Valued Contributor

Re: Taking Supplements, yes or no?

@tends2dogs thank you for your info on your thyroid support supplement. Oh I found out about Selenium and hair loss the hard way. Now I take 200 mg twice a week. 

I have been to countless Endos and it is so difficult to find one who will treat symptoms and not only lab results, not to mention how I have to tell her to test my T3. I do think I have an issue converting according to results however doctor swears I don't. I asked her to at least let me try Armour and she told me I didn't need it. Needless to say I am still looking for that perfect endo. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

Yes, and I can't prove one way or the other if they work, but I feel they fill a gap that I don't get through my admittedly poor nutrition.

Esteemed Contributor

@SandPiper wrote:

@tends2dogs thank you for your info on your thyroid support supplement. Oh I found out about Selenium and hair loss the hard way. Now I take 200 mg twice a week. 

I have been to countless Endos and it is so difficult to find one who will treat symptoms and not only lab results, not to mention how I have to tell her to test my T3. I do think I have an issue converting according to results however doctor swears I don't. I asked her to at least let me try Armour and she told me I didn't need it. Needless to say I am still looking for that perfect endo. 

@SandPiper  First, I hope you mean 200 mcg. not mg. for the selenium.  That is what most multi vitamins have.  I found out the hard way, too, and taking this amount daily hasn't effected my hair at all.  You might want to try it daily, but that is JMHO. 

You should be tested for T3 and T4 , TSH, and antibodies.  Keep looking for someone that will work with you on this.  It will be worth it.  Once you get it right, it makes a world of difference. 

When I first went in, I told my PA that I felt flat emotionally, not really depressed, but flat is the only way I can describe it.  Also, low energy, weight gain without diet change, and hair loss.  She immediately tested me for hypothyroidism.  Bingo. 

I don't go to an ENDO.  I have been fortunate to find a clinic where they are knowledgeable about this and the way to treat it. 

They are located in Grand Rapids, Michigan and it is called the Born Preventive Clinic.  I had a local doctor recommend this place for another problem years ago and I have been going back ever since.  It is quite a drive for us, but well worth it.  One draw back, they don't take a insurance.  You can always turn it in to your insurance though. 

I hope you can find someone and get on to the road to balance.  All the best. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I take several supplements from Andrew Lessman. There are a few that I take that I assume are working, but I trust Andrew. Those would be the Omega 3, Ultimate Eye, and Vitamin D. Then I have some that I take where I have actually noticed a difference. His Essential 1, Healthy Hair Skin & Nails, and Breast Health.

I have to admit that sometimes I cringe when Colleen is hosting with him, because it seems as if she takes a lot of pills, but I try to remember it's an individual choice and if she or others are happy with the results that they have then that is the most important factor.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I've been taking supplements for years. Since I have no medical issues and don't take any medication, I feel confident in taking supplements that I have researched thoroughly. People need to be aware of possible side effects of what they are taking, interactions with other medications, and contraindications with certain medical issues. Most individuals should be clearing supplements with their own physician.

Respected Contributor

I swear by Andrews Glucosamine and Chroindrotin. I stopped taking it and I ended up with a horrible case of Sciatica. I had been doing pretty well before that. I also take his 1 multi vitamin, Healthy legs and Turmeric (yes, I definitely see a difference with these two). I also have been taking his healthy hair, skin, and nails (yes I see a difference) and his Omega 3. I stopped taking COQ10 because at one point a few years ago, my liver enzymes were high. I took myself off all supplements except the Omega 3 and Glucosamine and Chrondrotion. I lost 58 pounds. Then I added my supplements again. My liver enzymes went up a little but so I have taken myself off of the COQ10 again as I read that it can cause liver enzymes to elevate. We shall see. I know my liver enzymes did not elevate from the multi vitamin, Glucosamine and Chrondroition because I have taken those all along. I have not gained the weight that I lost back either. If next time I have my labs drawn and my liver enzymes are down again, I will attribute it to the COQ10. 

Esteemed Contributor

I know this subject is controversial...

Yes, I do take several, and not on the advice of a doctor. (Doctors, whom I have had no reason to visit in many, many years!)

I do not get colds, I can whip around my block in under 30 with no aches & pains, my skin all over is well hydrated, my hair & nails grow fast, and I sleep pretty good!

I figure...you're going to pay for good health up front (with healthy eating, exercise & supplements), or you're going to be sitting in a doctor's waiting room, holding your prescriptions to be refilled.

Honored Contributor

I think everyone should take a good quality multivitamin daily - I also take a hair,skin & nails and my hair is healthy and shiny. I do think that some folks have really been taken in by the vitamin/supplement industry. 

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Since I had gastro problems and could not eat like I should in 2016, I started taking a Kid's Multi vitamin and I am quite pleased with it.  It and what I eat gives me what I need.

I will not take on that has over 100% of MDR.  Why put 1,000 time anything you need into your body?

@Zhills, I feel the same way about overkill in many vitamin supplements.  I never thought of taking a children's vitamin instead.  I am going to try it.

Honored Contributor

I take supplements. I don't feel you can get all the nutrients you need because of soil depletion. The only Big Pharma drug I take is NP Thyroid (natural form). DH does not take anything. I feel it has a lot to do with the supplements we take. Most people our age at least take high blood pressure, cholesterol drugs to name a few.