Frequent Contributor

Re: Taking antibiotics before dental work?

Thank you to all that replied. The dentist says it is my decision, the ortho says absolutely and the gastro doctor says caution, because of a reaction to a certain antibiotic, will most likely take amoxicillin, weighing it all out!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Same here.   Heart valve issue diagnosed in mid 70s and I took antibiotics for quite a few year before dental work.  

I think it was the early 90s when it was discontinued.  Been to the dentist every six months since the 90s ... no issues.  I think I had two extractions during that time.  Everything else was cleaning and cosmetic.

I had implant surgery in 2003 ... I had an IV overnight - but discharged the next day and told to take Tylenol!   

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@share  My dentist tells me that is old information and they no longer give antibiotics before dental work after joint replacement except right  after surgery ...up to six months. Then no more. 

I am a double hip and double knee replacement patient.... going on 6 years now and have had cleanings, root canals and pulled teeth with no antibiotics given prior to work done. 

I have IBS and avoid anti-biotics whenever possible. My condition is carefully managed by the extremely careful diet and supplement regimen I follow.  My gut problems were partically caused by the indiscriminate use of anti-biotics.

I had both hips replaced, one in 2008 and another in 2017.  

I researched the issue and discussed it with my dentist (who agrees with your dentist.)  As a precaution I pretreated with antibiotics for 2 years post surgery.  

I've had extensive dental work (similar to yours) through the years with no adverse results after stopping the antibiotics. 

Esteemed Contributor

@share 

I take antibiotics before all dental work because that's standard treatment for my particular circumstances. 

The American Heart Association makes the recommendation for anyone with my (heart valve) diagnosis, and my dentist has always followed that.

You should share your question/concern with your Dr and dentist before your dental appointment to find out what the current standard practice is for your situation. 

Esteemed Contributor

@donniesmom 

They have pulled waaaay back on that.

AHA used to recommend I take big doses of antibiotics both before, and for days after any dental procedure.

The doses were big enough to upset the normal flora balance, resulting in annoying fungal overgrowth. At this point they were just learning some targeted bacteria was becoming resistant, largely due to this type of over prescribing "just in case".

Over the years they've pulled back on the recommend dosage, realizing more doesn't equal better, and can actually be harmful to the patient.

Honored Contributor

Administration of prophylactic antibiotics is contributing to the growing problem with superbugs. The medical and agricultural communities are making efforts to not do that by reducing antibiotic usage.

Honored Contributor

My husband has had bilat hip replacements and his dentist insists on antibiotics before any dental work, so does his orthopedic surgeon.

Trusted Contributor

It appears that it depends on the doctor’s or dentist’s opinion, since we’re seeing both sides. No wonder people are confused about what to do. If I can stay away from antibiotics that would be my preferred choice. 

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@share We can't give you medical advice.

This is something to discuss with your doctor and dentist, not people who don't know your medical history. Good luck.

I think it is perfectly fine for people to share their experiences here. That’s why the Wellness forum is helpful and interesting to most. 

Respected Contributor

As a precaution, I take antibiotics before routine dental procedures due to the fact that I have Mitral Valve Prolapse.  The information may be old, but it's only twice a year.  I don't seem to have any bad side effects due to the antbiotics.