Regular Contributor

Re: Things I'm Learning About Covid

@jubilant I feel your pain - almost literally!  I'm on the downswing from my second bout with Covid.  First time in 2022, I had body aches, fever, fatigue, sore throat and I felt lousy for about 2 weeks.  This time, no fever, body aches or sore throat - and minor fatigue.  However, very strong "cold" symptoms - runny nose, stuffy head, cough, chest congestion.  I did take Paxlovid this time and it made a huge difference in my recovery.  I tested positive on Sunday and tested negative today.  

From what I was told by an infectious disease provider, the virus is different now than the early wave in that so much of the population has been vaccinated and/or had Covid, that now it's longer before the test shows positive.  Where previously we might have obtained a positive reading on day 0 or day 1, now the positive isn't showing up until day 3 to day 5.

The home test we take (antigen test) is not as sensitive as the test administered in a health care facility (PCR test), which is why although you tested negative at  home, you stand a good chance of getting a positive result from your doctor's office.

As everyone else says, get plenty of rest, stay hydrated, treat your symptoms (I found Dayquil and Nyquil offered me much relief, if that's something you can take).  I do hope your symptoms resolve quickly.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We now have 6 adult family members in quarantine with COVID. They went together to the Michigan/ Washington championship football game and all came down with symptoms three days later. All were tested at dr office. They live out-of-state, but we check on them daily to see how they are doing. Two are on Paxlovid and four are not.

They all have different symptoms, and I think COVID just seems to hit each person differently.

It is 13 degrees here with windchill at -2. I am not planning on even opening the front door, let alone being in a crowd. 

Esteemed Contributor

This has been an interesting thread.  Had cataract surgery on 2/14, had bandage removed the next day, upon which time found out one does not immediately see.  Bummer, I thought!  The next day covid symptoms kicked in (extreme tiredness at first).  

Anyways, all I've been doing is taking eye drops, aspirin, nyquil, etc.  Finally enough strength to sign-on line for awhile in between sleeping; not much energy for anything else.

Hoping my covid ends within the two-week period; but been told it could last two months!  Slow-thinking (another symton) so I'll just say even though everybodys gone through so much, your sharing this info has made me feel less alone.

Thank you!  and Brody (my GSHeart)  hasn't gotten it and we're past the catchable time!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A local cousin of mine has had 6 documented Covid infections!  While I haven't seen him since before lockdown, I have talked to him on the phone recently and know he is not in good shape mentally.

My cousin is 71 years old, 5'10" and weighs 125 lbs fully clothed; the worst Covid infection took him down to 87 lbs., every infection has dropped him below 100 lbs.  The last picture I saw of my cousin a month or so ago, he looks 90!  He has dealt with Covid brain since the first infection and multiple infections has left him with very concerning cognitive issues.  I liken his condition to being near the end stage of dementia that took my Mom out of this world last month.  My cousin has very active school age grandchildren that keep his family on the go, which is the activity he needs to stay functioning.  

My cousin has always been a total fanatic about eating; very rigid and restrictive with his food intake, and while he may have had good numbers on test results, his body was in no way healthy enough to fight these infections!  He has no fat, so every time he gets a serious illness/infection, it goes straight to the core of his system and starts attacking everything vital, depleting him within days unless he gets admitted to the hospital for IV's that maintain his body.  With every infection, Drs  have told him he is too lean and his diet has been too restrictive for too long.  He specifically needs more fat and carbs, which is what he eats in the hospital, but he goes back to his old habits at home.  Drs say his brain has suffered and he may never recover full function.    

Honored Contributor

A friend had covid recently. She got over it and felt better. Then she tested positive again one week later.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

When COVID first came out and there were no vaccines my doctor told me to drink fresh ginger, Coenzyme Q-10 300mg, Vitamin C and Zinc.  I continue to take these daily to this day and wear a mask when in closed spaces so far I have not had even the sniffles.  Before COVID I used to get bronchitis and colds every year always on antibotics.