick up the volume  shampoo a poster said has worked well for her...thank you!  I also use Joan Rivers hair fill-in powder...OMG, that stuff works great on the gray roots and thin spots too!   I used to laugh when Lisa Robertson said she panicked one time when she was traveling and forgot it and had it sent directly to her where she was vacationing but I don't laugh anymore because it's truly a great product!!

Respected Contributor

I too have thinning hair due to age (64), heredity, and Tamoxifen.  Thought of trying the laser hair tool but chickened out!  Maybe Viviscal?  Supposedly natural and safe.  I will not use Minoxil.  I do take Biotin.  Not sure if it helps...

Honored Contributor

Thinning hair and baldness has been the story of my life. At the present moment my hair is probably the best it's been in a long time. I'm 62.

Thinning hair, finer hair and hair loss is part of aging. As we age our follicles become miniaturized which leads to shrinking hair diameter and eventually hair loss when the follicles shrink to oblivion. BUT there are things you can do to help slow this down. I have invested in a hair laser and it's the one thing that has made my hair fuller and thicker. Basically it's regrown my hair.

As far as supplements, for me biotin never did anything. I now take bamboo silica powder daily. This substance has many benefits of taking it...hair loss is one of them. It works for me. My hair is so shiny and healthy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Reva wrote:

Thank you for your feedback and products that help.  I heard that biotin helps with healthy hair so I've been taking a woman's multi-vitamin with biotin for a few weeks and hoping that helps.  I'll pick up the volume  shampoo a poster said has worked well for her...thank you!  I also use Joan Rivers hair fill-in powder...OMG, that stuff works great on the gray roots and thin spots too!   I used to laugh when Lisa Robertson said she panicked one time when she was traveling and forgot it and had it sent directly to her where she was vacationing but I don't laugh anymore because it's truly a great product!!

I also have the Joan Rivers powder but it took me quite a few tries before finding a brush that actually laid the product down where needed. But I still find it time consuming to do all that dab dab dabing so more often than not do the hair fiber thing, a few shakes is easier for me.

What I do find difficult either way some days is having to use a hand held mirror as my back is turned to the big mirror to find some of the spots where I need the coverage because some are back a little further and I can't see them looking head on into the mirror. It's all such a pain! Hope I start seeing some results from the Hair Max laser thing over the next month or it might be on it's way back to QVC.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I too have thinning hair due to age (64), heredity, and Tamoxifen.  Thought of trying the laser hair tool but chickened out!  Maybe Viviscal?  Supposedly natural and safe.  I will not use Minoxil.  I do take Biotin.  Not sure if it helps...

Viviscal was a total waste of moeny for me, so was Biosil.

Honored Contributor

Re: Thinning Hair

[ Edited ]

@Retiredpsych wrote:

My hair used to be so thick.  I am 70 and noticed my hair thinning maybe 8 or 10 yrs ago.  I wasn't surprised....I had heard that hair can thin with age and reduced hormones.  I pulled my hair up and that caused some breakage.  I think I have held the hair loss at bay because I religiously take my 10,000 mcg of biotin daily , and, I take collegen in liquid form every day. I have since cut off my pony tail (!! that was so hard to do) and am rocking a bob in hopes that I am giving my hair a reprieve. I won't stop coloring my hair, and my research says that it does not cause hair loss. 

@Retiredpsych  I did stop coloring mine when I noticed the hair loss.  I had been coloring my hair since I was 12  years old (have colored it myself for years) and had my first professional coloring last spring.  My hair began coming out right after that but it had nothing to do with the coloring.  Otherwise, it would have returned once the color grew out.  I am now all natural color of blue gray *(yuk).  I wish I could color it but fear strikes my heart when I stalk the aisles of colors that scream at me to take them home.

Honored Contributor

I can’t help but think the cause of thinning hair comes from within.

Medications/no medications, hormones, nutrition play such a huge part.

Exceptions?  Yes, but but the common explanations of

age, hair coloring, structured diet (pick any one),

not enough vitamins (pick any one)...they’re popular excuses

of issues within which can be always tied back to 

medications/no medications, hormones and/or nutrition.

Valued Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Retiredpsych wrote:

My hair used to be so thick.  I am 70 and noticed my hair thinning maybe 8 or 10 yrs ago.  I wasn't surprised....I had heard that hair can thin with age and reduced hormones.  I pulled my hair up and that caused some breakage.  I think I have held the hair loss at bay because I religiously take my 10,000 mcg of biotin daily , and, I take collegen in liquid form every day. I have since cut off my pony tail (!! that was so hard to do) and am rocking a bob in hopes that I am giving my hair a reprieve. I won't stop coloring my hair, and my research says that it does not cause hair loss. 

@Retiredpsych  I did stop coloring mine when I noticed the hair loss.  I had been coloring my hair since I was 12  years old (have colored it myself for years) and had my first professional coloring last spring.  My hair began coming out right after that but it had nothing to do with the coloring.  Otherwise, it would have returned once the color grew out.  I am now all natural color of blue gray *(yuk).  I wish I could color it but fear strikes my heart when I stalk the aisles of colors that scream at me to take them home.

@Nonametoday, have you considered coloring your hair with henna?  You can mix it with indigo and/or cassia to get shades ranging from blonde to dark brown.  I switched to a henna/indigo/cassia mix almost a year and a half ago and my hair seems thicker and is in great condition.

Honored Contributor

@jazzbabe wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Retiredpsych wrote:

@Nonametoday, have you considered coloring your hair with henna?  You can mix it with indigo and/or cassia to get shades ranging from blonde to dark brown.  I switched to a henna/indigo/cassia mix almost a year and a half ago and my hair seems thicker and is in great condition.

@jazzbabe  I would love to use henna but not sure how to do it.  I did that years ago and it seemed, as I recall, to be quite a messy process but probably because I did not know how.  If I knew someone personally who used it and would allow me to watch them or show me how, I would not fear it...I just don't feel sure enough about using it.  If I find someone who will guide me along, I will do it.