Honored Contributor

TRYING TO ENCOURAGE PLANT BASED EATING IN A MEAT LOVER

Hubby has received a diagnosis, unfortunately, that will necessitate changes.  He loves meat, but his particular cancer responds best to plant based diet.

I like to cook vegetarian, and have introduced him to some things he likes.  It's difficult, though, because he dislikes certain vegetarian staples (that I love) like eggplant, zucchini and all other squash, and oddly, even ONIONS, if you can believe it!

Has anyone here found dishes that meat-preferring loved ones will actually eat and enjoy?   Pluses on hubby's part are that he loves Indian food, and loves mushrooms and a fair variety of beans too.

Super Contributor

Re: TRYING TO ENCOURAGE PLANT BASED EATING IN A MEAT LOVER

Try the website “ Forks Over Knives”. I think you will find it interesting and helpful!

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much, @Mermaid22!   I will definitely check it out.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  First and foremost, I'm sorry that your husband has received that diagnosis.  Since this will represent a lifestyle change for him my advice is to integrate slowly or it will not take.  I had to do the same thing for my husband (cardiac related though) many years ago.  They like what they like and it takes patience to get them to try something different Woman Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

@Oznell  For fast food options there is The Impossible Burger made entirely from plants.

Here  

https://www.impossiblefoods.com/

https://www.impossiblefoods.com/locations/

I've tried it and while more expensive than other burgers, it was pretty good.  Much better tasting than turkey burgers or other type of veggie burgers. 

Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@Oznell  For fast food options there is The Impossible Burger made entirely from plants.

Here  

https://www.impossiblefoods.com/

https://www.impossiblefoods.com/locations/

I've tried it and while more expensive than other burgers, it was pretty good.  Much better tasting than turkey burgers or other type of veggie burgers. 

The problem with "The Impossible Burger" is that is contains coconut oil which is decidedly not a part of a whole food plant based diet.

No processed oils are part of a whole food plant based diet.

I also would recommend the Forks Over Knives site to get started.  Vegetarian isn't the same as WFPB.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell I am so sorry to hear this news.   Normally for a meat lover, I might suggest transitional baby steps when going plant based.  However, because your husband has been diagnosed with cancer it is warrior time.  I would approach it on all levels....watch all the plant based films that include the major plant based doctors and others.  Buy or go to the library to get the books. Get on YouTube and watch the plant based videos.

I don't know your background, but when you write "vegetarian", that usually means dairy/eggs.  This "food" is not appropriate for someone who has a challenged immune system (or anyone else).  What I did for my DH when he transitioned to plant based, I created hearty meals. Check out chef AJ and High Carb Hannah on You Tube as well as the Internet Forks Over Knives/McDougall.  One of my husband's favorite meals  is baked potatoes with a vegan mushroom gravy usually served with greens or salad (no oil dressing).  Rip Esselystyn's book (Engine2) contains a lot of recipes that are plant based and hardy.  Personally, if my loved one had cancer I would book us into True North where fasting is medically supervised to facilitate/speed up the healing process.  

Immerse yourself in the plant based lifestyle.   I have so much more that I could write because healing requires looking at every aspect of your life it is not just about the food you eat.....although this is critical.  Listen to the plant based doctors and patients who have cured themselves and others of this disease and never forget that this is possible.  Ultimately, your husband has to be willing to change.  Much love.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

Check out YouTube for whole food plant based recipes.  Lots of ideas from many different whole food plant based eaters.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell

So sorry to hear about your husband’s diagnosis.

We have to remember,

to make big changes, you have to make big changes.

With a diagnosis like that, ‘vegetarian’ or ‘moderation’ is not going to get the results he wants and/or needs. My mantra of ‘low fat, whole foods, plant based eating’ couldn’t be more perfect for a situation like this.

Beans & lentils are probably the best meat replacements. 

It’s not the ‘meat’ people crave...it’s the seasoning & fat/oil/sugar.

At this point, he has to think of Food as medicine...and that will dictate

the commitment. I must suggest the FB page ‘McDougall Friends’ or

the actual McDougall website, which has a forum, testimonies,

recipes. educational everything, which will support him on this journey. 

(All these resources are free). 

Change is hard.

The mindset will be the biggest hurdle.

Good luck, dear...🌼💛

@Oznell

ETA.

We speak of total immersion to this lifestyle.

Dr. John McDougall has a 10-day live-in program out in California.

I would never casually suggest this program because it is pricey

(yes, it’s on my Bucket List!), but I just checked...the next one 

begins June 8-17.  Maybe that’s a sign?

Honored Contributor

Ask at the oncologist's office for a consult with a nutritionist.

An expert may change hubby's mind plus it will give you help with recipes.

When my husband was diagnosed, it's what we did, we were given great resources.

And whatever your exact diagnosis, there is probably support there as well.

Also try the Cancer Society.

Best wishes for a positive outcome.