Honored Contributor

Re: Taking Collagen as a supplement for skin health

I was taking both Biocell & Neocell collagen supplements for quite awhle, but have recently amended my thinking as to what to take, how, and when.  With the Biocell, the dose is 2 capsules, Neocell is 4 capsules, and both are recommended to take on an empty stomach.  For some time, I've been under the impression that Collagen I & III could be taken together, II should be taken alone, and all three should not be mixed together.  It got to be somewhat of a burdensome schedule, not to metion so many capsules to take with, in addition to our regular supplements, when we travel.  I ended up falling off the wagon a couple of months ago.  My husband and I began following the ketogenic way of eating at the end of June.  I'm also incorporating Intermittent Fasting.  Since then, I've found a multi collagen powder (bovine, chicken, beef bone broth, marine, and egg shell) that is tasteless and mixes easily into my morning coffee. I've only been taking it a few weeks but am already noticing a difference in my joints and my skin.  I like doing my skincare, but one of these days I'm going to sit down and seriously re-evaluate what I can eliminate and what to keep.  

Honored Contributor

I find this confusing,  i am not sure what type of collagen to take ,for joints, and skin,so i ordered one from amazon,Vital proteins.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Well it's been exactly 4 weeks today since I started taking marine collagen powder. From what I have read that is about the length of time it takes to experience "results".  As of today I have seen no changes to my hair, skin or nails. So what this means for me is either it's not doing what it claims to do or I haven't taken it long enough to see what it's suppose to do...what ever that means.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  I took Andrew Lessman's marine collagen for a year and never saw any results. I kept thinking"What's wrong with me?" when other people posted about great, noticeable results. 🤔

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

@SilleeMee  I took Andrew Lessman's marine collagen for a year and never saw any results. I kept thinking"What's wrong with me?" when other people posted about great, noticeable results. 🤔

Now I don't feel so bad.Woman Very Happy @BExplorer  I'm glad you said that because I was starting to wonder if it was just me or what. Kudos to you for giving it a year! I'm not going that long. I think I'll give it another 4 weeks then stop if things don't change...and I have a feeling they won't.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

Now I don't feel so bad.Woman Very Happy @BExplorer  I'm glad you said that because I was starting to wonder if it was just me or what. Kudos to you for giving it a year! I'm not going that long. I think I'll give it another 4 weeks then stop if things don't change...and I have a feeling they won't.

I just posted on community chat: Can we trust on line reviews?

Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

@BExplorer 

I believe the Power of Suggestion is really, really, really strong 

when it comes to supplements, skincare & other ‘care’ processes

(oil pulling immediately comes to mind).  These processes

can take months & months to show any improvement, if there 

really is one.  The ‘immediate’ change just tells me things were

kinda wheels off to begin with...and ANYthing would be 

an improvement.  Just the fact of drinking water while 

taking a supplement...that could be the change the body’s

reacting to. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Well it's been exactly 4 weeks today since I started taking marine collagen powder. From what I have read that is about the length of time it takes to experience "results".  As of today I have seen no changes to my hair, skin or nails. So what this means for me is either it's not doing what it claims to do or I haven't taken it long enough to see what it's suppose to do...what ever that means.

Last weekend the Dubrows were on hawking their collagen powder and I believe I heard him say it could take around 3 months for some of the benefits to start happening. He may have been referring to the cellulite benefits though.  I'm taking it a while too now (over a month) and not sure if it's doing anything (I do SO MANY things, I may not be able to tell what's responsible for what benefit). I have a few more months supply on hand that I'll use up and make a decision then, since I already have it.  Maybe I'm just maxed out on improvements LOL!

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I was taking both Biocell & Neocell collagen supplements for quite awhle, but have recently amended my thinking as to what to take, how, and when.  With the Biocell, the dose is 2 capsules, Neocell is 4 capsules, and both are recommended to take on an empty stomach.  For some time, I've been under the impression that Collagen I & III could be taken together, II should be taken alone, and all three should not be mixed together.  It got to be somewhat of a burdensome schedule, not to metion so many capsules to take with, in addition to our regular supplements, when we travel.  I ended up falling off the wagon a couple of months ago.  My husband and I began following the ketogenic way of eating at the end of June.  I'm also incorporating Intermittent Fasting.  Since then, I've found a multi collagen powder (bovine, chicken, beef bone broth, marine, and egg shell) that is tasteless and mixes easily into my morning coffee. I've only been taking it a few weeks but am already noticing a difference in my joints and my skin.  I like doing my skincare, but one of these days I'm going to sit down and seriously re-evaluate what I can eliminate and what to keep.  

Can I ask which brand of collagen you switched to? Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Valstybaby wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Can I ask which brand of collagen you switched to? Thank you.

@Valstybaby  I did a lot of looking around because I'm trying to keep the cost within reason since DH and I are both taking it.  I ended up getting the plain version of Codeage on Amazon (white tub w/orange writing).  You can buy it as a single purchase or set up a subscription and save a little by doing that.  We take one scoop (included in the tub) daily.  I have recently switched to having mine in the afternoon, though, as I've learned that collagen peptides in the morning can break a fast.