Honored Contributor

Re: They Knew about the Asbestos

Asbestos was common back in the day from insulation to floor tile to hot pads for the kitchen.  You will be surprised 20 years from now or 50 years from now what is banned that is commong.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

I worked in very old building that had an open ceiling where you could see the water pipes. The pipes were wrapped in asbestos. That kind of insulation is not a problem...until it is disturbed by remodeling and construction when the asbestos dust is created. I was talking to a guy who works in this kind of remodeling and he said it costs more to remodel a building with asbestos than it is to just tear it down and rebuild with safer materials.

Trusted Contributor

Asbestos in talc causes ovarian cancer. Cheap talc contain asbestos. Cheap products, including cheap makeup, contain cheap talc. I am now allergic to eye makeup with talc.

Respected Contributor

I myself never used powders, either body or face. I didn’t use baby power on the kids as I couldn’t figure out why you would. They always smelled so sweet.  My mom was a fan of Cashmere Bouquet and always had a can in her bathroom.  I wonder how many other powders are guilty of this.

When I was a kid, our house had asbestos shingles on it. Sometimes they would break off. We would use it as chalk on the driveway, as the asbestos probably blew right up our noses. Who knew?? My mom would collect the broken pieces for us. 

Valued Contributor

Any powder applied to the human body can eventually create cancers, especially the feminie powder sprays which have been documented by medical professionals to create uterine cancers and other cancers.

Best to stop using all powders on the human body.

Honored Contributor

This is what the American Cancer Society has to say about talc

snip

Can I reduce my exposure to talcum powder?

It is not clear if consumer products containing talcum powder increase cancer risk. Studies of personal use of talcum powder have had mixed results, although there is some suggestion of a possible increase in ovarian cancer risk. There is very little evidence at this time that any other forms of cancer are linked with consumer use of talcum powder.

Until more information is available, people concerned about using talcum powder may want to avoid or limit their use of consumer products that contain it.

Valued Contributor

Does Bare Min. make-up have talc too?

Or any other that the Q sells?

Honored Contributor

Just to be clear...

...Today talc used in cosmetics and personal hygiene products is asbestos-free. Talc found in these products is purified to remove asbestos, if any, found in the mineral. Why is asbestos found in talc mineral? Because it is a naturally occurring mineral found in close proximity to where asbestos (also naturally occurring) is found. 

The following statements are from the FDA dot gov site. The entire publication can be found here:

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productsingredients/ingredients/ucm293184.htm

"Talc: What it is and how it is used in cosmetics

Talc is a naturally occurring mineral, mined from the earth, composed of magnesium, silicon, oxygen, and hydrogen. Chemically, talc is a hydrous magnesium silicate with a chemical formula of Mg3Si4O10(OH)2.

Talc has many uses in cosmetics and other personal care products; in food, such as rice and chewing gum; and in the manufacture of tablets. For example, it may be used to absorb moisture, to prevent caking, to make facial makeup opaque, or to improve the feel of a product.

Asbestos: What it is, why it’s a concern, and how to prevent its occurrence in cosmetics

Asbestos is also a naturally occurring silicate mineral, but with a different crystal structure. Both talc and asbestos are naturally occurring minerals that may be found in close proximity in the earth. Unlike talc, however, asbestos is a known carcinogen.

Published scientific literature going back to the 1960s has suggested a possible association between the use of powders containing talc and the incidence of ovarian cancer. However, these studies have not conclusively demonstrated such a link, or if such a link existed, what risk factors might be involved. Nevertheless, questions about the potential contamination of talc with asbestos have been raised since the 1970s.  

To prevent contamination of talc with asbestos, it is essential to select talc mining sites carefully and take steps to purify the ore sufficiently."

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Just to be clear...

...Today talc used in cosmetics and personal hygiene products is asbestos-free. Talc found in these products is purified to remove asbestos, if any, found in the mineral. Why is asbestos found in talc mineral? Because it is a naturally occurring mineral found in close proximity to where asbestos (also naturally occurring) is found. 

The following statements are from the FDA dot gov site. The entire publication can be found here:

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productsingredients/ingredients/ucm293184.htm

"Talc: What it is and how it is used in cosmetics

Talc is a naturally occurring mineral, mined from the earth, composed of magnesium, silicon, oxygen, and hydrogen. Chemically, talc is a hydrous magnesium silicate with a chemical formula of Mg3Si4O10(OH)2.

Talc has many uses in cosmetics and other personal care products; in food, such as rice and chewing gum; and in the manufacture of tablets. For example, it may be used to absorb moisture, to prevent caking, to make facial makeup opaque, or to improve the feel of a product.

Asbestos: What it is, why it’s a concern, and how to prevent its occurrence in cosmetics

Asbestos is also a naturally occurring silicate mineral, but with a different crystal structure. Both talc and asbestos are naturally occurring minerals that may be found in close proximity in the earth. Unlike talc, however, asbestos is a known carcinogen.

Published scientific literature going back to the 1960s has suggested a possible association between the use of powders containing talc and the incidence of ovarian cancer. However, these studies have not conclusively demonstrated such a link, or if such a link existed, what risk factors might be involved. Nevertheless, questions about the potential contamination of talc with asbestos have been raised since the 1970s.  

To prevent contamination of talc with asbestos, it is essential to select talc mining sites carefully and take steps to purify the ore sufficiently."

Thanks for this....so using a light dusting of IT's Celebration foundation over my liquid foundation shouldn't be a issue?  I don't think it contains talc...and I never did use the other kinds of products.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

There's nothing bad about most talc. However, there is certain talc that contains asbestos and some of this talc is found in certain hygiene products...i.e. J&J Baby Powder.  It's not news to me.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4164883/

@SilleeMee  It's not news to many people but it also is unknown to others.  This article is informative but realistically how many people go  to this website just to look at it regardless of topic???

It's easy to find back up once the cat is out of the bag about talc.  It's not so easy to be aware if the issue is hidden by companies and only exposed years later.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh