Respected Contributor

Do the store items such as super smile, colgate optic white, crest white strips, peroxide pens and others, WORK FOR OLDER TEETH?

Valued Contributor

They do not have the strength of the Crest white strips that you may be able to purchase directly from your dentist.

If you don't need much in whitening, over the counter could be fine.  If you need more, your dentist would probably have the strength you need. 

I purchase mine from my dentist.

Contributor

I am no expert.  This is info my dentist told me.  How far whitening can occur is based on genetics.  The OTC items will not whiten to the extent the gel does from your dentist. You asked about "older teeth".  This is probably a good question to ask your dentist.  I believe there are several factors which come in to play.  You need to continue with whitening since things like coffee and red wine can continue to stain your teeth.

Respected Contributor

You will need to speak to your dentist.  Many years of stain can't be removed by toothpaste and Crest strips you purcase at a drug store.  It takes something more powerful.  Your teeth and any denture work will be restored to it natural color.  But it will certainly make a difference and it is worth it. 

Honored Contributor

@April-Rose wrote:

I am no expert.  This is info my dentist told me.  How far whitening can occur is based on genetics.  The OTC items will not whiten to the extent the gel does from your dentist. You asked about "older teeth".  This is probably a good question to ask your dentist.  I believe there are several factors which come in to play.  You need to continue with whitening since things like coffee and red wine can continue to stain your teeth.

@April-RoseThat's what my dentist told me as well.

Honored Contributor

I have all crown work, bridges, fillings, root canas and implanted teeth, and I do not want my teeth to look as shiny white as Farah Fawcett's did in those commercials.  I am too old and it would look unnatural.  I first had crowns done in my 40s (after a lot of coffee and tea had been consumed over the years) and I knew white teeth would be so noticeable because my teeth were not shiny white from the time they came in my mouth and certainly not through the years (although I had regular cleanings, brother dentist), and it was our decision I would be better off not whitening beyond their natural state.  I have had repaired crowns, implanted teeth with crowns, etc, and we go with the color they were then and it looks fine for my age.   I tried that whitener and it was very painful for me.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Teeth Whitening?

[ Edited ]

For those who don't have a few hundred dollars lying around collecting dust to have a dentist whiten your teeth .... I love the newest version of Crest Strips.   There are several versions on the shelves.  One box will last me 18 months.  I don't use them every day like it recommends.  I did 2 days in a row the first time and the difference was great!  I've used there periodically ever since... perhaps 1-2 a month at most.  I'm 62.

Honored Contributor

I started improving my teeth about a year ago.  I used SuperSmile.  It didn't whiten to white, but there was an improvement.  I then went to the pens SmileActive and it whitened them some more.  I also use the Crest toothpaste that whitens up to 90% of new stains (there is also one that whitens to 80%, but I get the tube that says 90%) and that really keeps my teeth from new stains day to day.

All in all there is an improvement, I don't glow in the dark white.... but I'd say I reduced the stains by more than half at the least, maybe more.  

These products are effective.  More so for some than others regardless of age!  The trick is to continue using something because day to day we are adding more stains from the things we eat.

I've never had a Dentist whiten them.  I have sensitive teeth and what I've done has not hurt me in any way..... oh I also use Sensedyne about once a week just to maintain no sensitivity.

Good luck!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor
Well, I'm more proof the dentist quoted here is wrong. I have sensitive teeth. I use Synsodine with whitener. I have used Crest whitestrips I buy at Walmart or Sams for awhile now. About once a week, two days in a row. I also use the Crest whitening mouthwash. I get positive comments every time I go for my dentist appt, and they tell me they have nothing that would do better. I drink tea and coffee everyday. My parents and siblings have never had teeth as white as mine. I am not looking for fake looking white teeth, but people comment all the time on how white my teeth are and ask me what I do. I think finding the right product for you is key. This is just what works for me.
Honored Contributor

I think people, especially  those with darker or olive skin tones, look riduculous with bright white, white teeth.  They open their mouths and all you see are phony-looking teeth.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment