Honored Contributor

There’s a Prozac shortage in the UK

There’s a Prozac shortage in the UK due to production problems. Patients with enough stock of their current medications are urged to use their supply before getting new scripts filled. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: There’s a Prozac shortage in the UK

[ Edited ]

Wonder if the UK socialized medicine  health care system has read or looking into the current research study  on  how out " gut bacteria " influences our  brain  and mood ?

www.science mag.org/news/2019/02/evidence- mounts-gut-bacteria-can-influence-mood-prevent-depression

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D Typical for human behavior, those with stock will be the first ones running for refills.  You know, needing to beat the crowd, just in case.

This happened with my Levothyroxine 112 mcg dose.  Suddenly the supply was limited, then unavailable in any of my pharmacies.  Seems the 112 dose came primarily from a plant in Puerto Rico that was destroyed in the hurricane.  Who knew, right. With such a common medication, you'd think there would be other sources.  

When speaking with the pharmacist she said:  "Well just get another dose." Really, you can't just change your thyroid supplement dosing. The only realistic option was to buy a few of the brand name -- Synthroid, to hold over.  But changes almost always alter levels, even with the same dose. 

Someone on long term antidepressants needs to be concerned. You can't just stop them. Good idea to have a backup plan with their treatment team, in case this is a prolonged problem.  Mine was.

Honored Contributor

If I was taking Prozac, I wouldn't follow that advice.  If my script allowed it, I'd get a prescription filled now...just in case.  I wouldn't risk running out of it.  

Honored Contributor

I would consider tapering off Prozac and switching to a different antidepressant.  You can't just stop a drug like that without going into withdrawal.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I would consider tapering off Prozac and switching to a different antidepressant.  You can't just stop a drug like that without going into withdrawal.

Patients cannot just taper off by themselves, they have to do it under the supervision of they psychiatrist and there is no way for them to know that another antidepressant would even work for them.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

Patients cannot just taper off by themselves, they have to do it under the supervision of they psychiatrist and there is no way for them to know that another antidepressant would even work for them.  

I didn't mean to suggest they should taper off without their doctor's instructions.  I would never stop a drug of any type without my doctor's instructions.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

GPs were asked to contact patients to see what supplies that had. The problem is over 10,mg 30 mg,  40 mg capsules. The docs were given a list of alternatives including some 10 mg pills from another country. Patients can also take 2, 20 mg pills to substitute for the 40 mg pills in short supply. If I as involved, I wouldn’t get off the pills. The shortage is expected to be over in November. If I had my own supply, I’d use that. If not, I’d get anew script. If necessary I’d take the 10 mg caps from abroad; adding up pills to make whatever doseage I as prescribed.