Respected Contributor

I had a tetanus shot in 2009...got bitten by a feral cat.  

Esteemed Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

You have to be 60 or older for the shingles vaccine.  A close friend of mine recently had a mild case and she told me "get this one done" so I am.  I'm also not sure if it's a one time only or not.

@PINKdogWOOD

The recommendation is now 50.  It changed in 2013.

Zostavax is an FDA licensed vaccine that helps to reduce the risk of getting herpes zoster (shingles) in individuals 50 years of age and older. Zostavax is the only US licensed vaccine that reduces the risk of reactivation of the varicella zoster virus, the same one that causes chicken pox, and remains dormant in the body after recovering from chicken pox.

From FDA:

How is Zostavax given?

Zostavax is given as a single dose by an injection under the skin, preferably in the upper arm.

How well does Zostavax work to prevent herpes zoster (shingles)?

For people 60 years of age and older, the studies for Zostavax enrolled approximately 38,000 people throughout the United States; approximately half received Zostavax and half received placebo. Study participants were followed on average for about three years to see if they developed shingles and if they did, how long the pain lasted.

At the conclusion of the studies, researchers found that overall (in persons age 60 years and older) the vaccine reduced the occurrence of herpes zoster (shingles) by about 50%. The vaccine effect was highest at 64% in people between the ages 60-69, but its effectiveness declined with increasing age; to 41% for the 70-79 age group, and 18% for those 80 years of age and older.

In those who were vaccinated with Zostavax, but still developed shingles, the duration of pain was a bit shorter for them versus those who received a placebo. Specifically, the pain of those in the Zostavax group lasted on average for 20 days and for those who received placebo, it lasted for about 22 days. The severity of the pain did not appear to differ among the two groups.

For people 50-59 years of age, approximately 22,000 people were studied; half received Zostavax and half received a placebo. Study participants were then monitored for at least one year to see if they developed shingles. Compared with placebo, Zostavax reduced the risk of developing shingles by approximately 70 percent.

Link to FDA FAQ

@VaBelle35 thank you so much for this update. I had been hounding my mother for months to make sure that she had had the pneumonia shot and the shingles shot. SO, a few years back, when she had her annual physical I called in and spoke to her GP while she was having her appointment (the GP and my mom both knew I was going to do this). After sorting through a bunch of paperwork, he confirmed that both of my parents had had both shots in the past few year. 

He also confirmed that the shingles vaccine should be administered somewhere between age 60-65. So I logged the info away and haven't thought about it again. 

When I read your info from the FDA I was concerned that I had heard him wrong, but then I realized that the guidelines were probably changed shortly after I spoke with him. 

I'm in my late 50s so I will be having the shingles conversation with my GP at my next exam. 

One of the reasons I had been so insistent with my mom was that she had gotten a horrible case of shingles in her late 40s or early 50s (she's in her late 80s now). It took her about 6 month to get over it. She was really fortunate not to have any post neuropathic pain which not much can be done about. -- I realized that any immunity she might have had would have worn off 35 years later. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

The shingles vaccine was approved by the FDA for ages 50-59 but most doctors will still recommend it over 60 because they don't keep abreast of guidelines or some feel if given too early, immunity will wear off and a booster must be given later.  But, you can request it at 50-59 and it should be given. 

Honored Contributor

I have not had one since the 60's. I hate needles so no thanks. Last time I had a sinus infection they told me they could give me a shot to help get rid of it faster or I could take pills. I said I will take the pills & suffer a little longer.  I have to have a blood test once per year in order to get my thyroid medications & I dread it every year.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  The doctor never lets me get out of there without checking my records for "it's time for a tetanus shot!"

Once I used a cheapie razor (the throw-away type) and realized that it looked a bit rusted.  The MD's nurse said I must come in for a tetanus shot if it was rusted... so I did.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

The love of foriegn travel +  passion for animal work keeps me up to date on vaccines!

bebe777 - Don't wait.  Shingles is nothing to mess with.  I had it much younger than 'usual' because I'm immunosuppressed.  Like so many it hit my eye.  Didn't even think of it being shingles, waited too long & spent 5 days in the hospital in PAIN!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

No.  I cannot even remember the last time I got a tetanus shot.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

The love of foriegn travel +  passion for animal work keeps me up to date on vaccines!

bebe777 - Don't wait.  Shingles is nothing to mess with.  I had it much younger than 'usual' because I'm immunosuppressed.  Like so many it hit my eye.  Didn't even think of it being shingles, waited too long & spent 5 days in the hospital in PAIN!

Drythe, thanks for caring. Smiley Happy You've convinced me. I'll set up an appointment with my doctor. Thanks again!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

for previously vaccinated adults, a tetanus booster should be given every ten years. Puncture wounds, wounds in contact with soil are more likely to become contaminated. 

Honored Contributor

As I've been googling information about eye infections, one thing that keeps coming up when I read is that if you scratch your eye you also need to get a tetanus shot.

It's not just for skin punctures.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I don't even know how long it's been, but I know I've had one ... once.

I just went on a biologic for RA, and got a pneumonia and shingles shot beforehand, so I think I'm not getting one unless there's a really good reason to do so.

And it would be in the butt,  NOT  my arm .... for some reason shots in my arm always get inflamed and swollen.   No idea why.