Esteemed Contributor

The No Bending Knee Mystery Solved.

We finally got hold of the PT person at Dr.'s office.  We had her on speaker phone and told her what discharge order said.  My Dr. must have been right next to her because all we heard was him yelling "Bend the hell out of that knee."

Evidently the nurse who wrote the order didn't write the correct thing.  I am now bending and doing my exercises.

Luckily, the few days of not bending didn't hurt anything because I have no problem doing it.  Finally, geez Loiuse.

Trusted Contributor

Re: The No Bending Knee Mystery Solved.

Glad to hear you got that straightened out. Good thing you checked it out. I'm going through knee issues currently and it's definitely no fun.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

That was a serious mistake that the nurse made.  I'm glad the doctor was sitting there and you got it straightened out.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

We finally got hold of the PT person at Dr.'s office.  We had her on speaker phone and told her what discharge order said.  My Dr. must have been right next to her because all we heard was him yelling "Bend the hell out of that knee."

Evidently the nurse who wrote the order didn't write the correct thing.  I am now bending and doing my exercises.

Luckily, the few days of not bending didn't hurt anything because I have no problem doing it.  Finally, geez Loiuse.

I hope it is clear sailing from now on and you heal quickly.I guess your pt peeps were right after all.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I thought about you over the weekend.  Out of the blue, my right knee started swelling up huge and turned red on Friday.  Over the weekend I was in great pain whenever I would try to bend it.  Had to go down the stars one foot at a time.  I'm thinking some kind of bacterial infection (I didn't fall or aggravate it in any way).  I didn't want to go sit at the urgent care, so I called my doctor's office this morning and they are taking me at 3:30 today.

Every time I tried to bend it, I thought about you and your surgery.  I wondered if it felt anything like that.......it sure did hurt!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Discharge nurses make a lot of mistakes.  Serious in the case of my husband.

She took it upon herself to re-write the prescriptions on the computer the doctor ordered for my husband.  She doubled the dosage amount on one of them.  I'm glad I had the actual script from the doctor in his own handwriting and caught it. 

Honored Contributor

Based on my hospital experience, the mistake was made by the PT for applying patient discharge instructions to the job she’s getting paid to do.   She should’ve walked into OP’s house ready to start warming that knee with basic beginner exercises and then progressed to higher repetitions or starting something more intense.   

Hospitals have basic discharge instructions and doctors standing orders built into their computer system.   They are printed for each patient, and added to as needed.  I worked in the office that handled the physician standing orders; we typed them as submitted, got the physician to sign them, posted the orders online for nursing accessibility, and kept the signed orders on file in notebooks, ready for review by any state or federal reviewer.  

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop  The PT person came Friday fully expecting to start my exercises until she saw the discharge order.  It was a form with some boxes checked, however the "do not bend right leg" was hand written.

My home health wanted to make sure there was not a reason it was written that way as not to cause any damage.

Wherever the mess up was it is fixed now.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2,

Please ask your PT to wash their hands before they start your in home sessions.   I only know 2 people who had in home PT, and both wound up with staph infections in their incisions.

My husband had Home Health here 3x a week for 8 months; NO infections, because from visit number one, I made sure every nurse washed their hands.  Bathroom light was on, Dial soap and clean towel waiting on them.   The used towel went into the wet laundry bucket as soon as they left.   

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

From my many hospital discharges not 1 mistake was ever made. I can't imagine any competent doctor discharging a patient that showed any sign of an underlying serious issue. Infection/possible blood clots or a completely unmovable limb.

My wife's new knee was bent by PT many times prior to her discharge, I assumed that was a standard procedure that any Orthopedic Surgeon would require with that specific surgery. Don't make any sense to me.

Now @CrazyKittyLvr2  Onward to fully independent mobility. My wife is getting there ending week #3, even after a 3 day setback with her swelling issue. Go get 'em!

hckynut

hckynut(john)