Respected Contributor

Re: Tell me all you know about Calcium supplements.

Oh, good grief. It certainly is NOT true that ALL doctors recommend Tums. That's just silly. Actually Tums are very, very poor calcium substitute. I doubt that any doctor recommends Tums for the long term for anyone who is calcium deficient. OP, if you can use this board, you can do a Google search and find all the information you need about calcium supplements. If you suspect that you might be calcium deficient, you should have your doctor check. But, most docs recommend calcium supplements for the middle aged women patients. If you need assistance choosing a brand, your pharmacist is the one to ask. My endocrinologist recommended Citrical.

Honored Contributor

People (women) are sooo concerned about putting calcium IN, but there's a 99% chance they are solely responsible for allowing those precious minerals to be leeched OUT. Stop it from leaving, you won't have to worry about supplementing. Again, it's so simple.

Honored Contributor

I'm 60 and have tried a number of brands. I find that Andrew Lessman's (HSN) are the easiest on my stomach. I only take 1 per day (not the 2-3 recommended) because Vitamin D upsets my regularity but I also take a Magnesium supplement for that. Andrew's pills are not humongous...they are smaller than most. I have had bone scans twice in the last 6 years with outstanding results.

Honored Contributor

On 12/29/2014 Chrystaltree said:

Oh, good grief. It certainly is NOT true that ALL doctors recommend Tums. That's just silly. Actually Tums are very, very poor calcium substitute. I doubt that any doctor recommends Tums for the long term for anyone who is calcium deficient. OP, if you can use this board, you can do a Google search and find all the information you need about calcium supplements. If you suspect that you might be calcium deficient, you should have your doctor check. But, most docs recommend calcium supplements for the middle aged women patients. If you need assistance choosing a brand, your pharmacist is the one to ask. My endocrinologist recommended Citrical.

My regular dr and my gyno both said to avoid Tums as a calcium supplement. Absorption is questionable too. There are also side effects of Tums to consider that you don't get in other supplements.

Honored Contributor

On 12/29/2014 Chrystaltree said:

Tums has no vitamin D. Tums is not a "good" form of calcium.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/24/2014 sidsmom said:

SEASWIRL: Is there a reason why you ask? Have you gotten tests indicating calcium is low?

Supplements are not needed. Diet, alone, is all you need.

In regards to diet, stay away from milk & dairy products, carbonated drinks, coffee & other acidic foods like animal products.

Eating anything acidic, your body will have to work overtime to neutralize...leeching minerals from your bones (osteoporosis).

Stick with leafy greens, like collard greens, spinach, kale, chard, broccoli & other plant based whole foods to meet your calcium needs.

There is nothing more acidic in the human body than hydrochloric acid (HCL) in the stomach. If what you said were actually true, then all of our bones would be mush from all the HCL used to break down protein in the stomach.

(HCL can burn a hole through almost anything organic.)

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/29/2014 sidsmom said:

People (women) are sooo concerned about putting calcium IN, but there's a 99% chance they are solely responsible for allowing those precious minerals to be leeched OUT. Stop it from leaving, you won't have to worry about supplementing. Again, it's so simple.

I just had a bone scan today and you know what I had to do that? Osteoporosis runs rampant on my Dad's side of the family. Sooooo, I intake high quality bone complex each day along with 2,000IUs of D each day. My calcium and D are within normal limits at time of blood tests and they must remain there.

I refuse to be su-cked into whatever this leeching business is.

Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2014 sfnative said:
On 12/29/2014 sidsmom said:

I just had a bone scan today and you know what I had to do that? Osteoporosis runs rampant on my Dad's side of the family. Sooooo, I intake high quality bone complex each day along with 2,000IUs of D each day. My calcium and D are within normal limits at time of blood tests and they must remain there.

I refuse to be su-cked into whatever this leeching business is.

Coffee, carbonated beverages, milk/dairy, animal products, processed foods...anything that is acidic, your body needs to neutralize. That's Human Body 101. The bones are the first line-of-defense to neutralize these acids, thus a high risk of osteoporosis (ie. Leeching minerals from the bones). Remove the acids & there's no reason to supplement. But most Americans prefer to pop pills.

Super Contributor

My bone density and blood work are all within normal limits - I don't take any supplements.

Super Contributor

On 12/24/2014 DARING GREATLY said:

I had to take calcium supplements after my broken foot. It did aid the healing process. I eat a lot of veggies and spinach and I lift free weights 3x a week for an hour. I also walk an hour a day which aids in bone maintenance. I'm 53.

Glad your foot is better.