Honored Contributor

Re: The Obsession to be Thin!

I am always surprised to hear how people have all these speed and pain drugs... I could not get them even when I needed them.  Even with my four joint replacements... I was struggling to get enough pain pills and my doctor made me wean off of them in two weeks.  Where the heck do people go to get addictied to these drugs???? I guess I just do not have the connections..... I could not be a junkie if I TRIED,

Honored Contributor

My guess is it goes beyond addiction to someone who doesn't feel good in their own skin..Many people turn to things like this ,because they feel unhappy about themselves, and insecure

I don't think anyone starts out to become an addict. They are deeply unhappy, and trying to self medicate. It helps for a while I guess

Respected Contributor

There are more closet substance abusers, than most realize. One could even be your doctor, or surgeon.  Scary, I know, but true.  

They are masters at hiding evidence, until they no longer can. The longer term effects begin to become more obvious, but they'll maintain it must be from an undiagnosed illness.  They can be at death's door, but won't disclose.  

With any suspicion, you'd think those providing care would opt for a serum tox screen. We always did, even with clients professing they never took unauthorized drugs.  

The screens would often come back, dirty as could be.  Eliminating their ability to deny, leads to proper therapy and interventions, although stats aren't particularly good.     

Esteemed Contributor

There is always a source if you are looking.

Long ago I lived in Saudi Arabia when TWA had the pilot contract and lived in their own compound.  Yep that long ago.

They were the source of all evil -  Christmas tree branches, hard liquor, uncensored Time magazines, parts for stills.....

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

And the sad thing is rail thin is so unattractive. At her age, I can't imagine things improving.

@AuntG 

I think the sad thing is her addiction.

Looking "unattractive" is really secondary.  IMHO, of course.

Honored Contributor

Speed??????  Is she buying amphetamines off the internet?  She's 70 years old and she has some lifelong deeply entrenched eating and nutritional issues.  The addiction is probably the easy part, assuming she really wants to beat that.  She probably doesn't.  This is just who she is. 

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf 

This is an interesting and not so happy story. However, the thread title is not what I expected to read. While there are many with real obsessions, be it weight/OCD and hypochondria, just because many watch their body composition, including their scale weight? I don't draw a conclusion of them being obsessed.

As for your cousin? It sounds like there were those that knew, but didn't want a conflict with her. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

The thread title is misleading.

Her addiction has nothing to do with the 'Obsession to be Thin.'

It's unfortunate the Public still doesn't understand addictions. 
Maybe that's why there's an issue....

@sidsmom 

Thank you!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

Doesn't seem that the underlying problem here is an "obsession to be thin."  More likely mental illness and addiction.  And ordering her to stop on pain of leaving her is not the solution.  Psychiatry and rehab -- if not an ER -- might be the place to start. 

@vsm 

I agree. The title of this thread was misleading to me.  Getting Psychiatric Care is not a weakness, I see it as a strength. Seem like @Gorgf cousin might have done well to start there. The person closest to her might have tried to steer her there.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Gorgf 

This is an interesting and not so happy story. However, the thread title is not what I expected to read. While there are many with real obsessions, be it weight/OCD and hypochondria, just because many watch their body composition, including their scale weight? I don't draw a conclusion of them being obsessed.

As for your cousin? It sounds like there were those that knew, but didn't want a conflict with her. 

hckynut(john)

I agree, that unfortunate woman's problems are not about  a quest to be thin.  Not at all.