Valued Contributor

The store called The Relax the Back store has these types of recliners. We have a local store with them available to sit in and try out. Another option for electrical recliners is a DME store, durable medical equiptment. You can usually try them out in a local store of your choice. 

Respected Contributor

@froggy wrote:

Is anyone familiar with this recliner/lift chair that is advertised in magazines in Sunday supplements? My husband and I are in the market for new recliners and apparently we're really picky because nothing we try at the furniture stores is comfortable to us. And that does include Lazyboy. 

I would be willing to pay their price (around$2K) if it is indeed as good as advertised. However there is nowhere to try it in person and I can't pay that much without trying it. And I'm pretty sure it can't be returned.

Not asking for recommendations for other chairs - just wondering if anyone had experience with this particular product/company.

Hi froggy,

I am having hip replacement next week and rented a recliner (duo motor) for a month from our local Medical Supply stores.  They have a very large array of recliner chairs to purchase and the prices that I saw were mostly under 2K.  Lots of nice ones and the staff is VERY helpful.  You may want to consider shoppijng at this kind of store to make your choice.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

A store in our area has a TV ad for a Trendlenburg position, where your legs make a 45 degree angle above  you.  I assume it's for heart patients.  

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

A store in our area has a TV ad for a Trendlenburg position, where your legs make a 45 degree angle above  you.  I assume it's for heart patients.  

@depglass 

I remember Tony Little having an recliner that declined enough to be considered as "inversion". Think it was HSN a few months ago. I don't remember the degree of Inversion, but his legs were definitely much higher than his head.

Never heard anything about this being used for heart patients, especially for those that have had a Coronary Infarction. Most of those patients are on BP Meds, and Inversion and doing "inversion" is a dangerous thing to do.

I know my Cardiologist told me in no uncertain terms: "When you are on BP Meds, absolutely NO Inversion". As soon as I got off the meds, I bought a Teeter Inversion Table.

Never heard of this Trendlenburg thing from anyone connected to Cardiology. May be something new?

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

First, minor spelling error.  It's Trendelenburg.  It has been used for low blood pressure situations, also some surgery.  What I skimmed from Google says they need studies on this position, the jury is still out.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've noticed that very few recliners on the market actually fully recline for sleeping. I'd be very dubious of something advertised in magazines or newspapers.  If it was any good, it would be available where you could see it.

@Kachina624   I have an old recliner that lays flat, but maye those arent made any longer.  I don't use that feature, have at times, but do reline back quite a bit.

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

If it says no returns unless damaged or defective, thatvis a huge red flag. I would keep looking for something you can see and try before purchasing. I am also looking for a set of recliners, but have a small room for them...most I have seen are so big, puffy, and ugly, I may never find one I like. Happy hunting! 

@Duckncover have you looked at Stressless recliners.  Those aren't big puffy recliners.  Usually, I would see the TV ads in the mall while eating lunch.  They always looked nice and modern to me.  But, I had two problems with the models shown.  1. It had a separate foot rest which wouldn't work for me since I have a coffee table right in front of my EZ chair and my laptop sits on it waiting for me to come sit and lift it onto my lap.  I do see they now have integrated foot rests available now.  2.  They didn't rock.  Rocking is a must for me while upright.  Not sure if any of them now have a rocking function.  

Respected Contributor

Re: The Perfect Sleep Chair

[ Edited ]

I suggest--if you  have a LazyBoy furniture store anywhere nearby-- that you do what my DH did and has been satisfied for several years now in what he bought.  He shopped til he dropped to find that chair.

If you can find  LazyBoy recliners in-store or online, go for the more expensive models that plug into an electric outlet, have a remote control and adjust everything from top to bottom of the body.

DH has a history of blood clots and  Parkinson's, and Is most comfortable in his leather recliner with elevated leg/foot rest and options for reclining backward.

In bed, he  uses a contoured foam leg rest (such as pictured below) to keep his lower limbs comfortably elevated.  He keeps his head and back flat while in bed, but if someone needs to have their head elevated, a wedged head/back rest might work.

Lounge Doctor Elevating Leg Rest Pillow Wedge w Cooling Gel Memory Foam LIGHT BLUE Cover Small 24"-Foot Pillow-Leg Support-reduce swelling-improves circulation

Respected Contributor

@froggy wrote:

Is anyone familiar with this recliner/lift chair that is advertised in magazines in Sunday supplements? My husband and I are in the market for new recliners and apparently we're really picky because nothing we try at the furniture stores is comfortable to us. And that does include Lazyboy. 

I would be willing to pay their price (around$2K) if it is indeed as good as advertised. However there is nowhere to try it in person and I can't pay that much without trying it. And I'm pretty sure it can't be returned.

Not asking for recommendations for other chairs - just wondering if anyone had experience with this particular product/company.

My Mom had a lift chair.  A very large and wide one that reclined into a sleeping position.  Most furniture stores sell them and medical stores, like those that sell hospital beds, wheelchairs, etc....also sell them (but those are probably really expensive).  The key to the chair is the motor, make sure there is a very good warranty and a company that stands by it and will go to your house to fix it if need be.  My Mom's chair was from Boscov's, large selection.  I'd research first.  Google "best lift chair", etc.  

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 

I think @froggy  said they tried Lazy Boy and were not successful. 

Our 2 exactly the same recliners, are electric and recline to close to 85°. As I have said quite often, I have not slept in a bed for close to sever decades. Only recliners.

I too have a history of PE, 2 different occasions, and managed to somehow stay alive. My reason for the recliner is because of some sort of spinal nerve issue. Only time I have an issue is in any type of bed, and I bought an adjustable bed over 30 years ago.

My friend is a Spinal Micro Surgeon and he did my last back surgery. His advice? He sees no spinal issue with my back, so keep sleeping in your recliner.

hckynut    🇺🇸   🇺🇦

hckynut(john)