Honored Contributor

The multi drug resistant salmonella outbreak in dog treats has sickened more than 100 people.

[ Edited ]

There have been a couple of threads about the salmonella contaminated dog treats made from pig ears. These same treats have sickened over 100 people with salmonella. The strain of salmonella is multi drug resistant. 

According to the CDC,” Epidemiologic evidence indicates that contact with pig ear dog treats is the likely source of this outbreak. In interviews, 63 (90%) of 70 ill people reported contact with a dog before getting sick. Of 49 people with available information, 34 (69%) reported contact with pig ear dog treats or with dogs who were fed pig ear dog treats.”

A key message here is that an infected dog can give a human the infection or a human can contract the infection by coming into contact with the contaminated treats or with anything the treats came in contact with.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The multi drug resistant salmonella outbreak in dog treats has sickened more than 100 people.

[ Edited ]

People really need to learn to wash their hands after handling these products.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Re: The multi drug resistant salmonella outbreak in dog treats has sickened more than 100 people.

The reports on this are kinda confusing.

The ‘backyard chicken’ reports make seem like they caused

2 deaths in 2 totally separate states. Wonder why they would

add this to the dog-treat warning?

9EAC45D1-C915-4A1F-82CE-730FAF2311A8.jpeg

B44CC5EC-B415-4EFB-841D-C5182B4DE8BC.jpeg

D436130F-F48B-4A81-B638-6FE83E0FF0E0.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

USA TODAY just lumped two separate outbreaks into one article. The outbreaks are unrelated.

Respected Contributor

So, even the people who only touched the treats or just touched the infected dog got the salmonella too?  Wow, that IS scary.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

RE:  2 people who died.

Were they from the backyard flocks or the pig treats?

And the ‘backyard flocks’ sounds very isolated.

What state(s) were they in?  We’re the part of the hospitalized or death?

Plus..a small % of people get sick & grocery stores wipe away 

a product only suspected of cause....but 2 people DIE

over 750 people get sick/hospitalized...and it’s barely a ‘MEH’.

I can’t imagine that many people buying pig-earred dog treats from 

one particular manufacturer.  It’s a very niche product. 

Wonder if pet stores are wiping anything related to dog treats

off the shelves?  

Esteemed Contributor

I always wash my hands after handling any pet food and human food. It’s scary though. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

People really need to learn to wash their hands after handling these products.

And don't  let your dog lick you, especially in the face.  I'd never give these pig ears to my dogs or the hooves.  They just look like harbingers of salmonella. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

No worries here.  I do not give or allow my dogs to eat this garbage.  I don't 

trust it to be handled correctly or be clean.

if you go into a Pet Store, these items are stored in big uncovered bins. Or wrapped in plastic that looks like it has been melted together a couple of years ago.  Gross!

Respected Contributor

This is awful!  I always washed my hands anytime I fed dogs or cats no matter what.