Honored Contributor

The High Rate of Missed Esophageal Cancer in the U.S.

Trusted Contributor

Re: The High Rate of Missed Esophageal Cancer in the U.S.

Hi, @lolakimono!  Thanks for posting this!  Definitely something I’ll talk to my doctor about.  I have Barrett’s esophagus and routinely got endoscopic every couple of years until I moved.  Sounds like time for another with a lot more questions from me!  

Honored Contributor

@MJDinVegas

I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus many years ago. Had an Endo every 3 months for 2 years/every 6 months for 3 years, and have been on an annual schedule since. Every 2 years?

How did/are your Gastro Doctors treating your Barrett's, and is a biopsy done after each scope?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Hi, @hckynut!  The docs have biopsies twice but many years apart., which may be why I’ve been on a more extended schedule (no much change endoscopy to endoscopy).  I also have GERD (probably contributing to the Barrett’s in my opinion) and take Nexium daily and Tums occasionally if I overdo the spicy food).  

Honored Contributor

Hi to you @MJDinVegas

I had my very first Endoscopy primarily because my late brother-in-law had Esophageal Cancer. I had zero symptoms there might be something going on, Asymptomatic!

Results shocked me and I thought sure they got something mixed up. My diagnosis as follows:

1) GERD

2) Hiatal Hernia

3) Inflammed Esophagus

4) Barrett's Esophagus

Thus the start of my many Endoscopies. I started taking Nexium twice a day(40mg each) shortly after. So far it has been keeping Barrett's under control, but my Gastro Doctors still want me to have an Endo every year.

Food has never been my issue, as I have been very particular to what I consume since the mid 1970's, so never needed any antacids. Never was a fan of spicy foods even though mexican food was high on my list, my choices stayed on the mildest types.

Thank you for your reply, and I hope all continues to go well for you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Has anyone had experience with the in office (non-sedated) endoscopy? Entry is through nose and takes less than 10 minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono - Thank  you for posting this. As I mentioned in some of your older threads, a dear friend of ours was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer. 

UPDATE: Unfortunately, he passed away in July, exactly 5 years to the day he was diagnosed. 

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: text

Esteemed Contributor

I have been taking pills everyday for the last25 years. Something to talk about to my doctor. Scary!