Esteemed Contributor

The Dreaded Dentist Appointment

I've got to start getting ready for the dreaded dentist appointment I've been waiting on for four months!  This oral surgeon is sure tough to get in to see.

I'm going to be evaluated for and discuss the option of getting some implants.  I know the cost is going to be outrageous, so I'm already apprehensive.

I hope the visit goes okay.  I'll probably not be back to the forum until later on this evening.  Boy, am I nervous.😬 

Respected Contributor

Re: The Dreaded Dentist Appointment

@cheriere  You can do it, Cheriere Smiley Very Happy! You're in good hands and the dentist is going to work on that beautiful smile of yours Smiley Very Happy.  I think that everything will be ok and you'll get some good news today about the game plan for implants.  Plenty of people get dental implants, so its totally normal Smiley Happy.  I'm rooting for you! 

Honored Contributor

About 10 years ago I had total mouth reconstruction. I have a fixed bridge on top held in place with 4 implants and a removable bridge on the bottom. I am very lucky that my dentist works at a local hospital and I was able to get their pricing, It still cost a fortune but now I have a beautiful set of teeth

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@cheriere It is SUPER expensive so you are prepared for that.

It takes months because you need time to heal.

The actual work that was done was no big deal.

I had no pain. No swelling. 

Check in & let us know how it goes. 

You will be fine!

Respected Contributor

I had some implants done 3 or 4 years ago. I think the cost was around $12,000. The whole process took about 6 months so  everything could heal. Not the same as one's own teeth, but it needed to be done.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can do this, I did !! As you said be prepared for the cost, it is thousands!!  cost me 8500 for one tooth, but my insurance paid 1500 of it.  My DH is in the process of getting 2 now.  My entire process took little over 4 mos.  I went to a periodentist instead of oral surgeon, may charge a bit more but he was amazing, made me a temporary plastic tooth so no flipper.  No pain whatsoever before, during or after. 

Respected Contributor

@cheriere Good luck and don't worry. Let us know how you made out Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@cheriere I understand trying to get an appointment with an oral surgeon, but I am glad you got in with him. Their skill set and extra training makes them well worth the wait. I am wishing you all the best for your exam. Remember, decisions do not have to be made on the spot. You can go home to ponder your choices, then call to schedule your work.

By the way, were you able to get an appointment with the ENT for your voice? I have been thinking of you.

Honored Contributor

I'm at the tail end of an implant procedure.  Had a tooth extracted in August because of an infection.  Have my next and hopefully last appointment with the oral surgeon next month and then to my regular dentist.  

So far it has cost about $4,000, none of it covered by insurance.  Oh well!

The extraction was the most painful. 

Respected Contributor

@cheriere 

@kaydee50 wrote:

I'm at the tail end of an implant procedure.  Had a tooth extracted in August because of an infection.  Have my next and hopefully last appointment with the oral surgeon next month and then to my regular dentist.  

So far it has cost about $4,000, none of it covered by insurance.  Oh well!

The extraction was the most painful. 

I hope your implant is functional, beautiful and lasts a lifetime.  Good dental hygiene and work is very important to our overall health.  Best of luck with the last step of this particular tooth.