Respected Contributor

Re: The second shoe dropped.

Sending prayers to both women, and you and your family, too, Di-mc.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Covering your family with prayers, and wishing both daughters-in-law the very best in care and recovery.
Honored Contributor

Wishing your daughters in law the very best. As others have stated great strides have been made in this disease. I also have a young niece that had b.cancer in her 30's and another niece in her mid 50's just finishing up treatment, both girls are doing well.

Super Contributor

On 10/1/2014 di-mc said:

We are all in shock. Both women were/are in their early 40's when diagnosed.

Prayers are appreciated.

Thanks!

I recently saw an article about the prolonged use of birth control pills and breast cancer. There have been some lawsuits ...

Esteemed Contributor

I am really sorry. It's a horrible coincidence. I hope that all goes well for your daughter in law.
Regular Contributor

(((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))) and prayers to you and your family! Stay strong and keep

the faith!

Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 Kathleen said:
On 10/1/2014 di-mc said:

We are all in shock. Both women were/are in their early 40's when diagnosed.

Prayers are appreciated.

Thanks!

I recently saw an article about the prolonged use of birth control pills and breast cancer. There have been some lawsuits ...

We've wondered about that. Both women took the pill for years. It seems to be the only thing they have in common.

Respected Contributor

di-mc prayers for your entire family will be said. I am sure everyone is up set and worried. I think there will be more BC information from taking the birth control pills for all of us who took them. Me included I took them for many years, not for the birth control but for other problems I was having and those were what my doctor put me on.

Respected Contributor

Well, I was a bit off as to what was to happen today. I thought she was having the MRI today, but instead she had an appt. with the surgeon. Why she didn't see the oncologist first, is a mystery to me. Anyway, the surgeon said that they might want to do chemo first, then the surgery. Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks for all the responses; they are greatly appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/1/2014 di-mc said:

Well, I was a bit off as to what was to happen today. I thought she was having the MRI today, but instead she had an appt. with the surgeon. Why she didn't see the oncologist first, is a mystery to me. Anyway, the surgeon said that they might want to do chemo first, then the surgery. Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks for all the responses; they are greatly appreciated.

There are so many questions, I encourage you to visit the Cancer Survivors forum in Health. You will find women there who have been through it all, including nurses who can answer more complex questions. Nothing is off limits, and you will be welcomed with open arms! To answer your question, many times the oncologist is one of the last people you see. The surgeon has to do the work to be able to biopsy the tumor, and stage the cancer so a treatment plan can be developed. And yes, chemo is sometimes used to shrink the tumor before surgery, so that makes sense. The worst part for me was the waiting from appt to appt, waiting for results, waiting for everything! I will share with you what my surgeon told me that got me through it, and I've shared with many: " you will go through some sh&t and then you'll be fine." He was so right! It's 10 yrs later and I am fine! It's a scary time, but she has to be proactive. If something doesn't feel right, get a second opinion. Write down questions before she goes to appts so she doesn't forget something. Go with her or have someone to go with her to appts. It's such an emotional time, you're kind of numb, so you don't really remember everything. You don't really understand what "Breast cancer awareness" means until it happens to you - and it can be a very lonely time because nobody can really understand. Doctors don't have the time to answer your personal questions, so again, I encourage her and you to visit Cancer Survivors, or other groups in your area. You don't have to participate, you can read the posts until you are comfortable with it. Also visit breast cancer.org where you will find lots of information. Not to worry, she really will be fine. Sending hugs as well!