Honored Contributor

Re: The importance of hand washing

@dex  I am around kids who cough and have runny noses a few times a week.  I have always been fortunate that I am pretty immune to respitory illnesses.

If a stomach bug is going around, I get that once in a while. My digestive system is always out of wack....Celiac Disease and IBS.

Honored Contributor

I'm a retired medical lab worker in a pathology lab. No one needs to tell me how how important it is to wash my hands. You wouldn't believe some of the infections people get from dirty hands. I've seen that stuff first hand.

Contributor

After many years working in a hospital, I guess I am pretty much germaphobic.  When I'm out, I always wash my hands BEFORE and AFTER going to the bathroom.  A nurse told me that if there's anything on your hands you don't want to transfer it when you are wiping.  We were also taught to use the paper towel to turn the water faucet off after washing hands, and use the towel to open the door.  Eating out at buffets totally grosses me out.  I think restaurants should have hand sanitizer dispensers at the doors and at the start of the buffet line with a sign instructing diners to please clean their hands before touching all the utensils!!

Honored Contributor

I adhere to the normal hand washing but I am not a germaphobe. I eat at buffets but not often. I just don't usually care for the food. 

I rarely get sick. I can remember having the flu once. I rarely get a cold. Growing up, I wasn't allowed to stay home from school unless I was sick to my stomach and that didn't happen often.

My husband is the one with the hand sanitizer all the time.

Honored Contributor

Wow such germaphobes! I am aghast of those who won't eat at a salad bar? Really? Don't eat dinner out at a restaurant? Don't touch the menu? Oh come on now! I wash my hands when needed and never, ever get sick with anything. Just use common sense and live your life happily. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't trust buffets with good reason.Some years ago there was a terrible political fight out west. One of the parties plotted a way to win the elections

They went to salad bars, at all the major restaurants, in the voting area ,and tainted the food  surfaces with Salmonella. People were hospitalized, and deathly ill. Fortunately no one died

I don't want to eat food that the public has sneezed and coughed on..

Honored Contributor

I constantly pet dogs....all day, every day and night.  Before I touch any food I wash my hands so, between that and the bathroom, I do a lot of hand washing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Wow such germaphobes! I am aghast of those who won't eat at a salad bar? Really? Don't eat dinner out at a restaurant? Don't touch the menu? Oh come on now! I wash my hands when needed and never, ever get sick with anything. Just use common sense and live your life happily. Woman Happy

@ID2, you have often shared on the forums that you are a Type 1 diabetic. Therefore you have an autoimmune disease. It is interesting that you have never been advised that you need to take precautions. I also saw a post from you similar to this one on another thread. You need to share your secret how you manage to never get sick.

Respected Contributor

In nursing school, we were taught how to wash your hands.  If you turn off the faucet with clean hands, you have "dirty" hands again.  The trick is to turn off the faucet with a dry paper towel.  If the paper towel is wet, capillary action allows the germs to go through the wet towel to your clean hands.  Children should be taught how to wash hands properly. 

Honored Contributor

Where in the world do these people get their ideas!! Sorry but I wash my hands all the time and use just normal soap---and I make sure to wash my hands after handling the groceries I bring home----went thru chemo a few years ago and HAD to be very mindful of making sure I washed my hands. also wipe them again after reading and handling menus----not a germ a phob but can you imagine how funky menus are!!???