Honored Contributor

Re: TRYING TO ENCOURAGE PLANT BASED EATING IN A MEAT LOVER

@GingerPeach  I just posted the name of the thread in the post above.  You might want to read The World Peace Diet or go to Will Tuttle's website if this subject matter interests you.  I have other suggestions, but I don't want to usurp this important thread for Oznell.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @phoenixbrd

I've been reading about nutrition since the days of Adelle Davis and Carlton Fredricks (no matter how they are regarded today).  It's fascinating to find so much today that is finally useful and makes sense. 

I found your thread in the "Among Friends" forum.

Sorry, @Oznell.  Again, all the best to you both as you go through this together.  

I did like @phoenixbrd's comment early on about being a warrior.  That was powerful to read.  I hope you will both continue to be the warriors I am sure you already are.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Again, I am most grateful for all input-- thank you, kind people!  I did not expect all the responses.

Interestingly, few if any of the medical people have yet suggested a diet direction;  I just knew from past reading that plant-based would be the best option.  It is another matter to fully convince him, I think-- that's why all these ideas from you all will be most helpful. 

He does respect the science on all this-- I think it's a matter of sort of emotionally letting go of past habits and affinities.  Knowing him as I do, I'm appealing to his naturallly rational, scientific, logical nature, and trying not to hit him with everything all at once, ha.  You all have given me just what I need in the way of ammunition and, ahem, "food for thought",  thanks all!

Valued Contributor

Dear Oznell - you said that "few if any of the medical people have yet suggested a diet direction." That doesn't surprise me at all. When my mother had colon cancer 10 years ago, we didn't get any help from medical people concerning any type of diet for her. My siblings and I had to go on the internet and try to figure something out. Also, one of my children just finished her 2nd year in college and she is studying to be a Registered Dietician. She said doctors maybe take 1 nutrition class in med school - they don't know a lot about nutrition. One of her professors said doctors and nurses will consult with Dieticians about nutrition.

There is a difference between a Registered Dietician and a Nutritionist. A Registered Dietician has to pass a national examination (like a registered nurse does). Dieticians are considered to be nutritionists but not all nutritionists are dieticians. I wish our mother's doctor/s would have put us in contact with a Registered Dietician 10 years ago (or, I wish we would have known to be put in contact with one).

From the nutrition classes she's taken so far, my DD said her Bio Chem and Nutrition professors both said not to do a Ketogenic diet. As far as a plant based diet, she tried to explain to my un-scientific mind, that amino acids make up proteins. Essential amino acids are ones your body can't produce - you have to get those from foods. Meats are a complete protein. In a plant based diet, you're dealing with complementary proteins which means you have to get your protein from 2 or more sources. You have to plan a lot more for a plant based diet to make sure you get sufficient protein. With a plant based diet some people might not get sufficient fats and proteins (that's why planning is so important to do for a plant based diet).

Sorry this is so long Oznell but I've been thinking about you and thought you might want to consider asking your husband's doctor about putting you in contact with a Registered Dietician. (You're probably feeling a little overwhelmed which is very understandable).

Continued prayers for you and your husband.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

Just a reminder....you’re going to get a lot of pushback from 

well-meaning friends & family...even doctors & nutrition educators 

who don’t fully understand the plant-based lifestyle.

Mention ‘Plant Based’ and everyone is suddenly worried about 

the nutrient ‘protein’.  It is/was/never will be an issue.

The ‘protein combining’ is an old myth. If one is eating enough

calories to sustain life, you’re eating enough of the nutrient protein.

In fact, where do cows get their nutrition?  Plants.

Just cut out the middleman. 

Here’s a transcript of Dr. Michael Greger’s video explaining,

much better than I can, this very, v.e.r.y common concern.

B37E0A12-1264-4B2B-9EDE-6F3AC880E4C3.jpeg

Honored Contributor

So very kind and dear of you, @cimeranrose and @sidsmom, to have our well-being on your minds, and to be sharing your insights and information.

Much appreciated, and many, many thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell@cimeranrose@sidsmom

Regarding "incomplete protein", you can easily see what amino acids are contained in any food by going to Cronometer.com and looking at the nutritional profile.

You will see that there are many foods in a whole food plant based diet that contain all of the amino acids.   I just put in lentils, black beans, brown rice and broccoli.  They all contain all of them.

You might be interested in reading a bit about the amino acid, methionine, which is very high in animal proteins and which is  implicated in cancer growth.  You might want to keep your methionine levels lower to reduce the risk of cancer.  WFPB protein sources contain it, too, but not in the amounts that animal products do.

You might want to read Dr. GArth Davis' book, Proteinaholic, as well.

Honored Contributor

check out 

inspiralized.com

she has a lot of meatless options