Honored Contributor

@hckynut thanks for the info.  My husband likes the idea of the recumbent bike and another poster also recommended a similar item.

Ordering online will not work for him, he wants to try it out before buying.   It's also good to know it is not hard on the knees, that is his issue. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  I would think so yes.  Many times people think they can jog on them safely but that is something I wouldn't risk doing.   Also could be a case of just not paying attention.  We've had a treadmill in our house for 30 plus years and thankfully have never had a problem.  Happy walkingSmiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  Both DH and I use a Star Track Pro recumbant bike every day and just love it. We were able to purchase one that was reconditioned so that it wasn't terribly expensive. Our Dr. highly recommended that type of exercise for me. Being that I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and have also had both knees replaced last year, it really helps cardio without the pounding of our old treadmill. Best wishes

Esteemed Contributor

I have a recumbent bike.It’s great.It’s easy on our backs & knees but gives us a great workout. I had to get rid of my treadmill & glider because of back & knee issues. We also walk 20 minutes a day.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@hckynut thanks for the info.  My husband likes the idea of the recumbent bike and another poster also recommended a similar item.

Ordering online will not work for him, he wants to try it out before buying.   It's also good to know it is not hard on the knees, that is his issue. 

@Mom2Dogs 

Don't know where you live, but if you have a store that sells Sports Equipment, I would think they would have Recumbents your husband can try out. 

Gotta remember that seat position is what creates the angle percentage  of the knee joint to the quadriceps muscle. That angle can, and does, make the difference  in how any knee reacts to the resistance  of pushing the pedals.

That is why riding an upright exercycle can actually be bad for anyone's knees. Anytime the knee joint is put in a 90° angle to the quad, and against resistance, it can be bad even for those with no knee issues. Same with standing squats or sitting leg raises, when using free weights or a machine.

My True is an expensive model, but I know the owner of the Sports store, and bought it for 60% of the retail price. It has a seat as comfortable as either of our cars, and the back adjusts the angle one wants, again just like our cars. The back is mesh which helps keep the sweating to a minimum.

My wife needs both of her knees replaced before long and my Ortho friend told her to use the recumbent or swimming to minimize the stress on her knees until she decides to have knee replacment.

Any questions, just ask and I will do my best to answer.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

Didn’t even think of Sport Equipment Resell.

Good idea!

May I add Facebook Market, Craig’s list or local eBay?

Honored Contributor

@hckynut , we are trying to find a store within 75-100 miles that has a TEETER recumbent bike for him to try out. We don't really want to spend more than $500.00 but not sure we can find one at that price.

Most places I have looked at want to just ship to you..that's not gonna work for us.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@hckynut , we are trying to find a store within 75-100 miles that has a TEETER recumbent bike for him to try out. We don't really want to spend more than $500.00 but not sure we can find one at that price.

Most places I have looked at want to just ship to you..that's not gonna work for us.

If you go to the Teeter website, they have a location finder for stores. The bike is selling for $750.00.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Re: Taking suggestions...

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mom2Dogs 

I didn't know Teeter made recumbents. I have his newer inversion table, and his portable piece of equipment. Will have to check his website and see what his recumbent models look like.

I would think I for $500 you could find a pretty good recumbent. ProForm usually have pretty good models without breaking the bank. 

Buying a treadmill is much easier without having to take a test drive. Just knowing the specs like the length and width are the important  things, of course the motor/belt and the roller sizes are the main specs. Recumbents need to be a good fit for those using it, especially if the user plans on spending long periods of time doing so.

Gotta get ready for my ice skating, Friday is 1 of my days. Hope you can find what you think will work for you.

ETA  Just checked the Teeter Freestep(recumbent(?), not my type of recumbent. Looks more like an elliptical movement than pedaling a bike. My NuStep has a very similar type of motion, not even close to my recumbent.

I prefer "specificity" in my exercise machines, not a multi-muscle workout. That seat would not work for me as it looks too hard for my long rides.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut   I  found a store that carries both the Teeter and a ProForm 325 CSX, price runs around $470.00...it looks more like a bike.

You are correct the TEETER is more like a 'stepper'....which is why we got rid of the other piece of equipment, to hard on his knees. Thanks