Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree   I believe Jenny McCarthy, the actress, was big in promoting the anti-vaxx issue. He son was diagnosed at 2 with autisum.  I read when someone asked about proof, she said her"mommy instinct".  She claims her son was cured with chelation therapy. Why parents would take medical advice from a former Playboy Playmate over doctors is beyond me. And yes I know doctors can be wrong, but I still would trust my pediatrician over a B-list actress.

Respected Contributor

I get one every ten years from my PCP.      

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I had one about 8 years ago

Super Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@GraceLady wrote:

Unvaccinated Boy Almost Dies From First Case of Tetanus in Oregon in Over 30 Years

The details are in the article, but the most shocking thing is that after watching their little boy suffer so much and nearly die, they still refuse to vaccinate him.  Now they have started a Go-Fund-Me to help pay over $800,000 in medical bills.  SMH.

@GraceLady- Oh, yeah - I'll get right on that and make my donation.  NOT.

You just know they're going to stiff the hospital and doctors for that bill.  That poor boy.  Perhaps when he's of age, he'll take matters into his own hands, like other teens are doing now.

@Venezia Unfortunately, the little guy is only six.  He is stuck with those idiots for parents for another 12 years.  

My wish is that is that they have to sell their farm, assuming they own it, to pay those bills.  They have made a choice to gamble with their child's life by not vaccinating him.  They lost that gamble.  They should consider themselves lucky that that their son lived, but they still have to pay that debt.  They have some nerve asking strangers to pay for their stupidity.

Honored Contributor

My tetanus is always up to date; all staff had to have T-dap shots at the hospital where I worked, and I have had another shot since I retired.   

The VA keeps my husband up to date with his vaccines.   Teacher daughter must stay up to date with hers as part of her job requirements.   Trucker daughter keeps hers up to date due to her extensive travels across the US.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Tetanus shot?

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Of course, I get tetanus shots.  Every 10 years is still the recommendation, I believe.  I don't know where this anti vaccine movement started, I suppose like most things now "the internet" but if states don't move in and mandate vaccinations, we are going to see more tragic situations like that.  I think "the internet" which is full of garbage talk is partly to blame but also there are a couple of generations now who had the advantage of vaccinations so they have no experiences with the hazzards of measles, mumps, rheubella, chicken pox, small pox, polio etc etc etc.  Also, people are dumber today, they don't can't do math, so they don't really understand statistics.  When they read that there is a 1 in 300,000 risk of something happening; they don't understand what that really means.  Combine all that and you get this awful anti vaccine movement that is so very dangerous for children.  It's ironic too because the parents who are putting their kids at risk...had all their innoculations.  

@chrystaltree   Are you saying that all vaccines are 100% safe?  I see a lot of warnings on the medications we see advertised on TV all the time.  Or are vaccines somehow different?

Maybe the anti vac movement started when people saw all of the warnings on most medications which can be scary.

Regular Contributor

I get one every 10 years ending in 6.  By the way, your gynecologist can do it, also.  Mine offered, saving me a trip to my PCP.

Seannie

Honored Contributor

My last one was in 2011. For some reason, I didn’t feel well for about three months after the shot. 

I’m good for a few more years. 

My husband had one in November. His first in who knows how long. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I got my Tdap today 🙂

Trusted Contributor

Yes, have 1 every ten years.  Had my last one last year.  My arm was so sore for many months afterwards.  I then started doing some execises and it got better soon afterwards.