Honored Contributor

Re: ”The American Diabetes Association Applauds Insulin Reduction Act” Introduced in Congress Oct. 2

This sounds like a good thing.  But does the Act have any teeth if it only "encourages" manufacturers to roll-back the price?

Honored Contributor

Re: ”The American Diabetes Association Applauds Insulin Reduction Act” Introduced in Congress Oct. 2

@Mindy D wrote:

There is evidence that insulin resistance is affected by diet, weight and lifestyle. I’m not discounting the possibility that some of these changes might be beneficial. This post is about a bill that would help insulin dependent persons afford insulin. 

@Mindy D 

I read through the proposed/passed Act & insulin is defined as:

''any insulin product by the FDA to improve glycemic control in patients

with diabetes millitus"

....not specifically a Type 1 Diabetes.  T2Diabetics, who currently

take insulin, can greatly decrease their amount..if not complete eliminate 

the need for insulin....via lifestyle & nutritional means. 

9EECA71D-F225-4AB9-ACB1-5A4D5A92CB08.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

There is evidence that insulin resistance is affected by diet, weight and lifestyle. I’m not discounting the possibility that some of these changes might be beneficial. This post is about a bill that would help insulin dependent persons afford insulin. 

@Mindy D 

with diabetes millitus"

It is true that some type 2 diabetics eventually need to take insulin. It is also true that some of them are able to decrease or get off insulin through life style changes including weight loss. The bill is designed to make insulin affordable for patients. 

I think you might enjoy this paper. It’s entitled “Vegetarian Diets and the Risk of Diabetes.”  To make it easier to read, press Classic View or PDF. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6153574/

Honored Contributor

Well, type 2s have had remarkable success with low carb/high fat meal plans, that’s for sure.  I can personally attest to that.

The pharm companies just thought they’d make a killing on insulin:/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

This sounds like a good thing.  But does the Act have any teeth if it only "encourages" manufacturers to roll-back the price?

The bill was just introduced in The House. Then there’s The Senate version. The bill will make the rounds until it eventually is finalized for voting and then The President would have to sign it. To see the proposed bills, just Google to get to the Senate and a House pages to view the prosed bills. Let’s hope the bill has some teeth. As far as I’m concerned, greed should not be allowed to control the lives and deaths of my countrymen. Whether big pharma lends a hand with the price or I have to pay more myself, I want to help the diabetics live.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mindy D 

with diabetes millitus"

It is true that some type 2 diabetics eventually need to take insulin. It is also true that some of them are able to decrease or get off insulin through life style changes including weight loss. The bill is designed to make insulin affordable for patients. 

I think you might enjoy this paper. It’s entitled “Vegetarian Diets and the Risk of Diabetes.”  To make it easier to read, press Classic View or PDF. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6153574/

@Mindy D 

Thanks...like the conclusion.  I would add the conclusion of the

vegetarian diet calls for nuts & unsaturated fat. Yes, those are good

for those without illness, but if one needs to lose weight or 

become more insulin sensitive, that dietary fat in nuts/oils

would thwart any well-meaning efforts. Or in this case,
the amount of insulin wouldn't change as quickly if one was

eating a vegan diet with 10-15% of dietary fat w/out oils/nuts.

No matter the type of vegetarian diet, there are

therapeutic effects. However, there is evidence that a vegan diet

has the most benefits for reducing the fasting plasma glucose

levels of persons with diabetes and other complications,

such as CVD risk.

Honored Contributor

Did I miss something?  They aren't going to mandate a price reduction, they are going to "encourage" it.  No definition as to what "encourage" means.   I don't see any good news here.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Did I miss something?  They aren't going to mandate a price reduction, they are going to "encourage" it.  No definition as to what "encourage" means.   I don't see any good news here.

@chrystaltree Well, at least it is a start. For those of us who take 2 types of insulin a day, anything that positive about even a possible price reduction is GOOD NEWS.