Valued Contributor

Re: The Feeding Tube Diet To lose weight fast

I would really, really caution people against using something like that -especially if they are like me and believe in DNR's & Living Wills to guard against feeding tubes, which oftentimes prolong suffering.  Once they are in, it takes an awful lot of red tape @ the court house to get it out, and if you are unable to speak for yourself after some other health issue happened, you or your loved ones would  be unlikely to reverse it easily.  Yikes.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Valued Contributor

@violann, I have to agree with you, from what I've seen.  I have a relative that lost 100# over 4 years' time, the slow 'right' way via low calories & lots of exercise.  She got ill (non-related to her diet), unable to keep up with the strenuous exercise routine that got more & more in-depth in order to get past plateaus, and she unfortunately regained the weight since she couldn't keep exercising, & the doctors said she must stop.  She was absolutely devastated.  She fought hard over years to re-lose, and it didn't matter if she lost it slow or quickly--it came back on just as quickly each time.  The fat cells are supposed to have a memory that just won't quit, and are too efficient at weight regain, if I understand it correctly.  

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Respected Contributor

the feeding tube is not surgically connected.  it's just a very thin length of tubing that is snaked through one nostril down the esphagus into the stomach.

the patient mixes a protien and nutrient powder with water in an IV bag and attaches it to the free end of the tube.

it does look odd if you go out in public and have that tube attached.   the two women on the talk show used it to kick-start diets . it is so discouraging to go on a diet and see no significant results. this helps give momentum?

Honored Contributor

Smiley Surprised is all I got

Honored Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

the feeding tube is not surgically connected.  it's just a very thin length of tubing that is snaked through one nostril down the esphagus into the stomach.

the patient mixes a protien and nutrient powder with water in an IV bag and attaches it to the free end of the tube.

it does look odd if you go out in public and have that tube attached.   the two women on the talk show used it to kick-start diets . it is so discouraging to go on a diet and see no significant results. this helps give momentum?

Why not just fast for a few days? Why the need for a feeding tube?

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

Losing weight fast often results in the weight not staying off.

Your statement is not upheld by current research, although it was long believed to be true.

I lost my weight very quickly and have kept it off for two years, and I'm old and hypothyroid.

Congratulations! Just goes to prove if you want something bad enough it can be done!!! And certainly without the need for a feeding tube. SMH on the feeding tube.

Esteemed Contributor

Isn't it amazing what people will do to avoid learning to eat properly?

Trusted Contributor

Why in heavens name just have nothing but juice for 10 days? ( a la Joe Cross of Fat,Sick, & Nearly Dead.....but he did a couple of months of juice only I believe) Why would a feeding tube be needed?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@italia8140 wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

CORRECT!!!

Not according to current bariatric research, but whatever........

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

CORRECT!!!

Not according to current bariatric research, but whatever........

You're right, violann. I have read some new studies that siad there is no difference in whether someone loses it slowly or quickly. Sometimes, losing it quickly gives a person the perserverence to continue. Anecdotally speaking, I lost weight quickly and never deviate within 5 pounds.