Esteemed Contributor

TRACE MINERAL/ELECTROLYTE DRINKS

Does anyone use these......like the packets that you mix with water?  If so, what brand and how often do you use.  Daily?

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: TRACE MINERAL/ELECTROLYTE DRINKS

[ Edited ]

Unless electrolytes/minerals are being used up excessively through exercise or b/c of some medical reason, I wouldn't be taking them. 

A daily consumption of healthy fruits/vegs plus plenty of water is usually enough to keep electrolytes in check.

Respected Contributor

I buy Liquid IV when it is on sale at Costco (as it is right now).  I also buy Ultima Replenisher at CVS when I have a coupon, otherwise it's available at Amazon or their website.  I've tried and not liked Nuun and one other that I got from QVC.  Interestingly, I checked my order status to try to remember the brand but I don't see it now.  Anyway, both Liquid IV and Ultima Replenisher are good and come in a variety of flavors. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee  I was asking because my husband rides his bike and it is near 90 here now.  Also, because he had/has lyme disease, I read where it was benficial for that.  I have read so much stuff about it (lyme) I don't recall why they recommended.  Woman Frustrated  He has been drinking one daily for awhile, but I am out now.  I was looking for recommendations. 

Respected Contributor

I think I have packets on hand but usually just grab a bottle when I feel I need it (ie feel light-headed throughout the day). One usually does the trick. I get a pack of Propel (mixed flavors) when they go on sale.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

I used to drink Gatorade.

Esteemed Contributor

I keep that on hand, too, @SilleeMee .  

Esteemed Contributor

Look carefully at the label, some have high sodium, sugar or artificial sweeteners.  Those might not be in his best interest.

Valued Contributor

We always have Propel on hand. I find I feel better all around when I get extra electrolytes in my system. Cancer survivor here and old!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs  Most people are difficient in potassium so I drink a serving of an electrolyte supplement daily.  You need to be careful not to overdo them because too much potassium can be dangerous.  Check the daily requirement based on your age and caloric intake, then evaluate what you're getting from food sources and use a supplement accordingly.  I have carefully researched and found brands that are sugar free and have no maltodextrin.  At home, we use the bulk version with a scoop. When eating out or traveling, we use the packets.  My favorites are:

PureBoost (packets)

Keppi (bulk powder or packets)

Powder Vitamins Store (bulk - comes in a large pouch)

Of the three, the Powder Vitamins Store is the most economical and available as an Amazon subscription.