Esteemed Contributor

My son called today and at his rehab session with exercises for surgery on his shoulder the lady noticed a bulge were his liver is. I looked up about a fat  belly which he has since he has been out of work 7 months. I don't want to nag to see a doctor but-- doesn't drink much and I hope not hepititas.  Anything you could tell me also about the liver I would be greateful to help alleviate worries. I realize it might be nothing.

Esteemed Contributor

I just got another call from my son and he is going to make an apponitment. He also added when the lady pressed on him it didn't hurt. A blood test should tell if anything.

Esteemed Contributor

Now were it still hockey season? A player in my adult league pratices at the Nebraska Medical Center. He is a Liver Surgeon who also does liver transplants. I know he would tell me possibilities, but I also know he woud suggest this.

Have your son get a referral to see a doctor in his profession, one that specializes in liver issues. 

My belief has always been "I don't worry about things that may even transpire". Have him see his GP first and go from there.

That is exactly what I would do.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I would suggest that until he knows what is going on with this lump, bulge, whatever, I wouldn't keep pressing on it. It could be his spleen.  I am really surprised that the rehab therapist didn't follow through with this.

Let us know what happens.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

It could be fatty liver syndrom.  It's fairly common with few symptoms.  His doctor will tell him how to control it, usually diet and exercise. 

Honored Contributor

I really don't know if it's good or bad for a person who is not an M.D. to make scary "diagnoses".    An optician told my husband he had a cancerous spot on his forehead.   NO.....it was a birthmark.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

One of my best friends was diagnosed with an enlarged, fatty liver about 8 years ago.  She continues to do well with whatever treatment was prescribed, and no other issues have surfaced.  

Valued Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

It could be fatty liver syndrom.  It's fairly common with few symptoms.  His doctor will tell him how to control it, usually diet and exercise. 

This is exactly what I was going to say.  His doctor will be able to help.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Mayo Clinic on the Internet is a good source of information.  Just google "liver diseases" and choose the Mayo Clinic source.

Of course see a doctor.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Thre liver has no nreve endings and wont 'hurt'. Have your son get a full liver panel taken by his physician.