Respected Contributor

Re: The aftermath of being in ICU

I have worked in ICU and CCU a lot.

Many people have little to no memory of it. But, you may be experiencing a delayed reaction to all the physical and emotional stress you went through.

Your body is still healing too. Talk about it to close family and friends. Give yourself time to heal.

Please talk to your doctor about it.

Wishing you all the best.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

It sometimes takes a bit of time to return back to normal. I'm sure the doc will tell you this at your next appointment. Try to be positive toward yourself! That's the best 'medicine' often times. Sending you a big hug and wishes for a quick recovery!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear of your health problems. I agree with others.....seems to be normal feelings. I know anesthesia REALLY threw my mom for a loop each time she had it, and it took a long time for her to return to normal feelings. Also, meds can do a number on you. Take care and feel better soon. Demitra
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Poodlepet2. I was wondering about you today. I've miss your posts. I am so sorry that you are going through a rough time. Been there, after a bad accident, no fun. The drugs they gave you will take a while to work out of your system, but you should improve continually. I remember well the feeling of not having control of my life. It is really scary. I had been divorced, owned a home and raised the children by myself and suddenly I was helpless. I remember having to ask the nurse to move the sheet because it was too tight and pulling my toes down, like socks that were too small. I could use my right arm and my left leg, that's all. However, I have been pain fee and pain pill free for several years now. THERE IS HOPE. Don't give up, you will heal, just give yourself time (that's hard to do). It is difficult to remember all the particulars of that time now. This too will pass. Prayers that it happens quickly.

Super Contributor

Poodlepet: I am so glad that you decided to post and hope that by doing so and the responses from these caring posters will be comforting to you. I am in agreement with comments by several posters regarding the trauma you have experienced, both physically and emotionally. Despite the blessing that you do not remember a lot of your experience, the mind is very powerful and it certainly often reacts later after trauma occurs.

Try to be good to yourself and patient with this process. Please keep us posted on how you are doing as you feel able. Many blessings to you and your DH!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank goodness you survived! Of course you are traumatized by this experience, don't be hard on yourself. Give yourself time to deal with it and for your body to recover. Know that many of us are sending you love and prayers.

Honored Contributor

I can only speak from my experience. My Dad had a stroke while riding his bike after a charity bike ride. He was found near his house on the street. He spent 10 days in ICU. There were days when he was fine and days he wasn't. It was a roller coaster ride for him and me.

I can't help but think it was part stroke and part medication. Times when we could talk and time he wasn't making sense when he was in the hospital. But in his case he went to rehab for 6 weeks. That was so helpful. They explained and helped him though the mental and physical changes his body and mind were going through. They got him walking again but they also helped him learn a lot of things that he had to ""relearn"".

The rehab he went to was strictly for people who had strokes. He really came out of there with a better understanding about his limits and what he had to do to get past the damage that was done.

Maybe you could get some rehab and they would be able to help you with all that your body has gone through in these 5 weeks. I am sure your body is still healing and so is the rest of you.

I know with my Dad it took months for him to get his mental clarity back. And I truly think that the rehab helped him to do better than anyone thought he could.

Please give yourself more time to recover.

Valued Contributor

I'm not saying this to be rude or mean about you went through. However, The Lord gave you another chance, you have to use it.

Maybe to have you go through this, in order to wake you up, have you wake up someone else??? Do not dwell on the negative, enjoy the days ahead.

Go outside, lift your face to the sun and say thank you Lord.

You have the chance now to be happy and share yourself with others. Get out there girl and smile.

Honored Contributor

I am glad you decided to share your experience and feelings. Hearing what others have experienced can help. I remember feeling very insecure, after thyroid surgery in 1994. I had a small child to care for, and my DH worked long hours. Maybe the medications given have affected you. Take it easy, and let your doctor know how you are feeling. I hope each day you begin to feel a little better. It is a shock to be told you almost passed away. God bless.
Trusted Contributor

I have read that what you are experiencing is very common when people undergo life-threatening procedures and traumas, particularly the emotional aspects. It's a sort of PTSD, you've been through a lot, both physically and mentally, it's tough for your brain to process it all. Even having gone through breast cancer, I experienced something similar, I'd find myself crying and very emotional. Give yourself time, and if you don't feel better, mention it to your doctor. A little depression can also be a side effect of some of the meds you're taking. Bottom line, you made it, life is good!