Esteemed Contributor

It's not your age, it is reaction to the weather.  Weather man did a presentation on it this morning.  He stressed to stay hydrated!

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

I don’t like heat either.I get a headache or feel dizzy if out too long.My DH loves the heat and can function well and work hard without any problems.I am sure I dissapoint him as he would love to live in year round summer somewhere.

@dex ~ Hopefully, you live in a climate that gives you the best of both! 🤗

Respected Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

San Diego is gorgeous! I would move there today if it weren't for my grandkids  ...the weather is perfect. lots to do and beautiful beachesl

@fourpaws56 ~ San Diego is nice, and expensive!  

Valued Contributor

I hate summer.  Always have, always will.  I just hate the heat.  Give me 30 degrees any day and I’m happy!  It’s been 100 degrees here and it’s so hard to go to work in this!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your replies. I am obviously in good company. I did take water with me today in a insulated travel mug and it stayed cool while I was running errands.

I am very thankful for A/C in my car and home. I stayed with my grandparents a lot whe I was little and they didn't have airconditioing in their house. They had fans that just seemed to blow hot air around. When they got older, they got a window unit and they didn't use it very often, go figure. I think I'd die now.

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 We live in Washington state so there is actually a short summer and many cool days to enjoy during the rest of the seasons.Too much rain for DH but I don’t mind the rain.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@AKgirl2 We live in Washington state so there is actually a short summer and many cool days to enjoy during the rest of the seasons.Too much rain for DH but I don’t mind the rain.

@dex ~ summer is very short here as well.  We had a run of beautiful weather last week, sunny and it even reached a high of 83!  Winters are snowy, cloudy and cold.  We've been here 3 1/2 yrs.  Since I'm from the east coast, and lived in Utah for 17 yrs., I'm used to the snow and cold weather.  I don't know how I would do in hot, dry/damp weather now.  Before moving to Alaska, I lived in AZ (southern and northern), so I'm familiar with "hot" weather.  Gotta say, the weather (year round) was some of the best I've experienced while living in Grand Canyon, AZ.

Honored Contributor

@happycat

Since I worked for over 30 years in a 100+° manufacturing plant/trained outside running in hot humid weather/all sports and hobbies I was involved with, involved heat and humidity, and hot race cars!  Heat does not effect me any differently at 79, than it did in my 20's or 30's.

Still do not have AC on when my wife is off Pet Sitting (which was all but 3 days in June). Don't use AC in vehicles unless my wife is with me, and so on. Was 96 here today, was 1 of my ice skating days. The ice rink is cool, but after I warm up my body and internal blood temperatures, most of the 2 hour skating involves sweating, not being cool.

My being acclimated to heat over decades could be a difference, or maybe gender or even genetics. I am more inclined to think it has more to do with my lifestyle, in which much of my life was spent on hot environments, and/or activities that involved higher body temperatures, ie-acclimation. One thing I have always done is stay WELL HYDRATED with good ole H2o, that cannot be overstated.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut, that is awesome, that you are not adversly affected. I do think people become aclimated to it, at least sometimes, I think thats why my grandparents didn't mind it. Of course, they knew nothig else until they were up in years.

I remember you posting about getting back into ice skating. I'm so happy you are skating again. Makes my heart happy.

Respected Contributor

I don't do well in the heat either.  I have rosacea so it's like putting gasoline on a fire...not a good idea.  Since I have fatigue (possible chronic fatigue per my doctor) intense heat wears me out and then dizziness/vertigo well heat can bring that on also.  I LOVE AC!  I thank GOD for that invention LOL!!  

I can tolerate being out in the shade for a good while...of course I drink water all day long too.  But if it gets so humid/thick out with sunshine just beating down on me (no shade) I will wilt quickly.  Even wearing my UPF50 hat doesn't help much.  In tropical locations just the reflected back heat from the pavement or sand feels like my face is being burned within minutes and of course it is when I check a mirror!  

Yesterday I had some running around to do and stopped at 5 different stores....I did a good amount of walking.  I was really tired when I got home...cleaned up....put on chili....and had to crash for awhile to try and recover.  My feet were hurting....my body was hurting all over.

Woke up today and I am pretty much wiped out.  I want to enjoy the summer sun and warmth....I love this time of yr and not the long freezing cold snowy grey days of winter.  My body just doesn't do so well like I want it to.  But I like spring summer time best.