Regular Contributor

My mom is having a hard time hearing the tv. Someone has told my mother that there are headsets that helps you to hold hear the tv better. Has anyone tried something like this and do they work? Are the hard to set up? 

Honored Contributor

There are all kinds of sound amplifiers.

It depends on what she is willing to wear on her ears.

Does she currently have a hearing aid?   If so check with the manufacturer, there may be a specific type of amplifier to match it.

If you think she would wear headphones, you can buy wireless headphones made specifically for a TV,  you can find them anywhere you buy electronics.   One part plugs into your TV or cable box, sends the sound to headphones.

There are also sound amplifiers that fit in the ear like earbuds.

I did a bunch of research at one time when I needed them but never purchased and now that I live alone, I keep the TV up as loud as I want!   

@jagk wrote:

My mom is having a hard time hearing the tv. Someone has told my mother that there are headsets that helps you to hold hear the tv better. Has anyone tried something like this and do they work? Are the hard to set up? 

Respected Contributor

My father in law has this and he loves it.  He is almost totally deaf, does use hearing aides.  I can't speak to the ease of setting it up, though.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@jagk

There are many choices of electronic devices that can be used for this problem. Different prices with different features depending on how much a person wants to spend.

Newer tv sets have inputs for these to just plug in and "go". There are Bluetooth and others that will automatically find your connection. Easy to google "tv headsets and or amplifiers", read the features and how many ways each connects 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

My aunt has been using TV Ears for a few years, and I bought a set for my mom. Wonderful!!!!! Restores peace to the house again -- no blaring TV -- and Mom can hear clearly.

Easy to set up. Just plug in the base unit charging station. That's it. Once fully charged, the headset holds a charge for about 8 hours.  Read the instructions or contact the TV Ears people -- they have great customer service. Visit their website and you'll learn a lot. I highly recommend the product!!!!!

Valued Contributor

My husband has the Sony RFMDRRF985RK headphones with Transmitter Base. He uses them every night. He is happy with the sound and I happy without the sound! They are comfortable too. About 100 dollars from Amazon. He bought his at Best Buy.

Honored Contributor

@piperbay wrote:

My husband has the Sony RFMDRRF985RK headphones with Transmitter Base. He uses them every night. He is happy with the sound and I happy without the sound! They are comfortable too. About 100 dollars from Amazon. He bought his at Best Buy.

My DH has the same type only made by Zennheiser, We have an extra pair of head phones too.  Easy to set up and our home is wonderfully quiet now.  He used to turn the volume up the whole way.  You can listen to them only through the headphones or through the headphones and the TV speakers both at the same time I'd you wish.