Super Contributor

Tell me all you know about Calcium supplements.

Tell me all you know about Calcium supplements, particularly for women over 60.

Regular Contributor

Re: Tell me all you know about Calcium supplements.

On 9/28/2012 Julie23 said:

You might find this interesting, and if so, it's better explained in Forks Over Knives. Countries with the highest dairy/calcium intake have some of the highest rates of hip fracture, osteoporosis. Your body better assimilates the calcium found in fruit/vegetables. Meat and dairy actually leach calcium from your bones. (I don't want to confuse you; this is much better explained in Forks Over Knives.)

This is so true. When you consume dairy, it makes your pH levels acidic. More so than it should be.. In order to counteract this acidity the body needs calcium and it takes it from your bones. Kind of like when you have heart burn you take tums.. Which is calcium. I realize this is a really old thread but if I knew this a few years ago I could have prevented a lot of pain.
Honored Contributor

On 9/13/2012 Shogirl said:

I learned something interesting about calcium supplements when I broke my foot a few years ago. The dr. recommended bumping up the amount of calcium I was taking so as to help the bone heal, but I read on the internet that too much calcium can actually have a reversed affect, or rather provide you with LESS benefit than more benefit. So there's a fine line of how much is considered beneficial. I would google it if you're interested.

My doctor had me reduce the amount of calcium I was taking a few months ago.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

happyhousewife: That's what I thought/think. Something we learned way back in Biology class, I believe. We had to study the vitamins, fat soluble (which remain in our bodies, even if we take too much/many) and water soluble, which are excreted, various minerals, etc. I believe it's something that can't be 'tweaked' to fit today's trends.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s. We also learned that we can't fool around with Vitamin K., E, and A. Also Iron. Have to be careful, because it's related to blood clotting/or vice versa........I'll have to look it up. It also could interact with certain prescriptions, etc. Always ask a knowledgeable doctor or pharmacist when taking large doses of certain supplements OTC. A multi vitamin is probably o.k., yet be careful re: too much iron, unless we need it (anemia). Another doc many years ago told me to cut out the iron pills, as I didn't need them anymore.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

It strikes me as odd that this thread is from 2012 (up until Post #33).

It seems the moderators are closing old threads in some of the subforums and not others. That's interesting.

Regarding the original question, the best advice is to ask your own, personal physician(s) and other medical professionals who know you, your specific, individual needs, history, allergies, other meds, that sort of thing.

This is not directed at any specific poster, but think people are relying far too much on healthcare-by-internet. Our health is too precious for that.

{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

On 9/13/2012 Shelbelle said:

I dont think Calcium and Mag cancel each other out, the mag is needed at same time for absorption. My Calcium supp has mag in it also Vit K and D3.

Last edited on 9/13/2012

You are absolutely correct Shelbelle. It used to be recommended a ration of 2:1 calcium to magnesium. The latest I've read (Dr Carolyn Dean, MD)is recommending a 1:2 calcium to mag or at least a 1:1. Adequate levels of magnesium are essential for absorption and metabolism of both calcium and Vit D. Vit K2 and magnesium are essential to keep the calcium dissolved in the blood and properly routed to and absorbed by the bones.

Respected Contributor

On 9/13/2012 robomo said:

Calcium supplements should not be taken by people with kidney stones. You should get your calcium from your diet.

I have suffered from two bouts of kidney stones yearly for the past 8 years.

Two weeks ago I was in the hospital for dehydration, UTI, hypercalcemia which threw my one of my parathyroid glands to go whacky. I suffered from severe lethargy and a sweating from the top of my head. I produce too much calcium and have to take Sensipar.

I asked my doctor if I needed to follow any dietary restrictions and he told me NO. My serum calcium is too high. Part of it was due to hydrochlorothiazide which is a diuretic and anti hypertensive. This medication can cause the elevation in calcium. It is my sincere hope that this new medicine will make the kidney stones stop. They are very painful.

BTW ~ I cannot stand cheese and rarely drink milk.

Honored Contributor

On 9/13/2012 Shelbelle said:

I dont think Calcium and Mag cancel each other out, the mag is needed at same time for absorption. My Calcium supp has mag in it also Vit K and D3.

Last edited on 9/13/2012

ITA

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

On 9/28/2012 catprincess said:

They all give me a stomach ache, so now I chew up 2 TUMS every day!

Tums are not that effective. There is no vitamin d or magnesium in tums. You should add vitamin d if you only chew tums

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"