Honored Contributor

Re: The new study out yesterday about meats

@novamc1 wrote:

It requires a lot of knowledge and diligence to maintain a vegetarian diet that contains complete proteins with all the necessary amino acids, all the known essential B vitamins, and all the other  nutrients that occur in all foods, some of which science perhaps hasn't even identified yet.

If people want to eliminate entire classes of foods from their diet, they need to know a lot to make up for what they're not eating.

The few plant foods which contain complete protein include hemp, soybeans and quinoa.  Then you have to convince people, especially older people whose appetites need stimlulation anyway,  to eat enough of this food.

It takes quite an expert to construct a diet of valuable plant foods that will not only completely meet nutritional needs,, but will also  stimulate the appetite of an elderly person whose appetite has declined with age.

I know from experience that it takes some tasty food to get an 90-year-old to keep from wasting away.  I even  have to compensate via diet  for my own  lack of appetite.......If I only  want to eat two times a day, the food I eat had better count.

It also does no good to feed a young child so-called "health foods" such as seeds, sprouts, and greens.  They will not thrive.  They need some fat and they  need some calories and they need some carbohydrates, and they need to get these from foods which taste good to them. (And yes, I know you can steer them gradually toward the right things, but that takes some knowledge and skill as well, so don't bother telling me.)

I was a vocal participant in revamping the menu two times at the federal-agency day care center where my children were enrolled while I was working for the government.  I didn't try to foist that type of food on children, but others did.  They lost the battle, because parents complained when their kids came home in the late afternoon absolutely starving and talking about the weird foods on their plates at lunchtime.

I also was a nutritional pest to my children, who were picky eaters.  But I knew quite a bit about nutrition and managed somehow--by luck or knowledge-- to enable them to grow   into very strong and athletic teenagers and adults.

There is nothing defensive about supporting the right to eat whatever one can tolerate and wants to eat from a panopoly of foods from all sources.  There IS  something defensive about attempting to claim that people will live longer by avoiding certain foods.  I have relatives who ate the crappiest foods you can imagine (including LOTS of processed nitrate-loaded meats), and they lived into their 90s and over the age of 100.

Actually it doesn't take a lot of diligence to get complete proteins from a vegetarian diet, that claim which was perpetuated by Diet for a Small Planet was disputed two decades ago. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@novamc1

It's not difficult to eat a plant-based diet.  Cultures from around the world, for millinenia, have been eating diets based on corn, potatoes, rice, etc. and they lived a healthy life only to populate future generations.  

In fact, just to prove how plant based can be done, Chris Voigt, the director of the Washington State Potato Council, lived on 20lbs or potatoes for 60 days!  Extreme, yes.  BUT...it proved a point.  Required calories, C/P/F, vitamin/minerals are met in a very austere diet.   It's silly to think someone with only pennies to their name is thinking about 'complete' meals.  Fruits/Vegs are readily available everywhere to be eaten with no/little preparation.  

http://www.forksoverknives.com/getting-well-on-twenty-potatoes-a-day/

If one wants to make eating a plant based diet difficult & expensive & troublesome...just to provide a barrier from not doing it...then it's going to be difficult.  But if one opens up to the notion it's inexpensive, clean, creative, time efficient, healthy...then the options are endless (and not even touching the ethical/environmental aspects).

Here's a visual for a plant-based diet.  It's so easy.  Hope this inspires!

image.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

My goodness.  A review of this little thread containing multiple , somewhat "worked up" posts from the same people proves that some people do indeed think they have a horse in the race to save mankind from bad nutrition.

More power to ya!

OH, and good luck with your crusade.........

I'm always really curious about that, actually. I'm not sure that I understand why someone is so interested in what someone else eats or drinks. 

No one knows another person's health background, unless that person decides to share it and ask for some kind of personal advice.

The best thing to do-in my personal opinion-is to follow the dietary advice of your own health care team, as they know your own medical history, and they know what someone's dietary limitations might be.

Honored Contributor

@Toppers wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

My goodness.  A review of this little thread containing multiple , somewhat "worked up" posts from the same people proves that some people do indeed think they have a horse in the race to save mankind from bad nutrition.

More power to ya!

I'm always really curious about that, actually. I'm not sure that I understand why someone is so interested in what someone else eats or drinks. 

No one knows another person's health background, unless that person decides to share it and ask for some kind of personal advice.

The best thing to do-in my personal opinion-is to follow the dietary advice of your own health care team, as they know your own medical history, and they know what someone's dietary limitations might be.

Let me assure you, most M.D.'s no nothing about vitamins, supplements, health and nutrition.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I don't care what others eat or don't eat but what I do have an issue with is when people use anecdotes to try and dispell and dispute scientific evidence about the unhealthy aspects of certain foods.

Also, so many people who claim they want to eat what they want and be darned what the health experts say are the same ones with a multitude of health issues and bemoan and complain about those issues fairly regularly. Sorry but you just can't have it both ways.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@Toppers wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

More power to ya!

Let me assure you, most M.D.'s no nothing about vitamins, supplements, health and nutrition.

You're correct.  Most 4-yr medical schools only have 30~hours of nutritional study.  

@Toppers

Everyone's diet affects us all...just environmentally speaking, which is a whole 'nuther topic for a whole 'nuther day.  

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Toppers wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

More power to ya!

You're correct.  Most 4-yr medical schools only have 30~hours of nutritional study.  

@Toppers

Everyone's diet affects us all...just environmentally speaking, which is a whole 'nuther topic for a whole 'nuther day.  

I thought they received 8 hours.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@KimThib wrote:

These "studies" give me a pain.  The actual statistics are as follows:  People without colon cancer in their family face a 5% risk; if you eat one hot dog a day, your "risk" rises to a whopping 6%.

It's not the study itself you're objecting to, it's the wild headlines.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Toppers

This is actually a very very good point that most people have no clue about. So yes, I suppose I DO care what others eat from the environmental impact standpoint.

Honored Contributor

The findings of recent studies aren't new.  We've known about health problems with processed meat and smoked meat for years.  And not to char our meat on the grill. 

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices