Respected Contributor

Re: The Obsession to be Thin!

Doesn't seem that the underlying problem here is an "obsession to be thin."  More likely mental illness and addiction.  And ordering her to stop on pain of leaving her is not the solution.  Psychiatry and rehab -- if not an ER -- might be the place to start. 

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr@Gorgf I couldn't disagree more.  That "solution" is a recipe for disaster, as it could induce withdrawal-induced psychosis.  It's obvious even to a layman that she needs emergency medical attention.

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@ValuSkr@Gorgf I couldn't disagree more.  That "solution" is a recipe for disaster, as it could induce withdrawal-induced psychosis.  It's obvious even to a layman that she needs emergency medical attention.

Yes, you are right.  He should at least find out where her supply is coming from and take it from there.

Respected Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@Gorgf, where was she getting it?

I am no expert, but I'm afraid if she took these for 30 years, she may need more than a 30 day stint to get off of them.

I imagine she would need more and more of it as she got older. I use to take adderall, and after a few years, I needed or felt like I needed a stronger dose, a few years after that, it felt like I needed to up it again. It was very difficult for me to get off (give up, if we are being honest) I gained 10 lbs, but quit having little chest pains.

Anyway, I hope this relative of yours can successfully get off it.

So many medications are easy to get addicted to, and we don't think about long term effects.

People are certainly more aware of the addicting qualties of medications than they were in years past. I worked in the medical field before such an influx of overdoses and chronic addiction. I think people thought it was safe to take these meds because a doctor was prescribing them. In defense of the doctors, they were misled by the pharmaceutical companies who claimed that their particular med was safe.

It's naive to give the docs a free pass on this. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

The thread title is misleading.

Her addiction has nothing to do with the 'Obsession to be Thin.'

It's unfortunate the Public still doesn't understand addictions. 
Maybe that's why there's an issue....

You are very very wise.

Honored Contributor

If it's true speed aka meth than that is one of the most highly controlled and addictive substances and she would have had to have been on someone's radar.  Insurance companies started policing C-II prescriptions about two years ago.  

If she is taking supplements or using pseudoephedrine, that is still OTC although pseudoephedrine is still a pharmacy visit with federal record keeping.  

Wherever she is obtaining, I hope she seeks help which will be just as long term as her addiction.  Her husband needs to speak with her care team and get educated on her illness.  I absolutely wish them both the best.

Valued Contributor

She obviously has a mental health issue that needs to be addessed. You don't leave someone you love when they need you the most! There could be many reasons she's been taking pills. Pain, depression, low self esteem etc. Please get her the help she needs. 

Respected Contributor

Often times people who have had gastric bypass surgery become alcoholics or addicts. This fact is in the medical literature. I have lost 2 friends who had bypass surgery and then died of alcoholism. One was 43 and the other was 61. Bypass surgery is not the answer to weight loss in my opinion. Obesity is a mental disorder in my opinion. Many eat to soothe our emotional stress/pain. Once the ability to do that with food, many turn to drugs or alcohol. 

Respected Contributor

She admitted taking them to be continually thin and became addicted to remain  thin, thus obsessed with being thin and fearing being overweight  again and stated that as the reason she took them. She never learned how to diet nutrionally .She is in a inhouse treatment center for drugs for a month with no visitors. I have seen Obsessive Compulsive behaviors in this person as well.

She would not have taken them but like an anorexic wanted the rail thin image. My cousin suspects her hairdresser as supplying  them. We will see. They live in Ca.

I am sorry I posted with some of the remarks. I thought of providing an awareness  here and if the title isn't to your opinion , so  sorry. It is not only young people involved with drugs and can be hidden for years. If she didn't dwell on being  thin and scared of being overweight she would not have started that drugs. Yes it could have been something else down the line ?

Respected Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

She admitted taking them to be continually thin and became addicted to remain  thin, thus obsessed with being thin and fearing being overweight  again and stated that as the reason she took them. She never learned how to diet nutrionally .She is in a inhouse treatment center for drugs for a month with no visitors. I have seen Obsessive Compulsive behaviors in this person as well.

She would not have taken them but like an anorexic wanted the rail thin image. My cousin suspects her hairdresser as supplying  them. We will see. They live in Ca.

I am sorry I posted with some of the remarks. I thought of providing an awareness  here and if the title isn't to your opinion , so  sorry. It is not only young people involved with drugs and can be hidden for years. If she didn't dwell on being  thin and scared of being overweight she would not have started that drugs. Yes it could have been something else down the line ?

Hopefully she will be treated by experts in the field of eating disorders and addiction. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky