Respected Contributor

Tamoxifen and taking supplements

I have 2 more years to go taking Tamoxifen.  I am 65 and have some achiness probably do to age and arthritis.  If I take an Advil it helps but I try not to take it unless it's a real achy day.

My onco said to try glucosomine.  ANyone try ginger or turmeric?  I watched Andrew Lessman and his products seem to be very pure.  I also worry about the mix of Tamo with anything I take but it appears that this is not a problem with these particular supplements.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tamoxifen and taking supplements

I am taking tamox too, will be 65 in June and have a few more years of tamox.  I take a turmeric/ginger supplement too. I think it helps  alot; also take tylenol instead of the nsaids as they are too rough on my stomach. I take a brand called Natures nutrition. Got it from AMZ. It has the black pepper that is needed with turmeric, 1950 mg and take 3 a day. It costs me $22.42 for the 180 caps. Free of soy too.

Honored Contributor

I am glad you mentioned the tumeric having the black pepper in it, so does my Vitacost brand of tumeric. but, last week, when Lessman was touting his, he said he uses an alternative to the black pepper, said the pepper can interfere with other things you are taking. Dr Dubrow adds the black pepper to his Co Q 10, I trust it as being fine. 

Honored Contributor

If you don't trust your doctor then speak to the pharmacist.

Honored Contributor

Most medical doctors know very little about supplements, it is not in their training. 

Respected Contributor

I am on arimidex and take an occasional Claritin for days when I am especially achy. Seems to help. Exercise helps too. Have not tried ginger or turmeric.

Honored Contributor

I have blood work every three months. If I am low in something, the Dr. tells me and I get the supplement. It is usually corrected by next blood work time.

Esteemed Contributor

I am also on Arimidex.  I have only one year left.....yay!!!   I am 58 now and some days it bothers me more than others (achiness).  It is a big part of the side effects to this medicine.  I also excercise daily and I take an excedrin when needed.  It is the only thing that helps me.  Most days I feel pretty good though.  I am a true believer in Andrew Lessman.  I do take his multivitamins everyday and I have taken the Turmeric.  I am not sure if it helps or not???  I also take his CQ-10 which they say can also help with inflammtion.    I'm just happy to be here so I can live with it for sure  Smiley Happy