Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I googled the ingredients and there won't be any Impossible burgers in my future. Just more junk food marketed to people who won't/can't eat meat. 

Exactly....I'll be eating meat instead of fake meat!!

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I googled the ingredients and there won't be any Impossible burgers in my future. Just more junk food marketed to people who won't/can't eat meat. 

ITA! For all the calories, saturated fat and sodium I’ll eat my beef burger thank you.  

Super Contributor

Re: The Impossible

[ Edited ]

@pdxlalesley wrote:

Yes, I have tried it.  As a prepared burger and by purchasing at a local grocery store as patties, and as a  crumble in frozen form.

I like it, and as a burger it's great, can't tell the difference.  As an add-in I used the crumbles in a pasta dish.  Tasted great right after prep, but reheating in the microwave makes the crumbles hard and dry.  I have not yet reheated in a pan or the oven. I should, though.  My Dr. wants me on a plant-based diet.

I have repurchased twice and will continue.

In reading through the various replies, it seems that there’s a lot of sodium in this!?

I don’t use added salt and stay away from sodium loaded foods.

Ive recently added meat to my diet in a very  limited amount, after 

decades of being vegetarian. (there are several health related reasons),

But I cringed, grimaced and felt guilty as heck.

(It’s hard for me to eat anything that Has A Face)....

Anyway, I’m not trying to start a debate, but rather a discussion about 

meat replacement products.

I never bothered eating fake meat products and just carefully combined other foods (rice n beans!) to get enough “complete protein “ in my diet.

I was not a strict VEGAN, but rather a lacto-ovo vegetarian,  meaning I ate 

dairy/egg products .

Im thinking this “meat’ might do well as meatballs with pasta? 

A sharp marinara could help disquise any “fake” taste...

But if it is loaded w salt, I’d eat it only occasionally.

I limit meat to one or two meals a week. Sometimes it’s chicken

or a few sausage links.

I admit...it is tasting REAL GOOD, but the guilt afterwards is becoming Not Worth it.

After decades of avoiding meats, I actually feel like a hypocrite..big time.

(I did not enforce my diet on my family, but meat was not a focus. They did not choose to become vegetarians. I can’t blame them, as the options were slim and I’m not much of a chef!) lol

Honored Contributor

@JumpTheRope 

Nutritionally speaking, there’s no need for meat replacement products.

In fact, there’s no need for high protein anything, if consuming enough calories.

Also, the ‘complete protein’ is a nutritional myth, which has been

debunked many times over, so there’s no reason angst over this. 

What makes AltMeats & real meat taste good is the SOS...

salt/oil/sugar which is added, yes? Like I mentioned upthread,

there’s an ethical/environmental thought w/ consuming 

animal products/byproducts which should make us all think twice.

Is there a place for Alternative Meats? Yes, for occasional consumption

(very occasional) but whole plant foods will always reign supreme 

in terms of health & wellness...and honestly? They taste a 1000x better!

Just look for recipes online! So many creative PB cooks out there!💚🌿

Super Contributor

Re: The Impossible

[ Edited ]

f

I've always stayed away from the center aisles in grocery stores and shopped the outer circle where dairy, produce, etc. are.

The middle aisles have factory-made fake "food" that's only made to 

fatten us up, rot our teeth and give us illnesses.

All the additives, preservatives and chemicals are truly scary as to what they are doing to the human body.

I did read many years ago that in certain foods were better eaten together as they formed a "complete protein" (such as rice with beans).

Granted, this was many years ago and I forget the specifics, but it stuck in my head! (and I don't even remember the benefit of a complete protein now.......!)

Since I can remember, I've shied away from eating "anything with a face"

and at my age now, after decades of  dedication, I've had an occasional 

animal protein meal.

Even typing those words makes me sick.

Maybe I needed to spell it out, in order to get myself back on track.

Many years ago, there weren't all the hundreds of "health food" stores/restaurants like there is now. It was actually simpler to make 

food choices!

Thanks for the information regarding all the stuff added to meat replacement products. I guess I assumed that these foods would be "healthier"

than the animal protein products.  I'm sure the sellers of these products

count on folks to make that same assumption.

Esteemed Contributor

Soy isn't wonderful for some of us.

Digesting soy can hit your estrogen receptors and trigger PMS like symptoms.

I'll pass on any Monsanto created Frankenfoods as the only economics they're interested in are their own.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom @I would add that it could encourage more to become vegan or vegetarian as they they can still eat something that tastes like meat.Most of the men I know want a good burger once 8n awhile so if this makes them happy they could eventually give up meat without feeling deprived.....sort of like weaning off smoking with those electronic cigarettes.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom @Unfortunately plant based diets are not packaged and most people don’t spend much time in the kitchen..young children are tough to sell this diet to.they just don’t like theirfruits and veggies much.I think it is a very reasonable and affordable eating style but if you can’t buy it ready made it is not going to be popular.

Honored Contributor

@JumpTheRope wrote:

I've always stayed away from the center aisles in grocery stores and shopped the outer circle where dairy, produce, etc. are. The middle aisles have factory-made fake "food" that's only made to 

fatten us up, rot our teeth and give us illnesses.

All the additives, preservatives and chemicals are truly scary as to what they are doing to the human body.

I did read many years ago that in certain foods were better eaten together as they formed a "complete protein" (such as rice with beans).

Granted, this was many years ago and I forget the specifics, but it stuck in my head! (and I don't even remember the benefit of a complete protein now.......!)

Since I can remember, I've shied away from eating "anything with a face" and at my age now, after decades of  dedication, I've had an occasional animal protein meal.

Even typing those words makes me sick.

Maybe I needed to spell it out, in order to get myself back on track.

Many years ago, there weren't all the hundreds of "health food" stores/restaurants like there is now. It was actually simpler to make 

food choices!

Thanks for the information regarding all the stuff added to meat replacement products. I guess I assumed that these foods would be "healthier" than the animal protein products.  I'm sure the sellers of these products count on folks to make that same assumption.

@JumpTheRope 

Back story....the ‘Complete Protein’ myth was started by the author,

Frances Moore Lappé when she wrote, Diet for a Small Planet, in the 70s.

She has personally debunked herself (!), but this is a myth that just

won’t die!  If one is consuming enough calories, protein is not a worry.

I remember when brown rice was edgy! I remember drinking soy milk made with powder (before the Tetra Pak was introduced)...and remember when Gardenburgers were rolled out. So many innovations! 

Not eating anything with a face....true. It’s stunning to see the normal, natural life of an animal versus the manufactured life of an animal. So abbreviated, it’s disheartening.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@sidsmom @Unfortunately plant based diets are not packaged and most people don’t spend much time in the kitchen..young children are tough to sell this diet to.they just don’t like theirfruits and veggies much.I think it is a very reasonable and affordable eating style but if you can’t buy it ready made it is not going to be popular.

It’s definitely harder to eat WFPB while eating out but just like anything, if there’s a will, there’s a way.

If young kids have issues not eating fruit/veg, it’s because their parents have instilled that behavior.  They get their young’ns hooked on salt/oil/sugar at such a young age, they don’t know what real food tastes like. It’s extremely sad to see that play out in real time. The addiction is real.  Unfortunately, the disease from eating this way is real, as well. 

If a family is determined, it doesn’t take much time to cook.

Couple hours to shop/wash/prep/batch cook & you’re done for the week. Eating some baked potatoes a week later is not a problem...eating week-old meat or dairy? There’s might be issues of going bad.  Cooked fruit/veg just lasts longer w/out animal products/byproducts. 

No one, no matter whatever end of the diet spectrum you land, would think processed foods are good.  That’s why If consumed, it needs to be an occasional...very occasional...food.  But after awhile, eating unadorned food...you don’t crave the junky processed stuff.