Respected Contributor

Re: Tempur-Pedic follow up - now we need to return the mattress too!

I just replaced my 15 year old mattress & box springs with a Serta iComfort Blue Touch 500 Plush mattress & have slept like a log every night since.  I love it.

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

"I don't know anyone who chooses to sleep in a recliner".

@sophiamarie 

Maybe not personally, but unless you skipped reading my post, you know one now, cyberley(?) speaking of course. I "choose" to do so.  

There may be "a right mattress for everyone", but I don't have enough years left in my life, or $$$, to try all of them.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Thank you everyone! So much to choose from out there.  I remember when the choices were medium, firm and extra firm. Doh!

@hckynut  I don't think it's weird at all that you sleep in a recliner. I know a lady who had shoulder surgery and the other shoulder is severely impinged. She bought a top of the line recliner with heat and massage, and sleeps comfortably in it. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@sophiamarie wrote:

"I don't know anyone who chooses to sleep in a recliner".

@sophiamarie 

Maybe not personally, but unless you skipped reading my post, you know one now, cyberley(?) speaking of course. I "choose" to do so.  

There may be "a right mattress for everyone", but I don't have enough years left in my life, or $$$, to try all of them.

hckynut

I'm close to 2 people who choose to sleep in recliners because that's what works for them, that's what allows them to get a healthy night's sleep.  My sister who has some physical challenges sleeps better in  a recliner and also it's easier for her to get to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night when she's in a recliner.  My dear friend suffers from severe GERD and sleeping in her recliner, she can get it at the right tilt to prevent acid back up.  I have no doubt that many people choose to sleep in recliners for a variety of reasons.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

We purchased a Saatva mattress based on a "review" right here on the boards.  The mattresses come in 11-1/2" and 14-1/2" thickness.  It has a pillow-top sleeping surface.  It is non-flip and non-rotate.  We bought the 14-1/2" mattress.

We have it for almost a month and my husband and I both agree it is the most comfortable mattress we have ever slept on.  The mattresses are not made until you order them.  They have a 120 day trial period and come in three comfort levels - "plush soft, luxury firm and firm".  Luxury Firm is their most popular mattress, which is the one we chose.

We had a Beautyrest that set us back almost $3,000.  The Saatva cost $1,099, with free shipping and is a far superior mattress than the beautyrest.

The Saatva has four distinct layers - the base being steel coils and the second level being pocketed coils, topped by a foam layer and finally the European pillowtop.  The combination has given us the best sleep we have had in forever.

The entire mattress is covered in combed cotton.    The sides of the mattress are constructed of heavy duty foam which prevents it from collapsing.

There is a non-prorated warranty of 15 years.   It is delivered, set-up and they take away your old mattress; what they call their "white glove service"....

It is the highest rated mattress 4.7 out of 5....

Hope this helps.

@PilatesLover   Sorry - I was just trying to answer your question and you come back with "remembering when mattresses only came in three comfort levels, doh"..... Is that all you got out of my post?  IMO, the more comfort levels, the more confusing it can be.  But again, that's JMO......  Hopefully, you'll get better info from someone who is more informed.....

P.S.  The last two paragraphs were really not meant for you.  I wrote them after I went back and read the entire thread.  Sorry about that.

Honored Contributor

Try the Saatva mattress.  It’s a combination of coil and foam, and is reasonably priced with great service.  I bought one last year just before I broke my hip and arm.  It has been perfect for me.  Good luck!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

John, my beloved sister slept in a recliner for decades.  She was very slender with long legs.  She said she could never get comfortable in a bed.  When she spent her last months in a hospice, the only thing she said she missed was her recliner.

~ Your friend, Ford

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

@sophiamarie  - I'm confused - I didn't direct my statement at you. I appreciate everyone's input including yours.

Esteemed Contributor

We ended up getting one at the Denver Mattress Company. It wasn't cheap, but we both can sleep on the thing.

I have been where you are. Buying a mattress, hating it. We ended up giving it to my folks after a few months. Then got another one we ended up hating even worse, we were able to return it, and got our money back. For us the third time was a charm, boo hoo. So much work and time.

Good luck, its such a pain.

Trusted Contributor

@Foxxee...Where did you purchase your latex mattress from? Next mattress for me, I really want to try latex. I have a latex topper only now on a regular hybrid mattress and I love the topper. Would like to go full latex next time. Thanks!