Super Contributor

Burger is available at a nearby, very nice, Restaurant 

(called O’Connors) and I can’t wait to try it!

From what I’ve read, Burger King is rolling it out in some markets, but I

would prefer a nice sit down with atmosphere....

not  to mention I can order it “my way”! 

So far, if a person is NOT AWARE that they are eating a plant based burger,

they don’t notice any real difference in taste or texture.

In some tests, if the taster IS AWARE the burger is not  beef, there are some 

who do notice a slight difference.

Ive been skeptical of trying any meat-replacement type of foods. I’ve never bought any or ate any...

until NOW! 

Anyone else try try this Yet?

Super Contributor

Re: The Impossible

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have tried it.  As a prepared burger and by purchasing at a local grocery store as patties, and as a  crumble in frozen form.

I like it, and as a burger it's great, can't tell the difference.  As an add-in I used the crumbles in a pasta dish.  Tasted great right after prep, but reheating in the microwave makes the crumbles hard and dry.  I have not yet reheated in a pan or the oven. I should, though.  My Dr. wants me on a plant-based diet.

I have repurchased twice and will continue.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I haven't seen it yet, but did my homework on it. It has way more calories, sodium, and saturated fat and less protein than the same amount of beef.  It's a very processed product.

It also contains wheat, which means I am not able to try it. There are no advantages to eating this unless you choose not to eat meat.

Esteemed Contributor

Had one of these burgers at a hotel restaurant a few weeks ago. It was amazing. I didn’t believe it wasn’t meat, I asked the waiter to be sure and he got the chef to come out and assure me. Boy it’s amazing! Hope you enjoy it. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

I haven't seen it yet, but did my homework on it. It has way more calories, sodium, and saturated fat and less protein than the same amount of beef.  It's a very processed product.

It also contains wheat, which means I am not able to try it. There are no advantages to eating this unless you choose not to eat meat.

Yup, @Carmie, I read about this.  Hugely processed product AND is soy-based—because they've now taken out the wheat evidently—so those of us who are sensitive to or must avoid soy couldn't eat it anyway.  Further, the articles I've read note what you did ...it has FIVE times as much sodium as a regular burger. Yow. No thanks for all the reasons stated above. I haven't eat meat in over 30 years and never missed it when I stopped so processed soy burgers have zero interest to me and my gut anyway. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have mixed feelings over the popularity of alternative meat products flooding the marketplace.

Good for so many things but healthy? Nope.

I’ve always said going Plant Based has 5 areas of benefit:

1. Health (comfort/appearance)

2. Wellness

3. Ethical

4. Environmental

5. Financial

The Impossible Burger & other alternative meat products are definitely positive in the Ethical, Environmental & Financial arena. Taking an animal from birth to market is so incredibly expensive & hard on the environment, any PB product will shine heads & shoulders above the rest.

But is it healthy & good for your general wellness?

That’s where the difference between Vegetarian/Vegan separate themselves from Plant Based. AltMeats will still cause/contribute to all sorts of modern day illnesses like heart disease, T2D, obesity, etc.

But part of me think if one is going to Burger King or other popular places which feature AltMeats, there’s a greater than zero chance health/wellness is not high on their list of life priorities. But at best case, they’re unknowlingly helping the environment & reducing the animal death...so that’s good, on some level.

Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Yup, @Carmie, I read about this.  Hugely processed product AND is soy-based—because they've now taken out the wheat evidently—so those of us who are sensitive to or must avoid soy couldn't eat it anyway.  Further, the articles I've read note what you did ...it has FIVE times as much sodium as a regular burger. Yow. No thanks for all the reasons stated above. I haven't eat meat in over 30 years and never missed it when I stopped so processed soy burgers have zero interest to me and my gut anyway. 

@AspenGrove 

Highly processed...yes.

But being ‘soy’ by itself is still a wonderful food product,

like tofu, tempeh or whole form soybean/edamame.

It’s when it’s an ISOLATE, like many of those whey isolates/soy isolates in those processed protein drinks & bars...that’s when it’s not healthy. Anything isolate isn’t good. 

Valued Contributor

@AspenGrove 

Highly processed...yes.

But being ‘soy’ by itself is still a wonderful food product,

like tofu, tempeh or whole form soybean/edamame.

It’s when it’s an ISOLATE, like many of those whey isolates/soy isolates in those processed protein drinks & bars...that’s when it’s not healthy. Anything isolate isn’t good. 

@sidsmom  Agreed, but many people, myself included, can't eat any "whole" soy, like tofu/soybeans, because of gut or other issues.   Unfortunate, but such is life! 

Respected Contributor

I would like to try it, just out of curiosity. I used to eat a lot of veggie burgers back in the day and I always liked Boca burgers because they did have a meat like flavor and they cooked up nicely in the microwave.  I am not a vegetarian but a vegetarian got me into trying meat substitues a long time ago.  Otherwise I'd likely never have tried it at all.  

Honored Contributor

I googled the ingredients and there won't be any Impossible burgers in my future. Just more junk food marketed to people who won't/can't eat meat.