Frequent Contributor

Re: Teleconfering on Medical Office Visits

My cardiologist wants to do a follow up teleconference visit. I only see him every 6 months for EKG follow up for a heart murmur which my PCP detected which was already checked by ultrasound and no blockage and no symptoms and no shortness of breath. I can't see how a teleconference visit would benefit me.

Esteemed Contributor

I love it, and have been going to the Doctor this way for a few years. It beats sitting in an office with a bunch of sick people. I just pay my usual copay.

Respected Contributor

The email I received from my PCP said the annual exam cannot be done via teleconference, otherwise they do them. Another doctors office said it’s patients responsibility to check with insurance whether it is covered. The one I’m concerned about and don’t think will work this way is my retina checkup. I’ve had three retina surgeries and am pretty much paranoid about getting my checkups, as scheduled. Eyes have to be dilated as well as photos taken (technical equipment). Will see what doctors office says closer to time of appointment. Regarding other doctors, wondering about blood work that is needed for the visit and/or EKG, guess I’ll find out about that soon. Mine are covered, hope they work out okay.
Trusted Contributor

DS had a tumor and lymph nodes removed last week from her bre ast.  She has a tele-visit scheduled next week with the surgeon and he will walk her through removing the bandages.  

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

my husband had a suspicious mole on his ankle reviewed by our Dermatologist via telavisit

@I am still oxox 

I read your post too fast and thought it said your husband had a suspicious mole REMOVED by the dermatologist via televisit.

I was wondering how in the world that worked. I then reread the post and realized my error.

It sure gave me a laugh.

doxie

Honored Contributor

@doxie1 

Thank you for the laugh we sure need all we can get these days

@doxie1 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

my husband had a suspicious mole on his ankle reviewed by our Dermatologist via telavisit

@I am still oxox 

I read your post too fast and thought it said your husband had a suspicious mole REMOVED by the dermatologist via televisit.

I was wondering how in the world that worked. I then reread the post and realized my error.

It sure gave me a laugh.

doxie

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

One of my doctors uses this and it is through a medical app that is supposed to be encrypted well enough to share data. I hope it is.

doxie

Honored Contributor

This is nothing new.  My husband has done calls where he goes over lots of information on the phone with his doctor a few times a year but he goes in other times.  Yes it is charged. 

You don't have to do the video if you're not comfortable with it.  You can just discuss over the phone.  I did this last week with my PCP.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope it goes well for you @Annabellethecat66 😊

I think you make a good point about the cost since it's apparent you won't be getting the same care as if you were in the office.

My mom has a couple of doctors that she sees on a regular basis.  For her last appointment, she was asked to do a teleconference.  My mom just got a smart phone a few months ago and still has problems trying to figure it out, so my sister took off from work to be with her for this appointment.  Mom was so excited to try a doctor's appointment right there in her living room!  When it was time to do the online visit, nothing happened, so my sister called the doctor's office.  She was told that the doctor was running so far behind they'll need to reschedule.  They went ahead and put in a refill on my mom's prescriptions, though.  All that excitement leading up to the internet office visit, and the doctor didn't even show.  My sister was a little mad that she took off from work and they didn't even bother to call to let mom and her know.  They rescheduled for another try in a few weeks, so hopefully that one will work out.

Again, I hope things go smoothly for you, Annabelle.

Super Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 - hope your teleconference goes well for you. 💗