Honored Contributor

Re: Tempur-Pedic follow up - now we need to return the mattress too!

I have slept on Tempur-Pedicure mattresss in hotels.  They have a card in the rooms telling their patrons all about this "wonderful mattress". Both my DH and I hated it.

i suggest you go into a mattress store and give them a test ride..both you and your partner to find one you really like.  Everyone has different needs and tastes.  mattresses are a personal item.  There is no one size fits all.

Honored Contributor

I just flipped my "relatively" new mattress over yesterday. It's one that has a foam top and coils underneath.

It's not meant to be flipped but just turning it periodically while leaving the same side up only gives you two spots to lie in, not four.  I hope you know what I mean. (It's just one person - and my small dog - on a queen size.  And I have RA, so joint damage and soreness is a factor.  In fact, I was proud of myself that I actually flipped it all by myself.)

In any event, last night I slept on the coil side and had anticipated it would not be as comfortable (and because of that already ordered amazon's top-rated 2-inch foam topper to compensate), but interestingly, I slept all night with just the mattress protector that has very minimal padding between me and the coils. 

I'll be checking its warranty, etc. and/or looking for a new one but in the meantime, the flipping seemed to have worked.

Mattresses are so tricky. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

My b-i-l & s-i-l have one of the foam mattresses, I don't know which brand it is but she hates it.  She told me she can't get too close to the edge or she will fall out onto the floor.

We are in need of a new mattress and I want an old fasioned coil that can be flipped over, not just side to side because there's a pillow top on it.  I don't even know if such a thing exists anymore.

I never fell for the hype of the Tempur-Pedic types because I was always afraid they would be too hot and it's too much $ to be stuck with it for such a long time.

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach  Turning my queen mattress is an undertaking. Usually, my son will do it for me. KUDOS for flipping a queen mattress on your own! Enjoyed your post. Have wondered what it would feel like to flip the mattress and sleep on the "wrong" side, but never actually considered doing so.

Lucked out last week when new bedroom furniture was delivered. The delivery men turned my mattress AND box springs before bringing in the new furniture. Our old cherrywood furniture, which we purchased in March 1969, was placed in the garage and will be picked up by Habitat for Humanity on Wednesday. Feeling very happy with an unexpected change in my life. Apparently it was time!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover---bummer !!! I bought a bed in a box 3 years ago now-----was heaven from the very first night. But my DD bought one and she could not sleep on it either. She did send it back, which took a few weeks but she got her $$ back and with no cost to get rid of it; also found a fabulous mattress pad for her bed. Mine is from Helix in NY City

Valued Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I  We get the Consumer Digest magazine and they rated Casper the best mattress.  Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number were rated last.  

@luvmybeetle, Consumer Reports published a very thorough review of the best adjustable air, innerspring, and foam mattresses in Feb., 2019. Sleep Number's new beds won top ratings in the adjustable air category, Casper highest rating for foam, and Avocado Green for best innerspring.  

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover ,

I am sorry you are having these pillow/mattress problems, but I think millions have these same issues, to some degree. Anyone that has decades of living has probably had some type of back issue, some maybe even because of their choice of what they have chosen to rest their bodies and brains, called sleep.

I could list more than this, but I have tried: air mattress/ memory foam, and a hospital grade adjustable bed. In the end, maybe because of my back surgery(L-5/ S-1 removed), none of them solved this problem. Throw in the 3 crushed vertebrae in my neck?

My answer, close to 30 years ago(and an added L-3 surgery) has been my reclining lounge chairs. I discovered it by, you guessed it, falling asleep in 1 of them, all night. What I noticed was my back was not stiff or sore. Hmmm! 

That is when I  decided,  maybe, just maybe I found my solution. So, night after night, sleeping in my recliner answered my suspicion, it was/is the chair. Been sleeping in 1 ever since, many different ones over the years. My present being an electrically controlled foot rest and a recline and lumbar control, set to my preference.

That's  my story and will remain so in the present and future. Another note: with my weeks and weeks hospital stays, over 14 years, the only time I spent in a bed was the many days I spent in ICU. The rest of my hospital time was spent sleeping in a recliner, my bed I used for my desk.

Hope you find your solution, I  finally did.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We purchased a Saatva mattress based on a "review" right here on the boards.  The mattresses come in 11-1/2" and 14-1/2" thickness.  It has a pillow-top sleeping surface.  It is non-flip and non-rotate.  We bought the 14-1/2" mattress.

We have it for almost a month and my husband and I both agree it is the most comfortable mattress we have ever slept on.  The mattresses are not made until you order them.  They have a 120 day trial period and come in three comfort levels - "plush soft, luxury firm and firm".  Luxury Firm is their most popular mattress, which is the one we chose.

We had a Beautyrest that set us back almost $3,000.  The Saatva cost $1,099, with free shipping and is a far superior mattress than the beautyrest.

The Saatva has four distinct layers - the base being steel coils and the second level being pocketed coils, topped by a foam layer and finally the European pillowtop.  The combination has given us the best sleep we have had in forever.

The entire mattress is covered in combed cotton.    The sides of the mattress are constructed of heavy duty foam which prevents it from collapsing.

There is a non-prorated warranty of 15 years.   It is delivered, set-up and they take away your old mattress; what they call their "white glove service"....

It is the highest rated mattress 4.7 out of 5....

Hope this helps.

BTW - you can also look it up at "saatvamattress (you know the rest)..

I don't understand how anyone can go to a mattress store, try it out for maybe 5 minutes and decide "this is the one" - only to find out that particular mattress is NOT the one that is going to be delivered to you.   YOu don't know how many people have tried it out, how many kids have jumped up and down, etc.... It's a toss-up.  I think I'd much rather buy one online, try it out, return it or not.  There is nothing to lose.

Oh, maybe you can sleep on a recliner and tell your husband to either buy a matching one, or just sleep by himself.  I don't know anyone who doesn't have problems with their back - I don't know anyone who chooses to sleep in a recliner.  I think there is a mattress for everyone.  JMO

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Serta pillowtop and we added a two inch memory foam topper (one side is blue and cooler).  This is an extremely comfortable mattress ( we've been using it ten years so far).

Esteemed Contributor

Sleep number, I have had mine 12 years and love it. I wanted a mattress that I didn’t have to turn and it’s great. If my back hurts I pump it up a bit.

I would like an adjustable one that I could raise the head up due to sinus problems but I have a poster bed that can’t hold their base. It’s now on my old mattress base so I saved money.