Honored Contributor

Taking Collagen as a supplement for skin health

I started taking the Life Extension  brand chewable gummie Collagen.  I do question how helpful this is for skin taken internally.  I will take it for 6 months at suggested dosage and report back what I see or feel.  

Are any of you on a regiment of taking collagen in some form internally?  If so do you notice any positive changes in your skin?

Honored Contributor

Re: Taking Collagen as a supplement for skin health

I take Beauty Bursts for collagen and I’ve notice my skin is more supple. When I’ve stopped taking them is when I really notice they are working.  I know they have a good amount of collagen because it causes me to “go” more often I had to cut back from the suggested 2 to one burst a day.  

The gummi collagen just didn’t seem to have enough to make a discernible difference which is unfortunate because if all my meds and supplements came in gummi form I’d be a happy camper!

Respected Contributor

I just started collagen too.

I'll be watching this post to see the reports of others.

My concern is hair texture and thinning. 

In my reading I did not know that it could also improve gut heath.

Honored Contributor

I have been taking Verisol Collagen daily in tablet from, I find the best benefit has been in my nails, they are amazingly long and strong. I take either Puritans Pride or Natures Bounty, same formula in both. I wanted to try it when Dr Dubrow was touting the benefits from ingesting Verisol on Evine. I also started taking non wheat Phytoceramides just recently. There are a few other threads here from the last several weeks on Collagen and Phytoceramides if you want to search for them, I think they will be quite helpful, they were to me. 

Regular Contributor

I've used it for over a year and my skin and nails look really good. 

Football is my favorite season.
Honored Contributor

Yes, I'm taking a marine collagen powder supp. Just started last week. I read that it takes 4 to 6 weeks to see anything happen...whatever that means.

Regular Contributor

@granddi wrote:

I just started collagen too.

I'll be watching this post to see the reports of others.

My concern is hair texture and thinning. 

In my reading I did not know that it could also improve gut heath.

On my doctor's reccomendation, I take biotin for thinning hair and I think it's helping. My bald spot is filling in. 

Football is my favorite season.
Honored Contributor

Collagen and Phytoceramides...and they sort of the same type of product?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Collagen and Phytoceramides...and they sort of the same type of product?

No, those are not the same. Collagen is a protein derived from animals and phytoceramides is a type of waxy lipid made from plants. @Mom2Dogs 

Surrounding a an infant's skin at birth is high concentration of ceramides. Nature's ultimate moisturizer and skin protectant.

Respected Contributor

I just started a complete collagen protein powder last week and hopefully, will see some results in the next couple of months. The main reason for taking is relief for osteoarthritis my joints. I had knee surgery and deal with bone on bone knees. If I see results in the hair, skin, and nails then that will be a bonus!