Honored Contributor

Re: Tart Cherry Juice question re: arthritis

I buy the tart cherry capsules from Puritans Pride.  I don't know if they help or not.  I have a lot of problems with joint and tendon pain, so I figure I am willing to try about anything which could or might help!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

People need to get an understanding of what is going on within their body when they have a disease or condition so they can realistically figure out if these homeopathic remedies could work. When a person has arthritis the cushion that is in the joint between the 2 bones begins to deteriorate. As it gets thinner and thinner the bones begin to rub on each other and cause pain - as the condition continues over time the pain gets worse and worse. By the time the cartiledge is gone the bones are actually rubbing on each other and  ,rubbing against another hard surface the bones themself will start to deteriorate. The pain worsenes. This is the same process in all arthritic joints. 

Do you honestly think that drinking cherry juice is going to in any way stop this process? How would you think that will happen? What is cherry juice going to do to interfere in this process continuing? 

Regular Contributor

WEIS carries the real thing.  Back in the refridgerate section.

Honored Contributor

Fresh cherries seem to get my husband's gout under control in one day....the pain goes away very soon after he eats a handful of them. The tart cherry juice doesn't seem to have the same effect, but I found cherry capsules at Whole Foods...he uses those when fresh cherries aren't available. Dont know about their effects on arthritis but they might be worth a try.

Super Contributor

As a result of this thread, hubby and I both have been taking the puritan's pride turmeric and tart cherry combo caps. We both have gotten relief. Hubby has an arthritic hip and I have a knee that ached a few days a week when I got up. I have no ache on waking anymore and he is to the point he has been able to rejoin the gym and also stop taking prescription pain relief because he has a lot less pain. Full results for us kicked in after about a week and a half of taking two a day, each one with a meal, as directed on the label.

Honored Contributor

Right now I have a zip loc bag of tart cherry juice ice cubes in the freezer to add to sparkling water or ginger ale whenever I want to have some.  I think the ice cubes are the easiest way to do this.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Right now I have a zip loc bag of tart cherry juice ice cubes in the freezer to add to sparkling water or ginger ale whenever I want to have some.  I think the ice cubes are the easiest way to do this.

I'll try that @Tinkrbl44.  I haven't been able to drink the tart cherry juice that I bought, but this might work.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I'll try that @Tinkrbl44.  I haven't been able to drink the tart cherry juice that I bought, but this might work.

I add the concentrate right to sparkling water and I actully love the taste. I tried adding it to a vanilla smoothie.......and yuck!  It was just too sweet. Try it right in sparkling water. And if the recommended 2 Tablespoons is too much for you.....divide it in 2 doses. It's really quite good for you!