Honored Contributor

Re: Tell me all you know about Calcium supplements.

~H~
Honored Contributor

On 9/28/2012 catprincess said:

They{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} all give me a stomach ache, so now I chew up 2 TUMS every day!

Tums doesn't absorb into the system ..... not useful as a calcium source.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/26/2014 winamac1 said:
On 9/28/2012 catprincess said:

They all give me a stomach ache, so now I chew up 2 TUMS every day!

Tums are not that effective. There is no vitamin d or magnesium in tums. You should add vitamin d if you only chew tums

Good to know, I also take 5000 units of Vitamin D3 daily! Mag too!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor

I had to take calcium supplements after my broken foot. It did aid the healing process. I eat a lot of veggies and spinach and I lift free weights 3x a week for an hour. I also walk an hour a day which aids in bone maintenance. I'm 53.

Honored Contributor

Two weeks ago I had my thyroid removed. You can't live without your thyroid. I will have to take medicine to substitute for my thyroid forever. That's OK, I'm lucky I live in a time when this medicine is offered.

Here's what happened. When they wheeled me into the hospital room I said that my left side was numb, from my face to my toes. My Dr sent in a neurologist because she thought I might have had a mini stroke (yes, I guess there is such a thing as a MINI stroke), during my operation. In the meantime she had the nurses give me some mega-doses of calcium.

They said if the feeling had not come back by morning, they'd do an MRI. By morning I'd started getting back the feeling (I wasn't worried because I felt like it was more my skin than the muscles).

Here's what the Thoracic Surgeon said. The paranthyroid gland is next to the thyroid. She was able to save 3 of these (they are tiny tiny) and put them in my muscle in the neck. She said sometimes they are stunned and stop working but often come back working after awhile.

You have to have calcium in your body. So when I went home I had to take 3 Tums (yes, Tums is what ALL Drs recommend) 3 times a day. After a week she called and said to only take 1 table 1X's a day and get it checked every other week for awhile.

Here's the caveat. The trick is to take the right amount. My son-in-law and daughter are plagued with kidney stones. Too much calcium causes kidney stones.

So, based on what I know and have learned. Have your blood checked first. If your calcium is low take Tums. I told the Dr I'd read that Tums were not absorbed in the stomach well. She said, "I don't know what you read, but it's wrong". So there you have it from 2 Drs who make their living knowing such things.

First and foremost always have your blood checked to see if you are low in any of this. As with anything, too much is as bad as (if not worst) than not enough.

Honored Contributor

SEASWIRL: Is there a reason why you ask? Have you gotten tests indicating calcium is low?

Supplements are not needed. Diet, alone, is all you need.

In regards to diet, stay away from milk & dairy products, carbonated drinks, coffee & other acidic foods like animal products.

Eating anything acidic, your body will have to work overtime to neutralize...leeching minerals from your bones (osteoporosis).

Stick with leafy greens, like collard greens, spinach, kale, chard, broccoli & other plant based whole foods to meet your calcium needs.

Super Contributor

On 9/14/2012 Shelbelle said:
On 9/13/2012 Orchids4me said:
On 9/13/2012 Shelbelle said:

I dont think Calcium and Mag cancel each other out, the mag is needed at same time for absorption. My Calcium supp has mag in it also Vit K and D3.

Last edited on 9/13/2012

What brand do you take? Is it Procaps Lab?

Puritans Pride Bone Care, has calcium, Vit D3, Vit K and mag.

Puritan's Pride Bone Care, is the one I take, and I'm knocking on 70's door.

Contributor

Thanks for all the good info
Honored Contributor

So far, all of the people who had kidney stones were told to cut out calcium. Also, So far, I haven't been told to take calcium (Yay). But I do have a habit of intentionally side-tracking (chit-chat) so they won't have the time to think about prescribing 'this and that'.........(lol)........I figure that if it doesn't show up in a blood test, then forget it.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

You must be kidding! That would be a lesson in biochemistry!

What I will tell you is that I must take a calcium complex twice daily due to a familial history of osteoporosis. I highly recommend "Bone Complex" from Whole Foods. It comes in capsules and is easily swallowed, unlike every other form of calcium I have tried in the last 10 years. My labs confirm that eaten with meals, I am experiencing excellent absorption of the Bone Complex, which is most important.