Honored Contributor

Re: The Obsession to be Thin!

We had a doctor in our small town who we called the diet pill doctor. This guy would sell speed to over weight women right out of his office. I do not doubt that just about every woman in our town who was 20 pounds over weight saw this man for diet pills.  The doctor did not refer these women to a dietitian or even give them healthy diet suggestions, just the pills. Of course this was in the 60's and 70's when doctor's were not so highly scrutinized and women were not as savvy about diet and just being healthy in general. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am always surprised to hear how people have all these speed and pain drugs... I could not get them even when I needed them.  Even with my four joint replacements... I was struggling to get enough pain pills and my doctor made me wean off of them in two weeks.  Where the heck do people go to get addictied to these drugs???? I guess I just do not have the connections..... I could not be a junkie if I TRIED,

As far as pain meds, we have had at least 2 pain clinics open in the last year in our small town. I have never been, have no reason to, but I wonder if thats where people get them now?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt 

Roux-en-Y surgery is grossly misunderstood by many. Similar to putting a splint on a broken bone does not heal it, Gastric Bypass surgery is actually a temporary tool, to help a person get to the real source of their food issues. 

Anyone that believes Roux-en-Y surgery is a miracle solution to controlling their body weight and/or composition are only fooling themselves. Any Bariatric Surgeon that does not make this a part of a person's Pre-Surgical Procedure, to me is not a reputable surgeon to be doing this type of surgery.

As far as Roux-en-Y surgery leading to a serious addiction, I have read no studies to indicate that as a conclusion. My wife had this surgery in 2008, even though I tried to persuade her otherwise. Once she made her decision  I backed her 100% in her post surgical process.

This tool worked well for her and 12 years later she has maintained her desired body weight. How? By doing the same things she learned to do(with help of her Roux-en-Y)post surgery, not simply relying on the Surgery to be her miracle.

For many that surgery is a successful tool, but to those that think it was/is a miracle solution for weight loss and control over the long term(the rest of their life), it more likely will not be their reality. 

Guess this is kinda off the main topic here, but the thread title certainly mentions obsession to be thin. To me, the word thin in relation to a person's body weight, is a very subjective thing. As a former long and middle distance runner, I heard "you are too thin" a lot, always from non runners.

I will end with this. Too many see "a scale weight" to be more than it actually is, and that is a wrong conclusion.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@Tricolor wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@Gorgf, where was she getting it?

I am no expert, but I'm afraid if she took these for 30 years, she may need more than a 30 day stint to get off of them.

I imagine she would need more and more of it as she got older. I use to take adderall, and after a few years, I needed or felt like I needed a stronger dose, a few years after that, it felt like I needed to up it again. It was very difficult for me to get off (give up, if we are being honest) I gained 10 lbs, but quit having little chest pains.

Anyway, I hope this relative of yours can successfully get off it.

So many medications are easy to get addicted to, and we don't think about long term effects.

People are certainly more aware of the addicting qualties of medications than they were in years past. I worked in the medical field before such an influx of overdoses and chronic addiction. I think people thought it was safe to take these meds because a doctor was prescribing them. In defense of the doctors, they were misled by the pharmaceutical companies who claimed that their particular med was safe.

It's naive to give the docs a free pass on this. 

I agree 100%.  Back in the late 60's and early 70's when I was in HS, we were taught that drugs were highly addictive and it was explained which ones were.

As far back as the 1920's and probably before  then many people were addicted to drugs.  Back then there were no laws and drugs could be obtained easily.

The doctors knew.  I know they did.  I was a teenager and I knew and I didn't go to med school.  

You can't blame this on big Pharma....the blame goes to the doctors who prescribed these types of medications.  Many doctors don't really care about their patients, they only care about their income.

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

I have a cousin  through marriage who called me yesterday to tell me his wife who is nearly 70 has been using Speed to be rail thin. She is  now in treatment for a month. She had bypass surgery in 1985 but I also witnessed she ate junk and never seemed to have learned to eat healthy.

She has been doing this 50 yrs. fooled family,friends. coworkers, much less Drs. and mental health professionals especially the past five years as displayed manic behavior  dementia and chronic depression. She was falling and dehydrated off and on drank diet pop all day long. Would not take medication unless he reminded her and got that mixed up. While in treatment be found pills hid all over the house as she forgot where she put them enough to fill a quart jar.

She had to have minor intestinal surgery 15 years ago and was so malnourished they had to give her nutritional feeding to operate.

She is lucky to be alive. They also care for her 94 yr.old  Mother part time with her sister.

He gave her an ultimatum to quit using and make changes or leaving her.  He wants to travel and do things and tired.I like them both  and they are nice people and hope it gets better. She was lead teacher in a 30 plus career in a large HS. All the Doctors she saw over the years and no one ,even people close to her had a clue or they did and denied it?  

The husband is not a caring man. The wife had psychiatric and emotional issues and is in need of compassion. It might help if he got off his rear and bothered to learn about the causal factors behind this development and what he can do to help. Giving the wife an ultimatum shows immaturity and callousness. I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns out to be part of the cause of the wife’s problems. Eating disorders can be life threatening. I hope the husband gains some insight. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Gorgf wrote:

I have a cousin  through marriage who called me yesterday to tell me his wife who is nearly 70 has been using Speed to be rail thin. She is  now in treatment for a month. She had bypass surgery in 1985 but I also witnessed she ate junk and never seemed to have learned to eat healthy.

She has been doing this 50 yrs. fooled family,friends. coworkers, much less Drs. and mental health professionals especially the past five years as displayed manic behavior  dementia and chronic depression. She was falling and dehydrated off and on drank diet pop all day long. Would not take medication unless he reminded her and got that mixed up. While in treatment be found pills hid all over the house as she forgot where she put them enough to fill a quart jar.

She had to have minor intestinal surgery 15 years ago and was so malnourished they had to give her nutritional feeding to operate.

She is lucky to be alive. They also care for her 94 yr.old  Mother part time with her sister.

He gave her an ultimatum to quit using and make changes or leaving her.  He wants to travel and do things and tired.I like them both  and they are nice people and hope it gets better. She was lead teacher in a 30 plus career in a large HS. All the Doctors she saw over the years and no one ,even people close to her had a clue or they did and denied it?  

The husband is not a caring man. The wife had psychiatric and emotional issues and is in need of compassion. It might help if he got off his rear and bothered to learn about the causal factors behind this development and what he can do to help. Giving the wife an ultimatum shows immaturity and callousness. I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns out to be part of the cause of the wife’s problems. Eating disorders can be life threatening. I hope the husband gains some insight. 

Where on earth has he been for fifty years? He never noticed the changes? The ultimatum is ridiculous.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gorgf wrote:

She admitted taking them to be continually thin and became addicted to remain  thin, thus obsessed with being thin and fearing being overweight  again and stated that as the reason she took them. She never learned how to diet nutrionally .She is in a inhouse treatment center for drugs for a month with no visitors. I have seen Obsessive Compulsive behaviors in this person as well.

She would not have taken them but like an anorexic wanted the rail thin image. My cousin suspects her hairdresser as supplying  them. We will see. They live in Ca.

I am sorry I posted with some of the remarks. I thought of providing an awareness  here and if the title isn't to your opinion , so  sorry. It is not only young people involved with drugs and can be hidden for years. If she didn't dwell on being  thin and scared of being overweight she would not have started that drugs. Yes it could have been something else down the line ?

Sounds like there’s the possibility of body dysmorphic disorder, an eating disorder and/or OCD. This person is not choosing to be this way. Amphetamines and eating disorders have a relationship. Successful treatment is more difficult when patients have

these comorbidities. An expert is essential. 

Read the Abstract of the study linked below for more information. http://www.jneuropsychiatry.org/peer-review/the-problem-of-eating-disorders-and-comorbid-psychostimu...

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Gorgf 

This is an interesting and not so happy story. However, the thread title is not what I expected to read. While there are many with real obsessions, be it weight/OCD and hypochondria, just because many watch their body composition, including their scale weight? I don't draw a conclusion of them being obsessed.

As for your cousin? It sounds like there were those that knew, but didn't want a conflict with her. 

hckynut(john)

I agree, that unfortunate woman's problems are not about  a quest to be thin.  Not at all.

Body dysmorphic disorder usually leads to obsession.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal

Yes, and that is a mental disorder. I mentioned in 1 of my posts in this thread that "seeking help for mental problems should not be seen as a weakness, but as a strength". That however is still seen that way by too many people. 

I don't know the depth of this specific disorder, but I know by personal experience the depth of Diagnosed Anxiety/Panic Disorder and also of Diagnosed Clinical Depression. The worst times in my whole very long life.

hckynut

hckynut(john)