Honored Contributor

Re: Taking Collagen as a supplement for skin health

@Effie54 wrote:

I wish I could take collagen, but its animal derrived, (bovine or porcine) and I'm terribly allergic to animal additives in supplements. It sounds like it works though. 

Try the Phytoceramides plant based. 

Esteemed Contributor

The best one can expect is having had good genes passed down to you through one or both parents.  People are constantly surprised to know that I'm 25 years older than they think I am.

When we moved to a different state and were confronted with trash water, I started taking PureFormulas Biotin.  It has been miraculous for my nails and surprisingly made a difference to my hair as well.

I would not waste my money on collagen.  That's just me.  Why?  It's protein.  When you ingest any protein, your stomach produces HCL - hydrochloric acid and other chemicals -  to denature the protein, eventually, through the digestive process, taking it down to its constituants parts......Amino Acids or AAs.  Amino acids can be absorbed through the intestinal wall.  Whole proteins cannot.  So, maybe someone can tell me how collagen reforms after many amino acids absorb through the intestines and enter the portal system on their way to the liver.

Honored Contributor

I have tried Biotoin at very high doses, up to 10,000 mcg daily, and it has done nothing for hair, skin or nails, been taking it for last 15 years, still aking it along with collagen and phytoceramides. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

I wish I could take collagen, but its animal derrived, (bovine or porcine) and I'm terribly allergic to animal additives in supplements. It sounds like it works though. 

Collagen is not the same thing as phytoceramides...two completely different substances. One cannot be substituted for the other.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

Collagen is not the same thing as phytoceramides...two completely different substances. One cannot be substituted for the other.

Yes, but if she cant tolerate the collagen, at least try the phytoceramides. 

Respected Contributor

I have been taking Colla Holla for about 5 months, and I see a dfference in my skin and FEEL a difference in my joints...

Honored Contributor

Has anyone experienced seeing less crepey skin? 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Has anyone experienced seeing less crepey skin? 

Yes, between the Verisol and the phytoceramides, the backs of my arms and my thighs are much smoother to the touch. 

Honored Contributor

My post is not about my skin but it's about my eyes. I have eye floaters and sometimes they get bad...they come and go. I'm not making any medical claims here but since I've been taking collagen supps, almost a month now, I've noticed that my eye floaters don't seem to get bad anymore. They are still there but way less noticeable. I'm not complaining one bit!Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

GaQshopper53    I am about to get a knee replacement and I'm very nervous.  Never had anything like this before but its bone against bone, very painful. Will be in hospital 2 And a half days then home for visiting nurse and PT for a week . Then I go outside for 6 weeks of PT.  I live alone but have a couple of friends dropping in.  How was it for you ?