Honored Contributor

Re: The new study out yesterday about meats

@HappyDaze

@Lacey1

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-17232532

Y'all might like this YouTube video.   It's a 1962 BBC newsreel about a newly released study on smoking & cancer link.  

The reporter interviews people on the street.  Denial..definitely.  Funny thing...just substitute smoking with bacon/processed meat & the replies are identical to the ones being mentioned here.  

Interesting to see the same mindset today being said 50 years ago.

Honored Contributor

The fact that you would even equate smoking with eating bacon says a lot. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Cancer causing is cancer causing. Sidsmom was referring to the similarites in mindsets.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My goodness.  A review of this little thread containing multiple , somewhat "worked up" posts from the same people proves that some people do indeed think they have a horse in the race to save mankind from bad nutrition.

More power to ya!

OH, and good luck with your crusade.........

Trusted Contributor

Like I said;VERY defensive!

Respected Contributor

Processed anything is no good and carcinogenic .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@HappyDaze

@Lacey1

Y'all might like this YouTube video.   It's a 1962 BBC newsreel about a newly released study on smoking & cancer link.  

The reporter interviews people on the street.  Denial..definitely.  Funny thing...just substitute smoking with bacon/processed meat & the replies are identical to the ones being mentioned here.  

@sidsmomThat is just crazy! You would have thought we'd all be better educated in terms of health and nutrion by now but it just goes to show you that some things never change, and never will.

Speaking of which, I was just at the cardio rehab place at my local hospital for my husband's first appt and the cardiologist said something interesting- he said that cardiologists now say that sitting (i.e., lack of physical activity) is the "new" smoking! I thought that was really interesting. But I am sure everyone will be up in arms about that and defend their right to sit as much as they want, lol! Smiley Wink

Just an fyi for those interested, they also said that they are finding moderate exercise is actually better for your heart then intense or hard exercising.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

My husband and Mother in law were Vegatarians before it was popular in the 50,S.  They both died of COLON CANCER, NEVER ATE MEAT, FISH OR FOWL.  THEY DID EAT LOTS OF CHEESE, BUTTER CREAMS. Go figure.

My Grandmother and Dad steak every night when I was growing up.  Some kind of meat. HAM, BACON, ETC.  NO CANCER.  

well alot of it also has to do with genetics and if there is a pre-disposition to cancer. And just because you are a vegetarian does not mean you are healthy! Exercise is also important and oddly enough, the vegetarians I know hardly exercise. I often wonder if they think eating that way is good enough. Even working hard on a farm or housecleaning daily is considered a form of exercise so all that factors in.

I have a friend who is a vegetarian and eats really well- very balanced and healthy. Funny thing is, when we were going to college together, she was always sick. She always caught every cold and they'd last forever. It just shows you that being vegetarian is not a panacea.

Several of my friends who are vegetarian are sick a lot too.  They both have colds year round and are always blowing their nose and sniffling.  Neither have allergies.

I eat lunch meat, but it's only  non nitrate type lunchmeat such as what's sold in the packaged section of Whole Foods, etc.  I don't buy much from Whole Foods, but I do buy their lunch meat--turkey.  It's so good.  Trader Joe's has it too, and it's less expensive.  I don't eat red meat, but I eat chicken, fish and turkey.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It requires a lot of knowledge and diligence to maintain a vegetarian diet that contains complete proteins with all the necessary amino acids, all the known essential B vitamins, and all the other  nutrients that occur in all foods, some of which science perhaps hasn't even identified yet.

If people want to eliminate entire classes of foods from their diet, they need to know a lot to make up for what they're not eating.

The few plant foods which contain complete protein include hemp, soybeans and quinoa.  Then you have to convince people, especially older people whose appetites need stimlulation anyway,  to eat enough of this food.

It takes quite an expert to construct a diet of valuable plant foods that will not only completely meet nutritional needs,, but will also  stimulate the appetite of an elderly person whose appetite has declined with age.

I know from experience that it takes some tasty food to get an 90-year-old to keep from wasting away.  I even  have to compensate via diet  for my own  lack of appetite.......If I only  want to eat two times a day, the food I eat had better count.

It also does no good to feed a young child so-called "health foods" such as seeds, sprouts, and greens.  They will not thrive.  They need some fat and they  need some calories and they need some carbohydrates, and they need to get these from foods which taste good to them. (And yes, I know you can steer them gradually toward the right things, but that takes some knowledge and skill as well, so don't bother telling me.)

I was a vocal participant in revamping the menu two times at the federal-agency day care center where my children were enrolled while I was working for the government.  I didn't try to foist that type of food on children, but others did.  They lost the battle, because parents complained when their kids came home in the late afternoon absolutely starving and talking about the weird foods on their plates at lunchtime.

I also was a nutritional pest to my children, who were picky eaters.  But I knew quite a bit about nutrition and managed somehow--by luck or knowledge-- to enable them to grow   into very strong and athletic teenagers and adults.

There is nothing defensive about supporting the right to eat whatever one can tolerate and wants to eat from a panopoly of foods from all sources.  There IS  something defensive about attempting to claim that people will live longer by avoiding certain foods.  I have relatives who ate the crappiest foods you can imagine (including LOTS of processed nitrate-loaded meats), and they lived into their 90s and over the age of 100.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@HappyDaze

@Lacey1

Exactly! I'm on another forum that has mostly men on it, and are they ever upset about this report! Jokes about tree-huggers, 'Bacon is one of the food groups', etc. That same group of forum members also discuss their statins, BP meds and cardiac bypasses. Duh!

BTW: No one is suggesting that everyone should go whole-hog, (pun) vegan. Just give up the cancer-causing foods, that have always been bad for you. Everyone has  story about old Uncle Joe that smoked and drank, and ate bacon and lived to be 100. How many people do you know that have been affected by cancer and heart disease? I'll bet Uncle Joe is the exception.