Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,234
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: The new “Smart Electrical Meters” Do you have one on your home?

[ Edited ]

Yes I have a smart meter. What I like most about it is that it does not require a meter reader to enter my yard to read the meter. Plus I can track my usage on-line and get a good visual graphic shown on the utility company's website. I can go back in time and track all of my utilities this way...electric, gas, water and wastewater...for years gone by since I had the smart meter installed years ago. I even spotted an exact time on the graph when my electric transmitter went faulty and I called the utility company to fix it. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,956
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The new “Smart Electrical Meters” Do you have one on your home?

Yes, have had one for many years. No concerns 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,539
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The new “Smart Electrical Meters” Do you have one on your home?

I have all the concerns mentioned, too.

 

We don't have them yet but both gas & electric announced they're coming. They have mentiioned fees if you opt out. 

 

I'm rural so it will be awhile for them to get out this far but I get promos for $50 prepaid gift cards if you opt in early.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,471
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The new “Smart Electrical Meters” Do you have one on your home?

We've had one now for about 5 years and DH was not happy about it when they were first installed!

 

Now even more so since he's been reading about all of the hazards they pose in addition to wifi which we shut off at night.  Right now I'm plugged into ethernet. Yes it's a pain but makes him happy.  He's concerned in particular because he has a rare autoimmune illness that he feels these devices just make worse...do they?  I don't know but I'm sure they aren't healthy.  We really didn't have to option to opt out on this.   

 

His next big fear is 5G.  It's supposed to be much stronger than 4G but the waves don't carry as far.  Right now we all have big cell towers in select locations.  When 5G comes (it's here now in some areas of the country and will be coming to all within the next year or two) the cell towers will be much smaller (probably installed on light posts) but more numerous.  They will have one every 500 feet or so and DH feels that they could be potentially very bad for your health.  Of course the telecommunications companies are pushing this through.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 583
Registered: ‎10-16-2010

Re: The new “Smart Electrical Meters” Do you have one on your home?

Interesting discussion. Thank you for starting it @SeaMaiden The American Cancer Society has a page discussing this issue. You can Google it. Apparently there have been no studies done on the risk or safety of these transmitting devices. The ACS says that the antennas are usually installed outside one's home so the radiation exposure is lower. But our antennas are inside the house. And we weren't allowed to opt out.

 

We in fact got a rather threatening letter from our power co. saying that if we didn't let their subcontractor installer in the house by a certain date our power would be cut off. These weird-looking guys with no identification kept showing up at our door and I wouldn't let them in the house without some form of i.d. In fact at one point I phoned the power company while one of these guys stood at our front door and they denied knowing anything about the guy and had no way to verify him. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,231
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: The new “Smart Electrical Meters” Do you have one on your home?


@Jersey Born wrote:

Thank you for posting about this, SeaMaiden.  When these meters come to my neighborhood, I will be opting out, too.  I don't care about real time information about my energy usage.  These meters are not only a health hazard; these meters give rise to some serious privacy issues, too.  The energy companies actually sell your usage data (and they can tell the energy signature of every single appliance you use and when you use it -- or when you don't use it, too) to data mining companies who make a profile about you.  If you take a shower every day at 6 PM, because you are a dog groomer and you want to wash off the dog smell on your person, your big data profile might indicate you are a partier who goes out at night and that is why you are taking your showers so late in the evening. That erroneous profile, allegedly describing what you do with your days and nights, is sold to countless other third parties whom you have no knowledge about. That means that your energy company is not only making money from you due to your energy usage, they are also making money of the energy usage data in real time that they get from their/your Smart Meters. (That was stated in the video I am about to mention.) The video is called "Take Back Your Power", and I highly recommend that anyone who is interested in this topic should watch it.  There is no cost associated with watching it, and the video is easily found online.

 

Additionally, "smart" meters are not grounded like the older analog meters are, so the Smart Meters present a fire hazard, too. Everyone should have the option to opt out, if only for this reason, even if they do not believe that Smart Meters constitute an Electromagnetic Frequency (EMF) health risk.  Google "Smart Meter Fires"and "Smart Meter explosions" and see what you find. The more you read about them, the more concerned you become.


@Jersey Born  ThankYOU for posting this information.  I did want to post everything that I knew about this issue,but, I knew so many people are sensitive to someone refusing what THE MASSES let happen to them.  I knew some peopke would  just blow it off....but myself being a concerned person about MY RIGHTS.....my choices.... and my health, I want the issue at least brought to the fore front.  

 

Just because the power company says IT IS SAFE, DO NOT FRET... do not believe that for a minute. And once they put the new meter on your home, it is much harder to get it taken off down the road.

 

 Information is Golden.....each of us can decide for themselves on this issue.  Just because you do not have an OPT OUT offered....you can still refuse the meter...call, send a letter....whatever to let them know you SAY NO to the meter.

 

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,231
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: The new “Smart Electrical Meters” Do you have one on your home?


@AuntMame wrote:

Interesting discussion. Thank you for starting it @SeaMaiden The American Cancer Society has a page discussing this issue. You can Google it. Apparently there have been no studies done on the risk or safety of these transmitting devices. The ACS says that the antennas are usually installed outside one's home so the radiation exposure is lower. But our antennas are inside the house. And we weren't allowed to opt out.

 

We in fact got a rather threatening letter from our power co. saying that if we didn't let their subcontractor installer in the house by a certain date our power would be cut off. These weird-looking guys with no identification kept showing up at our door and I wouldn't let them in the house without some form of i.d. In fact at one point I phoned the power company while one of these guys stood at our front door and they denied knowing anything about the guy and had no way to verify him. 


@AuntMame    Yes, I have heard such stories about people being harassed and made fearful of having their power shut off if they do not comply....   So wrong and SO ILLEGAL by the power company.  You always can opt out.  You just need to stay strong to your convictions... and they can not turn off your power LEGALLY.  This is a scare tactic.  So sorry you were so intimidated by these bullies.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,944
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The new “Smart Electrical Meters” Do you have one on your home?

WE have had one for years, and I don't know of anyone, that has health issues ,because of it..

Highlighted
Contributor
Posts: 54
Registered: ‎09-04-2014

Re: The new “Smart Electrical Meters” Do you have one on your home?


@haddon9 wrote:

We've had one now for about 5 years and DH was not happy about it when they were first installed!

 

Now even more so since he's been reading about all of the hazards they pose in addition to wifi which we shut off at night.  Right now I'm plugged into ethernet. Yes it's a pain but makes him happy.  He's concerned in particular because he has a rare autoimmune illness that he feels these devices just make worse...do they?  I don't know but I'm sure they aren't healthy.  We really didn't have to option to opt out on this.   

 

His next big fear is 5G.  It's supposed to be much stronger than 4G but the waves don't carry as far.  Right now we all have big cell towers in select locations.  When 5G comes (it's here now in some areas of the country and will be coming to all within the next year or two) the cell towers will be much smaller (probably installed on light posts) but more numerous.  They will have one every 500 feet or so and DH feels that they could be potentially very bad for your health.  Of course the telecommunications companies are pushing this through.


We had no option for having 5G.  Within 1 week of having 5G installed, our dog began having seizures.  Took our dog to the vet of course and the vet was stumped as to why our dog would have them now. All testing came back OK. The only change we had was the 5G plus during this same time, I was waking up with severe headaches every morning. 

 

I started looking into the dangers of 5G and smart meters.  I made faraday cages for our modem/wi-fi box/smart meter.  You can buy these but you can also make them yourselves.    Once we put the Faraday cages up, our dog stopped having seizures.  Also we unplug our Internet connection at night. If I don't unplug it, I get massive headaches. The Faraday cages do not interrupt any of the services.  People can check it out for themselves and decide. It's my understanding, when you get 5G you basically have the cell tower in your house. Problem is, say you opt out of all this technology, your whole neighborhood/city has them. There really is no escaping.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,399
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: The new “Smart Electrical Meters” Do you have one on your home?


@Forbidden Fruit wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

We've had one now for about 5 years and DH was not happy about it when they were first installed!

 

Now even more so since he's been reading about all of the hazards they pose in addition to wifi which we shut off at night.  Right now I'm plugged into ethernet. Yes it's a pain but makes him happy.  He's concerned in particular because he has a rare autoimmune illness that he feels these devices just make worse...do they?  I don't know but I'm sure they aren't healthy.  We really didn't have to option to opt out on this.   

 

His next big fear is 5G.  It's supposed to be much stronger than 4G but the waves don't carry as far.  Right now we all have big cell towers in select locations.  When 5G comes (it's here now in some areas of the country and will be coming to all within the next year or two) the cell towers will be much smaller (probably installed on light posts) but more numerous.  They will have one every 500 feet or so and DH feels that they could be potentially very bad for your health.  Of course the telecommunications companies are pushing this through.


We had no option for having 5G.  Within 1 week of having 5G installed, our dog began having seizures.  Took our dog to the vet of course and the vet was stumped as to why our dog would have them now. All testing came back OK. The only change we had was the 5G plus during this same time, I was waking up with severe headaches every morning. 

 

I started looking into the dangers of 5G and smart meters.  I made faraday cages for our modem/wi-fi box/smart meter.  You can buy these but you can also make them yourselves.    Once we put the Faraday cages up, our dog stopped having seizures.  Also we unplug our Internet connection at night. If I don't unplug it, I get massive headaches. The Faraday cages do not interrupt any of the services.  People can check it out for themselves and decide. It's my understanding, when you get 5G you basically have the cell tower in your house. Problem is, say you opt out of all this technology, your whole neighborhood/city has them. There really is no escaping.


@Forbidden Fruit @haddon9

 

DH was talking about 5G last night. He said when they tried it a lot of birds died. I don't know where he saw or read this or if it's even true. He probably saw it on Facebook.

I'm going to check out Faraday Cages. Thx for the tip.

We have way too much wireless in our home. That's what DH wants but I don't like it.