Honored Contributor

Re: The Last Week of the NFL Regular Season!!! Countdown to the Super Bowl!!!

That was an interesting game from a strategic viewpoint. The first play of the game the Patriots tried to test the tackling ability of Richard Sherman and his bad arm by putting Gronkowski out there one on one with him and tossing a short pass to Gronk. I think Belichick wanted to see if Sherman could bring him down. Belichick never got the chance to find out as a Seahawk linebacker dashed over to make the tackle. Smart defensive call by the Seahawks and that linebacker to recognize the situation and react to it.

Pete Carroll is getting a lot of heat for his last play. I don't really have a problem with passing the ball there, but I might have opted for a different route. The Patriots were crashing the line of scrimmage with all eleven defenders to try and stop Marshawn Lynch, so a corner route likely would have had a receiver wide open. Put Russell Wilson in motion and if he has a lane, run it in, if not then there should have been a receiver open in the end zone for an easy TD. A pass right on the goal line with the Patriots defenders crashing the line of scrimmage didn't give the pick a chance to work and put a defender right where he needed to be to pick off the ball.

Those who insist he should have run the ball there don't understand that any run in that situation would be out-manned and unlikely to succeed. That was a passing situation, but I would have gone with a run/pass option for Wilson and run a corner route instead of trying a pick on the goal line. The Patriots sold out to stop the run and could have been made to look silly with an easy toss to the back corner, but they guessed right (got lucky really) in that the Seahawks while passing chose the wrong route combo. A back corner fade would likely have been wide open and an easy TD.

It was a pretty entertaining game and a good halftime show too. Pete Carroll's going to take a lot of heat, but he guessed that the Patriots would be more conservative than they were and they wouldn't have their corners crashing as quickly as they did. A tenth of a second hesitation on the corner's part and it's a TD. Had Pete Carroll called my preferred corner fade with a run option and the Patriots were in pass defense they would have had to throw the ball away and waste a down and time. If he'd given it to Lynch and the Pats crashed the line as they did, then the run would have gone for nothing or lost yards. In this case both coaches guessed wrong, but Belichick got lucky in that his move ended up putting a defender in the right place at the right time.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

That was one of the best Super bowls I'd ever seen! If not for the interception, the thing people would be talking about it is the amazing catch by Kearse. Instead, bad play calling by the Seahawks. They should have had Lynch run the ball; why throw it? You just don't take chances like that when you face New England. (The Colts probably already figured that out.)

Anyway, congrats to New England! I chose them to win in my football picks, just because I know how that team just never gives up. There are going to be many changes now, so let the Patriots and their fans enjoy this win.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

Give the defender credit, the kid is a rookie; he read it....it goes to the arrogance of Carroll and Wilson, tho I like them both, they just felt invincible after the Kearse catch which in my opinion was the highest point of a great game...if it were not for one catch, GB would be in the SB and that is the nature of football
Honored Contributor

gardenman, how did you feel about that "non-call" that happened when one of the patriots went down and then reached out with his hand and caused the seahawk to trip?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Sunshine45. That was a fast occuring play where it was easy for an official to miss it. Those things happen and there's not a lot you can do about it. The officials pretty much kept the flags in their pockets most of the game. There was a ton of down the field contact from both teams and the officials just let them play. Had they followed the rules set down in training camp and the preseason games there would have been flags on most passing plays. The officials tried to stay out if the way though and let the players play.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

On 2/2/2015 gardenman said: Sunshine45. That was a fast occuring play where it was easy for an official to miss it. Those things happen and there's not a lot you can do about it. The officials pretty much kept the flags in their pockets most of the game. There was a ton of down the field contact from both teams and the officials just let them play. Had they followed the rules set down in training camp and the preseason games there would have been flags on most passing plays. The officials tried to stay out if the way though and let the players play.

it really was a BAD non-call though.....

yes, i did also see some "interference" that was not called on both sides.

is it just because it is the superbowl that they try to stay out of it as much as then can then?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein