Honored Contributor

Re: Tart Cherry Extract

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox 

Do you have low potassium? Leg cramps are a symptom of that. Tart cherry extract contains a good amount of potassium.

You mentioned 'gout' in your original post so if you don't have that why mention it?

Super Contributor

@drizzellla Yes, I had heard of the pickle juice.  One night after being jarred awake from cramps, I stumbled to the refrig, grabbed the first jar of pickles I could find, and took a drink (sorry ladies, but I live alone so no contamination) and realized it was my jalapeno hot pickles!  

Honored Contributor

I mainly remember reading it is good to help with sleep, probably because that was what I was interested in at the time. HRT helped with that though at least for the time being.  However, I have never had trouble falling asleep, it was staying asleep that became the problem.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I just mentioned it since it was one of the things it helps

@SilleeMee wrote:

@I am still oxox 

Do you have low potassium? Leg cramps are a symptom of that. Tart cherry extract contains a good amount of potassium.

You mentioned 'gout' in your original post so if you don't have that why mention it?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

My dh got on the tart cherry juice bandwagon many, many years ago. We live in cherryland usa so we get fresh cherry juice from any of the many orchards surrounding us. My dh used to be bothered with aches and pains and no longer is afflicted with any now. Man Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I was drinking it before bed to help me sleep---didn't do much. It does have a lot of sugar to it, natural , but still sugar--have to watch the carbs so I stopped.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@I am still oxox @I was drinking tart cherry juice for a long time and didn't see any relief for my back from it. It's supposed to help with sports recovery when muscles are sore after working out. I have read that is helpful for gout. It's supposedly anti inflammatory. 

@Mindy D 

Don't really know anything about tart cherries or extract, but I am familiar with things that can be a cause of gout. Also very familiar with sore muscles after a good workout the cause, along with what has proved to be best for them post their workout.

Over the years along with a lot of reading, I have attended many day long Clinics given by Nutritionists for the USA Olympic Athletes, and also Exercise Physiologist doing the same.

Not many with " normal or low" Uric Acid Levels suffer from gout. There are several causes, with being Overweight and drinking too much Alcohol.

I have always been in the Camp of Prevention, as opposed to the Camp of Removing physical issues. I worked with many overweight men/that drank too much alcohol, then suffered from gout. Along with that came prescriptions for Blood Pressure(diuretic type), which led to dangerously low Potassium Levels.

As for sore muscles after a hard workout, this has a lot to do with Lactic Acid buildup in the muscle tissues. Overextending muscle groups via lack of enough oxygen(anaerobic working out), creates this muscle issue. It does however tell you that your have exceeded your Aerobic Threshold more than your body is conditioned to do so.

This by some Exercise Physiologists is called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness(DOMS), with a different theory than many others. They all agree that is the main purpose of a "Cool Down" after a strenuous workout. For walkers/runners/skaters, the primary muscles used are the upper leg Muscle Groups. Running it is the Back of the leg muscles, the Thigh Biceps(the pulling muscles). With skating it is the Front Leg Muscles above the knee, the Quadriceps(the pushing muscles). The "Cool Down" should consist of using the same muscle group(s), but at a much lesser pace. The longer your workout, the more time should be taken for your "Cool Down".

Will this prevent this muscle soreness? No, but it will lessen it, and also heal(rebuild )them sooner, thus being able to tax them again Walking/Running or Skating. In none of these many Clinics(Nutritionists/Exercise Physiologists) was Tart Cherries or Extract ever mentioned.

hckynut(john) 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@new nickname 4 wrote:

@drizzellla Thank you for this - I have nasty foot cramps at night (also due to my neuropathy from chemo).  I'm going to try it and see if it helps.

Standing up helps because it puts pressure on the muscles that are cramping and makes them work to stabilize you instead.

I moved my bed next to the wall so I can just stretch out my leg(s), put my foot flat on the wall and push-flex-push-hold, count to 10.

Cramp is gone and I didn't have to stand up and lose all my heat.

Heck, if I do it right away I might even be able to get back into the dream. 😴

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@SilleeMee 

I do not have gout I have chronic cramping in my calves

@SilleeMee wrote:

A change in what you eat can have a significant affect on uric acid levels in your body. High levels of uric acid is the root cause of gout and gout-related inflammation (arthritis).

@I am still oxox 

Magnesium oil will help with that.  You can spray it on at bedtime.  

Trusted Contributor

@new nickname 4 wrote:

@drizzellla Yes, I had heard of the pickle juice.  One night after being jarred awake from cramps, I stumbled to the refrig, grabbed the first jar of pickles I could find, and took a drink (sorry ladies, but I live alone so no contamination) and realized it was my jalapeno hot pickles!  

Oh, my, I bet that was a shocker! Just had to laugh at that!😅😅😅😅

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.