Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@hckynut   I  found a store that carries both the Teeter and a ProForm 325 CSX, price runs around $470.00...it looks more like a bike.

You are correct the TEETER is more like a 'stepper'....which is why we got rid of the other piece of equipment, to hard on his knees. Thanks

@Mom2Dogs 

I saw this Proform 325 on Amazon and it looks like a good recumbent. The seat looks pretty well padded and it has a lot of options with pre-programmed exercise, while also allowing you to do your own "manual" program.

Amazon price was $387 total. Might check there if for no other reason than they show some good pictures of most of the machine and also gives ALL the specs. 

It looks like 1 I wouldn't  hesitate to buy. Bet they might even carry them in one of our several Sport Equipment stores, maybe even Sears. Keep me posted and good luck! 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@fthunt   I read in the news today that injury that Reed suffered was from resistance bands, not a treadmill.  He lost the lawsuit he filed for his injuries.

Honored Contributor

I really like my elliptical, but also have a gym membership that I use. Sometimes when it is raining outside or for some other reason I don't make it to the gym, it is nice to have the elliptical. 

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler 

Elliptical can be very good machines to use, but anyone getting cortisone shots in their knees! Not so much. I have had mine for many years and it really helped when I was training for Road Races. Don't  use it much nowadays, my recumbents get the most use for much of my cardio.

Happy to hear yours works out good for you.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@LindaSal ...I agree about the treadmill, I do not understand how a person is thrown off one...but I do understand things happen, maybe the speed was to high?

@Mom2Dogs   If a person removed their hands from the bar, they could be thrown off.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Taking suggestions...

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs @hckynut , I swim four days a week and use my elliptical at least one day a week.  My doctor told me to get rid of my treadmill when I was 50.  I am 64 now.  I was wondering about the recumbent bike so @hckynut your information I’d very helpful.  Thanks to both of you for sharing the info.  LM

Honored Contributor

My mother has a treadmill.  It has helped her to be able to go up and down steps without assistance.  She will be 89 soon and I noticed her balance is a bit off so I am concerned about her falling.  I've suggested to her she always hold on to the bars.  She can use her weights for her upper body. I have a treadmill.  I watch TV when I'm on it and the time goes so much faster!

Honored Contributor

@jubilant , good for your mom!! My grandma lived to 104 and she rode a bicycle up until about 102.

Maybe your mom could use a recumbent bike. It sit much lower than a traditional bike. We ended up purchasing one yesterday, although we were not going to buy until fall.  DH has bad knees and he really liked it, the seat is large and comfy and it was easy to peddle.

Honored Contributor

Re: Taking suggestions...

[ Edited ]

• @Mom2Dogs wrote:

@jubilant , good for your mom!! My grandma lived to 104 and she rode a bicycle up until about 102.

Maybe your mom could use a recumbent bike. It sit much lower than a traditional bike. We ended up purchasing one yesterday, although we were not going to buy until fall.  DH has bad knees and he really liked it, the seat is large and comfy and it was easy to peddle.

@Mom2Dogs 

Glad to see you now have a recumbent and that it has comfortable seat. Not easy to pedal? I am sure your's has a way to set the pedal "resistance" level.

While "comfy" is a good thing, might as well raise the Heart Rate while pumping away. Just a tiny bit challenging, eh?  Tell husband to set seat so his knees don't come up too high on the back pedal movement.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut , thanks for the advice, much appreciated.